• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen My name's ???.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I... never really thought of that, since the first time I played through a second generation game I hadn't learned any English, so I just assumed it was naming my rival, and since I knew that, that's just what I kept on doing, but in a sense that's brilliant xD Might just name him that the next time I get to play through a second generation game again :D

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
When I first played Gold I was very young so I thought they'd found a way of adding speech into the game for your character and you had to type what he says, so my rival ended up being called something stupid like "dont know" xD Although when I started seeing his name in battle I felt like a moron and restarted haha.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
To be honest, I assumed most people put down ???. I know I certainly did when I played Gold version, and did again when I got SoulSilver. It was unusual, sure, but I'm not surprised that so many other people were in the same boat as me when it came to that sort of thing! :D

Sirfetch’d

I am soooooo glad that I am not the only one who did this. In Silver I named him ???, because I thought that is what I was suppose to type. Sure, I knew that obviously wasn't his name, but I thought I was suppose to put that because I didn't catch his name and it would be found out later. I am so glad in HG/SS they fixed this where it made sense as to why you knew his name.

Years
I now feel less stupid after seeing all of these replies. I thought I was just answering a legit question. ??? is better then Silver imo (had Gold at the time) so it work out pretty well.

To this day I don't know what I should name him. Blue was always Gary to me because it was clear that on Yellow that he was Gary being Oak's grandson and on Red/Blue it was the same deal (though I am aware of the manga the anime just happen to hit me first). I may just stick with ??? when I play the 2nd gen again. Do the guy even have a canon name in the game files or something?

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
I now feel less stupid after seeing all of these replies. I thought I was just answering a legit question. ??? is better then Silver imo (had Gold at the time) so it work out pretty well.

To this day I don't know what I should name him. Blue was always Gary to me because it was clear that on Yellow that he was Gary being Oak's grandson and on Red/Blue it was the same deal (though I am aware of the manga the anime just happen to hit me first). I may just stick with ??? when I play the 2nd gen again. Do the guy even have a canon name in the game files or something?

Silver is pretty near canon. That's the name he's given in Gold and Crystal if you don't enter a name, and its used as placeholder data in HG/SS until you can name him.

And yes, I named him ??? as well. My reason was twofold: The oddity of someone calling themselves ??? made the "name" stick in my mind, and I didn't want to lie to a police officer (this was before I found out that Pokemon has the most incompetent police ever). Nowadays I call him Silver because I like to keep as close to canon as possible, and no other name seems to fit.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2024
Yeah, first time I also called my rival ???, but after that I started naming him James.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
When the officer asked for his name, I didn't know what to put down either... so I just put Rival down. I mean, if you don't know him, and he's your rival, it seems the logical thing to do.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
When I first played Pokemon Silver, I really did give him the name "????" because thats what the police officer said. I felt like a complete idiot once I found out from one of my friends that I could have named him whatever I wanted,so when I got Pokemon Gold two weeks after Pokemon Silver, I never made that mistake again. I am glad that I am not the only one that made this error too :)

:t354:TG

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I never called him ???, a young me just put his name as the F word, of course with the 'er'.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I think a lot of people did that; I know I did, and I was a pretty smart kid.

On subsequent playthroughs, he was always some variation of "jerk."

Years
I was young and I thought "?" Had a pronounciation that sounded like Zzz so I named him "Zzz" xDD

Now I know though. ? Isn't pronounced like that.

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
Years
On my first Crystal run through, I named him ???. Any game after that I named him. In HGSS they changed it so he drops his trainer card and "you see his name"", but thats a whole different story.

KitsuneLugia96

Trainer Silver
Years
The first time I played Silver, I named myself Silver because it was my favorite color. Though I didn't name him ???, I named him Gold, because of the other version. The problem was that I wanted to play as my rival because I though he was cool. A lot of people said he was a jerk, which he is. But there was a reason for that, and I liked his story. Despite the fact you really don't learn about his back story full in detail in Silver, Gold, or Crystal.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Hahahaha I used to do that too! I was quite young at the time; I really thought my rival's name was ??? and put it as such when the policeman asked me for it. xDD Now of course I know better and during my first play of SoulSilver, I named him Silver because that's his real name.

Back