• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

RoosterHat

Bumbling Slowpoke King
Years
When I first got Sapphire, my starter was Mudkip because I had played as Mudkip in Blue Rescue Team, which was my first Pokemon game. Then when I got FireRed, my first was Squirtle. Water is kind of my favorite type. :cheeky:

HaxingBH

HaxingBH
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2012
fr - charmander
em - torchic
tbh, there are not a lot of good fire pokemon throughout these two games. arcanine was okay and all other pokemon in RSE were -
meh~

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I chose Charmander and Treecko for some really odd reason. Charmander wasn't bad at all, just hard to level up at times, but Treecko....honestly, what was I thinking? He isn't very good, and from then on I either went with Mudkip (Most used) or Torchic.

coolfarhan11

Blissey's Manly!
Years
The first ever time, I recall picking Treeko, although I'm not sure. I mean, it was like 6 years ago or so. My last completed playthrough, I had a Sceptile. Before that I had a Swampert, though I only got to the eight gym. I restarted just yesterday and got a Torchic.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
In FireRed I chose Charmander.
In Sapphire I think I chose Torchic.
In Ruby I chose Treecko.
In case you haven't noticed, I don't like to pick the same type of starter all the time. :)

Future Arceus

I hate my name
Years
Fire Red- Charmander
Leaf Green- Bulbasaur (didn't everyone do this lol)

Ruby- Mudkip (It's just THAT cute)
Sapphire- Mudkip (It really is THAT cute)
Emerald- Torchic (Even Mudkip gets old...)

Years
On Fire Red/Leaf Green it always comes down to Squirtle because of Blaistoise., as he is the hardest Pokemon to replace in the game. Charizard, for simple power can be replaced with Moltres, while Venesaur is actually harder to replace, I rarely have a grass Pokemon in my final team.

With RS/E I was not to big of a fan of the final Evolutions of the starters, so I generally tried to find Pokemon throughout the game to replace the starters with, but I always chose Torchic until I could replace it.

8bitSilence

"I HAVE FURY!"
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
For some reason I only chose the Water starters in all Gen III games.
I guess I loved Blastoise and Swampert too much. :)

Ripper

The Dark Knight
Years
Blue - Bulbasaur
Red - I don't remember :(
Gold - Chikorita
Sapphire - Mudkip
FireRed - Charmander
Diamond - Piplup
HeartGold - Chikorita
Black - Oshawott

thegeneticway

"He has kickin' powers"-Trixie
Years
Hmm, I'm mainly a water type man. So everytime I bought a new game for the first time I used: But I did go around and culturally absorb new information from the new starters.

FR/LG: Squirtle
Ruby/Sapphire: Mudkip
Emerald: Mudkip + Cyndaquil

:D Hahah yes, I did finish my hoenn dex >:)

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
On Emerald I initially chose Torchic because I'm used to choosing Fire-types. Horrible mistake imo, got bored/sick before beating Norman. I'm much happier now I restarted with Mudkip. My Marshtomp helped crush Wattson :D someone whose gym I somehow struggled with initially.

On FireRed/LeafGreen I chose Charmander, 'cause I just love Charizard. I'll restart eventually starting with Squirtle the Bulbasaur though.

Back