• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Fire Red: BACKWARDS Edition

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
Years
Always wanted to do this for Emerald, never thought how I should do it. So it looks like I have to start planning that out!

Amazing this is!

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Thanks! Emerald would be a lot harder to pull off, though. Tons of plot comes in where you would have to screw things up a lot to maintain the "backwards" aspect (WHY IS RAYQUAZA HERE BEFORE THE FIRST GYM, etc etc), so more power to you if you manage that. There's also the issue of getting dive before you even get surf, which is just silly. If I do another Pokemon Hack like this (I probably will), it'll most likely be of Crystal. Granted, I still have the whirlpool problem.

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
Looking good ^^ Can't wait for the release

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
Years
Thanks! Emerald would be a lot harder to pull off, though. Tons of plot comes in where you would have to screw things up a lot to maintain the "backwards" aspect (WHY IS RAYQUAZA HERE BEFORE THE FIRST GYM, etc etc), so more power to you if you manage that. There's also the issue of getting dive before you even get surf, which is just silly. If I do another Pokemon Hack like this (I probably will), it'll most likely be of Crystal. Granted, I still have the whirlpool problem.

Probably the best thing to do to reverse Emerald would be to start from Littleroot but make it so you can go to Route 103 (where you battle May/Brendan for the first time) so you can head right and make it so you can just head straight to Mauville City. I dunno. :/

Rodriguezjames55

No Jokes #MegaCharizard
Years

how you'd be starting in kanto

Years
Just finished playing this! I must say I really liked it!
Tbh, I was sorta worried I would get bored of this hack quickly because its just FireRed going backwards... but with newly designed areas, plot twists(?) and new Pokemon in different areas made it extremely enjoyable, so kudos to you!

My final team was (took a lot of grinding...)
Kabutops - Lv 82
Flygon - Lv 82
Kingdra - Lv 83
Butterfree - Lv 82
Dragonite - Lv 83
Metagross - Lv 83

1. But I must curse you for making me go through Rock Tunnel all the way to Cerulean xD I almost through my phone at the wall when I met my rival after the Gauntlet lol

2. My mom is a Psyduck... I mean a Pokemaniac... a guy...? xD

3. I was kinda disappointed with the ending :( Expected more of a dramatic ending when I defeated Lord Slugma (with the help of Sleep Powder and Quick Claw...). It would have been nice if the rest of the Sevii Islands were incorporated somehow too xD

But well done for completing it and thanks for making the hack for us! XD

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I see this has moved into the Hacks Showcase. Very interesting hack idea. Suddenly I find myself wanting to do something with another game, but starting where you otherwise finish and ending up where you start. A very interesting concept, and I may have to try this hack.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Hey wait I thought I replied to you fistface. Guess not! Darn my multitude of tabs and tendency to get side tracked.

You'll need a clean fire red ROM (you could sneeze and google that) and Lunar IPS (also easily googled). Just open up Lunar IPS and follow its unbelievably simple instructionsto patch the patch (that's what you download from the first post of this topic) onto the ROM. Then just play it like you would a normal ROM.

Also, Lairon is available in Mt. Moon. There are also Aggron there, but they're ridiculously rare. Whoops! Most other non-legendary Pokemon are available before you get to Cerulean Gym, but I forgot a few here and there.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
Absolutely loved this hack. I just beat the Elite Four and tried once against Slugma.. but I need to better prepare myself haha.

Super fun hack. I love people like you who release completed hacks, rather than a beta with 2 badges that never gets completed.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
There is no rock smash and no gem stone. I did not hack anything but One Island, unfortunately.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
All right. I see I'm not alone in this, but my Mom is also a Psyduck. I just decided to do some early exploration and that was my first finding.

pfrbea01.png

I can imagine my childhood.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here are my first findings (spoiler tags used from here on for images):

First feature: here are two of the three starters (there is also a Kabuto):

Spoiler:

For some reason, I can travel to Route 21 without being required to go north to get the parcel for Oak. I consider this a bug. The trainers blocking the way should be there until the parcel is delivered thereby forcing the player to go to the north first along Route 1. Players may be forever wondering when they will get their Pokéballs, and that's a lot of early backtracking since you only get your first ones after the parcel is delivered!

Hmm. I wonder why I cannot walk on these tiles. (Four on first screen, and that single square on the second.)

Spoiler:

I wonder who that is...

Spoiler:

Caught up with me? You were standing there, you oaf!

Spoiler:

...wa-wait! Pallet Town isn't THAT way!

Spoiler:

So I decided to run back up to Viridian and check out the Pokémon League building. Along the way, I stopped to splash around in the puzzle.

M-mom?

Spoiler:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In summary, the game may be complete, but it's lacking a LOT of polish. It took me five minutes to break it this much. Not good.

Also, the sand is a wild Pokémon paradise along the main path. This also is not a good start. Remember this used to be surf water, so the flags for wild encounters need checking.

Cyclone

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Let me address points individually.

Admittedly, the glitches you found were more legitimate than I expected. Momduck was a joke that's just supposed to be silly and potentially amuse some people. Calling Momduck a glitch is about as founded as saying the boxes in the room are a tile error. Alternatively, you may be against psyduck adoption policies. Why would you? They have as much right to own a human as you do to own a Psyduck.

The other points are mostly legitimate things that aren't intentional, though. Yes, you can go south of Pallet Town after beating the Rival there. However, you don't HAVE to get the Pokedex as a result. Not having a Pokedex does absolutely nothing to this hack gameplay-wise (I worked with the code so 2nd and 3rd gen evolutions still work just fine), so the Pokedex quest only amounts to free Pokeballs and wild Pokemon. Frankly, the player should know how far away Cinnabar Island is, and if they want Pokeballs, they should also know how fast it is to get the parcel and suddenly have five free Pokeballs. It's still the world of Fire Red, so there's some background knowledge I expect the player to have.

Movement permission errors, I'll give you. My best guess is that I changed some tiles but forgot to add layers to the movement permissions and ended up never doing it, so things aren't working right. Whoops!

You are literally the first person I've seen complaining about the Aide. (Well, aside from a previous issue where the Aide would walk over a rock, but that's not there anymore.) If it makes you feel any better, think of him as having a desert condo somewhere. To catch up with you, he would be leaving his condo to block your path, and when he leaves in the direction that is not Pallet Town, he's going back to his condo. Why should he live in the same town as where he works? There are three buildings in pallet town, so he's logically more likely to live in the desert when you think about it!

The puddle water was an unintended consequence of two completely unrelated actions, and that was my mistake. Puddles have the same random encounters as surf water, so the obvious issues came up, and I never remembered to go back to every area with puddles to fix that.

The desert random encounters are just fine, and I have no idea what you mean about the surf water. Wild Pokemon are supposed to show up in the sand (though only certain patches of sand, since there's a wild Pokemon variety and a basic variety that are mixed in to spice things up). Regardless, the only thing I had to change when switching the water into sand was the movement permissions. Given that you don't surf in the sand, I think it's fair to assume I did that part correctly!

So basically, you're completely right. The game is lacking polish, but the two errors here where I agree with you (the movement permissions and the oh god overleveled psyducks) are some of the only mistakes in the game, if I recall correctly. Really, this isn't the hack you put in a contest, but more of something to show to people so they have fun. (Usually they do.)

Just take everything in stride and it really is a good hack, but if you get hung up on problems that don't matter much in the grand scheme of things and you'll hate it.

(Sorry if it sounds like I'm taking critiques of my hack as a personal attack on myself. I just make big posts in response to complaints so I can get my opinion across on everything that's said.)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I still think having separate patches of identifiable dark sand (see Unova Route 4) is a better practice if you want sand wild encounters along the main path early on. That way a player can deke around them. After all, as you noted, it's a long way to Cinnabar Island and there's no way for us to identify which sand tiles are the ones that are going to pop out Pokémon at us. I noticed another type of sand tile along the way, and even having one type (that one) allow for encounters and the one on the main path not to works well. However, it seems to be random.

I'm surprised that you consider the mission for a package for Oak to be optional. I'd think it a mandatory element to get a Pokédex. Doesn't Oak give out items for levels of Pokédex completion?

If Mama Psyduck was intended, I'm relieved; I thought this was a bug.

Cyclone

EPICwinner77

Glitch Trainer
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2012
Can i ask a question? I don't know how to get the water so I can get past the thirsty guards. Where do you find it?

Back