• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and White VERSUS Black 2 and White 2

B/W or B2/W2?

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The ultimate showdown! Let's say you're at a war - and you're either on B/W's side, or B2/W2's side. Your choice can depend on Pokemon available, the storyline, features, and so on. Which do you prefer and will side with in the war? Feel free to explain why in this thread!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I'll prefer Black 2 and White 2 because of the accessible Xtransceiver, over 300 Pokemon in the Unova Dex, and Black and White Kyurem.

Years
Oh god I was so tossed up in this, I did love Black and White for its epic story, but then Black 2 and White 2's features and expanded Pokedex was awesome too. Both were such great games and I'm glad to have gotten the chance to play both, otherwise I would not be posting this.

I did admittedly end up voting B2/W2 in the end, cos the features were too awesome but I do love B/W as well, cos of the story. (No offense Nica, I really do love both)

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Personally I side with B2/W2. While Black and White were amazing and have an amazing story, I prefer the feature in Black 2 and White 2 more. One thing I love the most about B2W2 is the expanded Pokedex cause it has a lot of my older gen favorites like Ampharos, Lucario, Umbreon, and Arcanine. Plus it has Pokestar Studio and the PWT which are both really fun and addicting. Those are somethings I wouldn't want to miss out on!

Silver Crow

Burst Linker
Years
I voted B/W as they were the first Gen V games so I felt more excited playing them. There was the excitement of the Gen 5 Pokémon and a really great story. White 2 is just as epic but I just had to go with the first Gen 5 games.

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
Despite every good thing in B2W2, the hidden hollows, pokestudios, PWT, and the pokemon available.
I still like BW better, if it weren't for BW, I wouldn't enjoy B2W2.

Student D1

De-Wott?
Years
I'm a bit struggling here; Both B/W and B2/W2 are great games for me. For instance, B/W has introduced to us many new Pokémon that live in the region of Unova, and it has a great story to start with. I remember feeling a bit sad at the ending part of the story in B/W; how N said his farewell made me emotional for a while.

Whereas in B2/W2, they contain lots of new features and improvements. There are also Pokémon, that originated from different regions, to catch and fill data for the Pokédex. The introduction of the PWT and the Pokéstar Studios appealed to me. And the collecting of Medals really made me obsessed to get them all if I can.

So, I think I'll be going with the B2/W2 side. I really like B/W, but I think B2/W2 is better overall.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
B2W2, no doubt. With Join Avenue, PWT and better pokemon selection in the beginning of the game, there's lots more to do postgame and the beginning isn't a terrible grindfest. I could do without the friendship evolutions though. Riolu and Azurill is awesome... after they evolve.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I actually really like them both in their own unique way. I kind of like BW's exclusivity to Unova Pokemon and the simplicity, but I like the different Pokemon available and the features in BW2, also. I didn't like either storyline, though.

But, I'd have to go with Black and White 2 just because it offers so much more than any game before.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I felt that BW2 was a vast improvement over BW1, not just from a gameplay standpoint, but also in story, and on top of that it has a much better post game than BW's abysmal offerings that don't even get you close to challenging Alder.

Years
Just like I've felt in the past about the newer versions of the first two, Black 2/White 2 are the ones that I prefer. With a larger map, more Pokemon available early on, new features like Hidden Grottoes, the PWT, Pokestar Studios and Join Avenue, BW2 was a lot more exciting to play overall.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I really love the variation of the two games... its just too hard to decide. My favorite Pokemon appear on both games that rules out Pokemon exclusives (Purrloin, Patrat, Mienfoo, Oshawott, Snivy).... I guess Its even for me. I'll stick with Black2/White2 for the covers of the box art.

I do own White and Black2. Without both I couldn't decide.

Years
This is a difficult decision. B2W2 was awesome because of all the remixed music, the new features, and the awesome new locations. What it had in extras, I think it lacked in story. BW had a rich plot in my opinion, and while B2W2 expanded on that it just doesn't compare, really. Also, BW were the first ones, bringing all the awesome Unova pokemon, and I kind of liked just having Unova pokemon. Made it seem more.... uniform? Either way, I'm voting Black/White on this one!

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
Erm.. This is indeed a hard decision to pick. Even though I did more runs on the original BW, I do believe I enjoyed B2W2 more. Its just there was so much more features (e.g, PWT, more sidequests, etc) that made B2W2 more "complete", than its predecessor.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
BW for me since I enjoyed none of the older Pokemon being in the main storyline thus allowing me to try my hand at making entirely new and potentially more dangerous teams. That and the MCs don't look like spoiled little rich kids who look like they're gonna get kidnapped at Seaworld or something lol.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think B2W2 is a better game, because it has more content, but BW are more enjoyable to play through, because the story is more fast paced. The huge turn you have to do to reach Opelucid City from Mistralton City in B2W2 is painful, because you pass through many useless places just to get to Opelucid, and the only point relevant to the story is the old lady in Lacunosa Town who tells you the Kyurem folktale. I haven't reached Ghetsis yet but I'm also disappointed with how little info on Kyurem there is.

Also, playing B2W2 shortly after BW is quite boring because from Castelia to Mistralton the story is basically the same as BW, although I liked the new areas like Castelia Sewers and the Join Avenue.

d00bt00b

Genxo
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 1, 2013
BW did have much, much better storylines, but the larger amount of Pokemon available before elite four in B2W2 was a huge plus.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I honestly was somewhat disappointed by Black and White when they came out. i really disliked the unability to catch ANY of the older Pokemon, the storyline was alright i guess, but i had the feeling the game was aimed at a young audience that were new to Pokemon Games...what i really liked though was the twist after the Elite 4 and the final showdown with N! B2/W2 on the other hand were awesome!!
I loved the regional dex, so many pokemon from so many different regions, the storyline was good i think, and i really liked the new additions, like join avenue. I think B2/W2 are one of the best pokemon games out there

Sirjosh50

Legendary Catcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013
Black and White 2 because even though black and white were the introduction to Gen V.The habitat list was heaven in Black 2 because I had struggled without it for so long.

Last edited:
Back