• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[JAVA] PoKéMoN MORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2020
Introduction:

Hello PokeCommunity!

I am writing a Pokemon MORPG (Multiplayer online role-playing game), this game will be written 100% in java and will be released for public playing as soon as the basics are done.

This game is being written with scratch, the only things used from Pokemon is resources such as sprites.

I also decided to work on a Pokemon MORPG ;).

Features:

Server:
- xSocket connection handling, packets etc etc.
- Multiplayer
- Player updating
- Map updating and route finding
- FULL update server, written to allow quicker transfer of small files accross the server.

Client:
- Quick graphics drawing, hasn't gone under set FPS at this point (50 fps).
- Decent caching system and cache fetching system.
- Group cache system, where files of a certain type can be grouped and loaded, such as sprites for a certain pokemon would be contained in a single file which could be exploded to get all of them.
- Packet handling, player updating, multiplayer, login etc etc.
- Basic animation (will be rewritten soon as it's not very accurate).
- Map updating/loading based on regions.
- "HTML Text engine", basically allows <col>, <shad>, etc tags to be implemented in strings.
- Scaling of client (zoom in).

List of implemented features:
- Interfaces, full support of text, images and java's graphic api, such as drawing and filling polygons to create backgrounds and images, this also includes variable content stuff such as client changed variables, including getting the users name etc, also has image scaling and other attributes.
- Update server, full CRC checksum system which checks every file is upto date when requested, if not then it grabs the file and packs it into the cache. Also includes handling of the recieved file instantly on transfer, so music or images can be loaded and returned to their original instance.
- Efficient memory storing, every class which has to store information does it using maps, these maps have limits based on the memory allocated to the game client.
- WorldController, full world map system, controls when to load a map based on your location, has support for multiple layers of tiles and objects which also supports multiple height levels. All data is stored in a smart way meaning that not every single tile has to have multiple bytes of data added, which would cause alot of extra space for empty tiles etc. Each map also has a sound file index attached to it so that regions can have set music aswell as variable music.
- Midi sound engine, the core sound class runs a constant sound, this would be the map/background music, and when a new sound is requested the engine creates a new player, when the sound has finished the player is removed, this means that there can be as many sounds going on at once as you like.
- Object, Entity and Item handling, full support of the forementioned.
- Animation, basic but working animation which supports variable frame times.
- HTML Text engine, allows the java graphics api to have attributed text drawn, such as "<col=ffffff>Hello there<col=ff0000>user" would draw "Hello there" in white and "user" in red. Also supports shadows, transparency, underline, bold, and many other attributes.

Tools:

Map editor - Very basic and not very pretty, but does the job.
Interface creator - Work in progress, at the moment it supports a few of the types the engine has.

Media:

Login screen (not finished):
loginscreeng.png

Map rendering (note, only had 1 map, not the left, left-top or above, else they would have loaded):
maprendering.png

Multiplayer:
multiplayer.png

Scaling:
scalingc.png

VIDEO: Uploading at the moment, will provide link tomorrow.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I'm going to reserve my full judgment until I see the project in action, but I do love that you're using Java rather than Essentials or some other kit. The only thing I can really critique right now is the graphics, which honestly require quite a bit of work. You're using clashing graphics in the same map, and you've done the bare minimum for mapping. Most other things I'll have to wait for the video before I can make a comment.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2020
I'm going to reserve my full judgment until I see the project in action, but I do love that you're using Java rather than Essentials or some other kit. The only thing I can really critique right now is the graphics, which honestly require quite a bit of work. You're using clashing graphics in the same map, and you've done the bare minimum for mapping. Most other things I'll have to wait for the video before I can make a comment.

The map i made was just for testing, i really needed some people to help with tilesets and sprites before i do more.

If anyone wants to help me just give me a PM, tilesets need to be cut though, im using my own caching format so for example if you have a tileset which is a type of grass which has like 20 variations (for the ground, such as path blending etc) it would need to be cut into those seperate files and placed in a folder then named like;

0,1,2,3,4,5 etc etc, then i'd just pack with my cache editor.

I also need trainer sprites, overworlds and pretty much everything, so if anyone wants to help out with this project you will recieve full credits and if you desire i can pay you with PayPal, however please pre-predict prices for artwork.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2020
Props to you for making something in Java; a language I'm really interested and intend to learn in the future. If you're looking for sprites, tiles, etc ripped from the games, might I suggest The Spriter's Resource? They have quite the extensive sprite collection for the Pokemon series.

Yeah thank you, i have already seen that site, but im more interested in custom sprites, such as new trainers which have graphics too, as in this game you are going to be able to customise your character so not every single person looks the same.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2020
Are you going to implement HGSS or Black and White Graphics?

I was thinking about using black and white pokemon sprites, however i can't seem to find any decent tilesets or anything from black and white to use, i've searched for a few hours now aswell.

And ill get this video up today.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
I think you people should read the rules before you go ahead and revive a thread almost a year old.

-locked-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back