• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Reputation System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
Hello PC,

I have a proposal to requisition a reputation system, like what other forums have. This would help members identify more helpful individuals, and provide an incentive to posting good, well written posts. Thus, it'd boost productivity here on the PokéCommunity. The intention of personal reputation is to thank or acknowledge a specific member for something they have done, rather than a post they may have made. You can only leave positive personal reputations. You may also leave a comment when giving personal reputation. This would be accomplished utilizing a system that "ranks" individuals based upon their experience and/or knowledge in that particular subject, idea, or so on and so forth. For instance, Joe could have a rep. of 7, meaning he has accumulated over 3000 "rep. points", which in turn symbolizes Joe's compassion and understanding on the forum.

Now, to give Joe his "rep. point"(or whatever you want to dub it as), you would visit Joe's profile, and click a new added icon (similar to the report icon) that will add a "rep. point" to Joe's total "Reputation".

Some users may find my idea reductive. If one wishes to disagree with my thoughts, so be it. Just explain why.

I also understand that this idea may not happen overnight if the moderators/admins find this desirable. Coding and web programming is a hassle. However, if this were to come into effect, I for one, would find it very effective.

Please, share your thoughts with me.

droomph

weeb
Years
I has been implemented before, and the main reason they took it away was because people misused it. I believe they even reintroduced it for a while, but I guess that didn't work out quite well :I

At least that's what I've heard. Maybe now that the social groups are gone they'll try again, but as for now unless the hstaff feel that the forum-base has matured it won't be coming back.

Years
There have been several threads on this, actually! PC had a rep system a while ago but there were many instances where people abused the system by de-repping posts because they didn't like the user and so on, so it was removed. If you search up "reputation" in this Questions/Feedback section, you'll see quite a lot of complaints from users on the system.

Not too sure if it'll come back or not; that's up to the higher staff. I'm sure it's been considered before. A system that only allowed +repping posts might work, but again, I'm sure there's reasons it hasn't been brought back like that. (The possibility of things turning into a popularity contest, etc)

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
I has been implemented before, and the main reason they took it away was because people misused it. I believe they even reintroduced it for a while, but I guess that didn't work out quite well :I

At least that's what I've heard. Maybe now that the social groups are gone they'll try again, but as for now unless the hstaff feel that the forum-base has matured it won't be coming back.
Your point is valid, however, leaving a personal comment as to why a user gave another user the "rep. point" would help pinpoint whether or not that specific user is actually helpful.
There have been several threads on this, actually! PC had a rep system a while ago but there were many instances where people abused the system by de-repping posts because they didn't like the user and so on, so it was removed. If you search up "reputation" in this Questions/Feedback section, you'll see quite a lot of complaints from users on the system.

Not too sure if it'll come back or not; that's up to the higher staff. I'm sure it's been considered before. A system that only allowed +repping posts might work, but again, I'm sure there's reasons it hasn't been brought back like that. (The possibility of things turning into a popularity contest, etc)
I apologize. I did not search for similar threads.

However, like I stated above, if users were only allowed to + "rep." another user, and have to leave a comment as to why you gave said individual a "rep. point", it would help members identify why that member is helpful, or in the instance of adding a "rep. point" due to the fact that they just like that user, we could determine if someone has accumulated an unfair amount of "rep.".

droomph

weeb
Years
That's why we have the post comments. We can tell the user why we liked or didn't like the post, but it wouldn't have any possibility of turning into a popularity contest or anything of that sort.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
That's why we have the post comments. We can tell the user why we liked or didn't like the post, but it wouldn't have any possibility of turning into a popularity contest or anything of that sort.
True, but there are two flaws (in my opinion):

1. The Post Comments need to be more readily available. When I first signed up here, it took me two weeks to find my Post Comments, let alone what they were.

2. It doesn't help other members much. Especially newer member. Post Comments are visible only to whom they are sent to.

Years
Oh no, I just meant a few others had this same suggestion so you're not alone in that regard, there's no need to apologize! :3

I do understand your idea on needing to comment on a +rep so members can see why one is helpful, but I don't think a system like that is something we really need at the 'mo. It still has risks of turning into a popularity contest; I've run into issues in other places where groups of friends would +rep themselves to increase their reputation count. Others might be put off from not having a high rep count, and telling people how useful or not useful they are based on a system that can be abused so easily isn't really what we want. There's also the idea that people's opinions are subjective and differ from person to person, so what's good to one may not be good to another.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
If a comment wasn't required in every instance of reputation giving, then how would you separate good reputation given for valid reasons from bad reputations given for invalid reasons? If it is required to leave a comment, whose job is it going to be to review the comments and decide whether or not the points are valid? Having a system visible to others is nearly asking for abuse of it, considering the past uses of reputation in our community.

However I agree with you that the post comment system should be more visible and explained better to new members.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Heavily against this. I'd be concerned that rep would be accumulated through popularity rather than through actual post content - that groups of friends would simply +rep each other. And I have no doubt that prejudice will come into play and high-repped users will automatically be listened to more than low-repped ones. I don't really like the idea of a forum where who is listened to is determined on the size and activity of their friend group rather than the quality of their posts. I also really don't like the idea of more or less "ranking" members and feel that people should decide on what they think is a good or a bad poster without being biased via some rep system.

I do, however, agree with the idea that post comments are underused; while I never had an issue with finding them, it seems that some people certainly do, and as such we should find a way to make them more visible. That said I can't really think of a way of doing that without simply using them more... maybe if the "Post Comment" button was moved and placed next to the "Quote", "Edit", etc. buttons? I think that might help a bit.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I don't know- I know from personal experience that it was abused. I was given negative rep once for using a certain font colour. A FONT COLOUR! It had nothing to do with the quality of my posts whatsoever. Fairly sure I was given other negative rep for minor or completely irrelevant reasons too. Having said that, it's a nice concept and I can see why you'd want it to be brought back. Alas, this is a Pokemon forum so they would be a lot of people who'd misuse it and it's brought back a couple of times only to be taken away again, so I really can't see it happening for a third (?) time. :x

And yeah, it did become a bit of a popularity contest, sadly. :x People with more rep were taken more seriously and given 'extra attention' on several occasions by other users from when it was used, which isn't really right in my opinion. :s

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
The post comments system is the reputation system. Literally all that's been changed is that that you don't get to see how much you have and that it's called something else.

You could argue that we should change those two little aspects of it back, but anything other than that and you'd be asking for things that we already have.

It's the 'ranking' system of it all that makes it go sour though, which is believe it or not is why it was removed in the first place.

Edit: If you want people to start using it more though simply start using it more yourself and it will encourage others to join in.

I give post comments as it is, and the most encouraging thing is receiving one myself every now and again.

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
I remember the rep system, and I can't say I miss it much. We already keep track of stuff like when you joined, your post count, supporter status, and emblems, so I don't see the need for further things to help us 'keep score,' so to speak. On the whole, I find that reputation metrics make the forum experience too much like a big meta-game, as opposed to a more organic kind of social space.

Oh yeah, and we still have the post comments system. Totally forgot about that, haven't used it in years.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I can see that you are mostly wanting this to help new users...
But new users (if they need something) should go to "color members" for advise as "color members" have the color for a reason ;)
But since I started with color, your idea might be done differently...
Staff could make new group called like... "Helpers" (yeah, I know too random...) that would consult what newbies need.

Years
I can see that you are mostly wanting this to help new users...
But new users (if they need something) should go to "color members" for advise as "color members" have the color for a reason ;)
But since I started with color, your idea might be done differently...
Staff could make new group called like... "Helpers" (yeah, I know too random...) that would consult what newbies need.

If members are unsure of anything, their first point of contact should be staff. If we set up a group of individual 'helpers', there is no way to control who says what and the wrong information could be given out.

Anyway, I was around when Rep was big and it was just horrible. I would rather it not come back.​

Progressive House

Macgyver Trainer
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2015
I've seen this point being crossed out in many forums without it. And i'm sure it has been brought up many times on this particular forum. I can't say why for sure why it was taken away, it might be the cache rise or abuse for as droomph said but i'm sure it will come back when the time is right; for said right just like the name changing gift was taken away. It's not like these things are necessities their wants. When the higher ups find it right to bring it back they will, i think enough has been said on this subject though it's brought up frequently like iv'e seen been said.

Last edited:

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
If your only argument to having the reputation system brought back is to help new members identify which other members would be helpful to ask for guidance then it's a pretty crap idea. When it was around years ago, there were people that had an immense amount of reputation power, so if they were to negatively or positively rep someone then their rep would change drastically. It was abused past the point of funny and besides, if you're stuck with something I don't see why you wouldn't just ask one of the big bold named dudes or gals.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Reputation setups become too much of a popularity contest on here. :/

One thing we've talked about adding is the ability to "like" a post, though. Which might be kinda cool.

This basically. Though it'd be cool if like.. they were encouraged post comments to be used more or something? :c I think if the names were visible it'd be more encouraged.

I was around when rep was around and man was it ever flawed.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Reputation setups become too much of a popularity contest on here. :/

One thing we've talked about adding is the ability to "like" a post, though. Which might be kinda cool.
A Like button I think would be ok. I've gone to other forums where they have this and it's a nice feature that in my opinion has less potential for abuse, though I can still see abuse of it happening in some way as people can "Like" popular user's posts thus it still may be a popularity contest as you don't need to give a reason when liking a post. I've also seen people annoying others by Liking a post and then un-liking it, then re-liking it, so I dunno,it's something that could be tried here anyway.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Reputation post is kind of a bad idea. People would more listen to other people with higher rep while the others with lower rep will be left out.
And some guys will also ask their friends to give them rep in order to get higher on the chart.
I don't think it's a good idea to add a reptutation system.
But a like button is pretty good, minus the notifications each time someone 'likes' your comments and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back