• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Friend

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2016
What makes a friend?
For me:
A friend is someone who...
-can understand you pursuing your goals and other necessities and will therefore help you reach them if possible. This shows that it is possible for a person to be a friend even though he/she can't be there for you all the time. I'd understand if he/she has to unwillingly push some time aside in order to fulfill his/her goals/necessities.
-never back-stabs you in any way. If he/she has to stab you for a good reason, they will stab you in the front.

What do you think makes a friend?
Post your thoughts below.

Last edited:

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
-How many friends do you have?
Realistically I 'had' about 25-30 in real life and maybe 15 online. Now only about 2 in real life, 5 online. Most of my friends left our hometown after high school for either college or the military.

-How did you meet your friends, i.e online, work, school, a random conversation on the street etc.
Mostly just striking up conversations in high school out of boredom. Online was from a online pokemon game and back in the days where youtube was a social site.

-Do you make friends naturally or is it difficult for you?
Easy to meet guys from work, trying to find girls to hang out with is hard though since everyone at work is a dude and the fact that there are no good social areas around here.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
A person who makes a friend is a person who I don't find much difficulty in talking to, is nice and caring and is also a lot of fun to talk to/be with. Someone who is trustworthy and kind.

- How many friends do you have?
I never bother counting, as I honestly don't care about the amount..it's about who they are and how much of a friend a person is, not the amount you gain.

-How did you meet your friends, i.e online, work, school, a random conversation on the street etc.
I meet them online, through Pokemon battle simulators, and PC of course :3

I honestly don't know..I guess it just happens. It's not up to me though, at least, that's what I think.

Last edited:
Years
A friend is one whom you can interact with very well and actively interact with as well. Because of that, I seem to have made a lot of friends at school this past year and I will miss them (because they were underclassmen and I was a senior), but we still talk via SMS on occasion.

But for my online friends, I think it involves us getting together in some form of group, chatting with each other for a while, and then develop a friendship. Two good examples on PC of that are when I first went to #Pokemonclubs, which was the IRC channel of Pokémon Clubs here on PC, and more recently, the GT 2013 Skype Chat, I made new friends. :)

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I have lots of friends, but I only consider a few as my best friends. I met all of them in my school, and now that I've transferred, it's been hard because I often feel like they've completely forgotten about me. I miss them, and they say they miss me, too, but I just want to go there and stay with them, you know?

Anyway, I don't really know what a friend is. I want my friend to be completely unexpected and random, but I think what makes a friend is the trust between two individuals.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I only have a few people who I would call "friends".
A friend who me is someone who will not make fun of you because wear/have something.
I have social issues so I do not make friends easily.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
To me, a friend is anybody who I can talk to with ease. Having to hold my tongue or feeling awkward telling somebody something puts a wall up between me and a person and I just don't feel that connection there.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2016
I'm going to be answering O07_eleven's questions. You guys could answer too if you guys would like, but you must answer the main question: "What makes a friend"?

I really don't have any real life friends to be honest. But that doesn't mean I'm totally antisocial out there. I think I have some friends around here, and I think that's about it.

I signed up and talked to other people. Some of them welcomed me and struck a conversation with me, so we became friends.

It's really difficult for me to make friends outside, esp. school. Things don't flow really natural for me.

Note: If any of you guys pledge to meet those two qualifications that I stated, I'd be more than happy to be your friend.
I hope everyone in PC is willing to be my friend because I don't want anyone NOT to be my friend.
So here's my request now: Please be my friend. :)

Last edited:

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years

Ummm... not to be like that douche that is over confident and thinks hes all cool but, i have quite a few friends xD Don't know how many but i have a group of 5 guys and were really close.

I met almost all my friends through school. It's quit easy to meet people at school and all you really need to do to make at least a few friends is just show everyone love (be nice), act a little funny, and just not be annoying. It's pretty simple XD. Other ways i've made friends is from sports, church, and just online like here on PC.

It's pretty easy for me... i think that i'm relatively easy to get along with and i just try and be chill and be nice to everyone i meet.

-And last but not least.. The most important question! What makes a friend?

Hmmm this is hard... i would say in a sense if i were to explain to someone that didn't know what a friend was, i would say just what Quop said but after experiencing friendships, good and bad, I believe there are good friends and bad friends. But the thing that makes someone your friend is that you just generally like them and they like you. What makes that friend a good one or a bad one is up to what happens after the initial friendship. I don't think that you must pass certain things to become a friend just you become one... some of my closest friends and I have gone through rough patches but the friends that you can get through the arguments and struggles with are the ones that are the closest and the good ones.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I'm only going to reply with my offline friendships in mind.

I have a pretty strict definition of friendship. Offline, I put a lot more into my relationships with other people than I do online. I'm okay with being alone, and I prefer it most of the time, but I'm human and need social interaction outside of work and those are far and few in between. I want a like-minded individual to be able to mutually share experiences with, good times, and laughs, as well as hardships and character defining moments. I want to be able to support them and I want them to be able to support me if needed. Unfortunately, I don't have many people who are as emotionally and mentally involved in the "friendship" we share, and therefore, I don't really consider them a friend. Though, I'm sure many people can say that about me.

Right now I only have two friends offline: Sarah and Paige. Paige I met at marching band sophomore year of high school, I believe. We didn't really talk much until my senior year and onwards. We didn't become friends until after I graduated, but we had a few conversations during the time that we started talking and I thought she was really cool and would be a fun person to be around. She's the person I hang out with the most. Sarah, I met at my first job at CVS. We were hired at the same time, and we hung out a lot after we started talking. At the time, I also had a friend named Chris (who is currently her boyfriend because I kind of played matchmaker, and I don't really talk to him much since he's not the greatest texter if you know what I mean) and the three of us hung out about two or three times a week and all Saturday most of the times. We had early morning diner trips and late night park adventures. Sarah is currently my best friend offline, but we don't hang out much and she's really, really flakey, which disheartens me.

Also, recently, my frame of minds and values have shifted drastically, and I'm reconsidering my relationships with other people because of that. I'm very much interested in meeting new people and forming a circle of about three or four other people that would be my friendship circle. I envision we'd do practically most things together and we'd hang out as much as we could. I've wanted a friendship group since I was in high school, but never really fit into one particular clique. I kind of drifted between and didn't take the opportunity to develop those relationships to possibly form genuine friendship with them. They were just school friends, to me. People I would hang out with strictly at school. Throughout my school life, I probably had less than ten friends that I hung out with regularly outside of class.

I have plenty of people I'm friendly with and am on friend-like terms with, and I also have my fair share of work friends. I'm sure they consider me their friend if they were asked, but I don't really consider them to be mine because of those reasons. The phrase, "If you have two friends in your lifetime, you're lucky. If you have one good friend, you're more than lucky." comes to mind when I think of friendship. Good friends are what I define as friends, and I've only had a few of them in my lifetime.

Nakala Pri

That is really my thoughts, but here are some more:

1. Somebody who will always be there for you, through good and bad. Somebody who won't bail because they're 'too busy', no, a true friend will always be there.

2. Somebody who doesn't judge you, even through your darkest thoughts, even when you think the worst things about your family. They don't judge, they only help, make you love and tell you to toughen up. Because being weak in life gets you no where.

3. It doesn't have to be somebody which shares your same interests or thoughts. It's somebody who loves you and cares what you do and what you don't, even if it seems like they don't give a damn.

That is my opinion. :3

Years
A friend is someone who swears an oath of fealty to me and who obeys my every command unquestionably.

i value loyalty as well. other than that, i don't know what i want in a friendship anymore. i'm tend to be averse in making friends with people i don't care about, which seems to make friendships a non-starter and doesn't make any sense. it's hard for me to make friends, and to be a friend.

Sirfetch’d

For me a friend is a lot. I wasn't a person to make a ton of friends, but those that I did/do have are special to me and I love them all dearly. A friend is someone who you can turn to whenever you need them, someone who you can laugh with, someone who you can cry with if needed. A friend is someone who makes you smile at even just the thought of their name. A friend is someone who always has your back and you always have theirs.

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
a freind is someone to carry out all of my needs. ''joe, please go and fetch me a mcdonalds!''

TY

A friend is someone who never EVER backstabs you with anything (maybe thats the reason why i have so few real friends). Also a friend understands you and helps you with your problems, even if he/she cant solve it completely

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
To me, a friend is a person who is there for you that has common interests that you can spend time with. A friend has to be kind to you and not abandon you over stupid stuff, someone you get along with and someone you feel you can talk to about difficult things and provide support and you should do the same for them, as it works both ways.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
To be honest: I don't know ^^"

I guess there's no right answer to this question. A friend is simply a friend if you see this person as a friend.

I suppose I could give an answer to the question, what a friend not is xD

Back