• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Pokemon Trivia does have the PokeTrivia League (which, alas, hasn't attraction much attention. I need to get it out there. v_v) so it has a variety of trivial things. It doesn't, and likely won't, have any caption contest so I think you're good there! Also Who's That Pokemon is in the League, but it what it used to be in the past so if you can come up with something new/different for yours then I suppose you're golden?

Also, having some joint thing between our two sections would be sweet also. The thought about doing that was there in the past but it never went past that: a thought. But if anything, we can split the league into something more and drive more attention for both sections. If you two like the idea then contact me or something haha. ♥

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Pokemon Trivia does have the PokeTrivia League (which, alas, hasn't attraction much attention. I need to get it out there. v_v) so it has a variety of trivial things. It doesn't, and likely won't, have any caption contest so I think you're good there! Also Who's That Pokemon is in the League, but it what it used to be in the past so if you can come up with something new/different for yours then I suppose you're golden?

Also, having some joint thing between our two sections would be sweet also. The thought about doing that was there in the past but it never went past that: a thought. But if anything, we can split the league into something more and drive more attention for both sections. If you two like the idea then contact me or something haha. ♥
Well, the main rule of thumb is: if a thread can lead to fruitful discussions or replies with substantial enough content, it belongs in PG/PVP. If a thread can't seem to do that, it belongs in PT. Right? :p

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

Pokémon Clubs would be happy to get in on this too, if you'd like! Perhaps an event spanning over Alternative Pokémon Discussions could be in order?

As for events in this section... honestly I'm kinda stumped haha. You could try running a 'tournament' of sorts where you select 16 or so Pokémon randomly and put them in match-ups where people first make bets on their favourites, and then vote for which they like more and whoever bets on the winning Pokémon most times wins? Something like this; http://challonge.com/PokeGeneralExample but obviously the Pokémon choices could be more streamlined or based around a common theme haha. Using the Pikachu vs Sandshrew matchup as an example; if 18 people voted Pikachu and 30 voted Sandshrew, that's how it'd look.

Not sure I explained that overly well... will be happy to explain further if anyone's interested!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Well, the main rule of thumb is: if a thread can lead to fruitful discussions or replies with substantial enough content, it belongs in PG/PVP. If a thread can't seem to do that, it belongs in PT. Right? :p
Pretty much. Pokemon Trivia is for well... trivial things. Games, Quizzes, and the like. If we're talking like this though, a caption contest would likely belong more in PT. However, there has been events like the Run, Suicune, Run event here instead of over in PT so it varies with events I guess!

Oooh that idea is lovely, Alex! If we can think of something that could span through all three it might bring more attention than poor PokeTrivia league in PT haha.

I like the tournament idea. And people can put down their reason as to why they choose that Pokemon, etc etc. Similar to what was in fifth gen, I think, but with Pokemon spanning through all generations.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Yeah, Brendino is working on a tournament idea now :3 And a caption contest would fit well enough in PMC since it's about the manga ^^ We'll have to make it not too trivial in some way, though.

I'm not sure what we could do that spanned three sections. Maybe we could make a thread on this in the mod area rather than discuss it here though xD Of course, non-staff members are more than welcome to input ideas too though.

Let's bring up some other kind of topic in this thread:

Do you think there are too many generations of pokémon now?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Nah, if it's manga related and you're sticking it in the manga section then I don't care how trivial it is lmao. Manga section needs more activity than Pokemon Trivia anyways. ♥ I myself would go into the manga section more often but I haven't touched any Pokemon manga in years (depressing considering how much my themes and such revolved around Red my first one-two years here at PC).

Treasure/Scavenger Hunt would be my first idea. Probably the easiest idea too! But yes, we can always take this conversation somewhere else haha.

mmm no. There are six/seven generations of Digimon, and Yu-gi-oh have multiple generations too. I think Pokemon just gets pinpointed because of their video games. They stand out a lot more than other things with multiple seasons/generations. Especially as the video games are the main part of the franchise. Personally, I love how they continue to expand the Pokemon world to have more than one region/continent. Just like our world.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Considering how many incarnations of games in other franchises there has been, pokémon isn't very close to go over the top yet. But if you think about that for every new generation, they have to come up with a lot of new pokémon, one might say that enough is enough already :p I don't like all the new ideas of pokémon that are being realized, but there are gems. Some pokémon from gen V, I certainly wouldn't want to not exist.

I'm kind of happy that they are not making Kalos a region with exclusively gen VI pokémon though. Like Unova was. But that was because Unova was so far away from the other regions I guess (America is far away from Japan). Kalos (France) is somewhat closer haha.

Years
yeah, even if you could go without a lot with each generation (trubbish comes to mind), you just don't use them
the whole thing about regional dexes is a bit of a double edged sword personally. The idea of all new Pokemon sounded good but just didn't work for me.

One thing I find is that inspiration repeats a little, but is too centralised on cats and dogs and certain birds. On one hand it creates multiple different takes, but on the other it does overload them when there are other untapped sources for inspiration.

But in short: more Pokemon is always a good thing.

Years
Do you think there are too many generations of pokémon now?

I don't think that there are quite yet, but once we hit more than 1000 Pokemon, that'll be a pretty significant jump from the original 151, and might be a little overkill. That being said, there is still plenty of inspiration out there for new Pokemon and new regions, so as long as a fairly consistent quality is maintained, I have no problem if they want to keep adding more (but please GameFreak, wait a little bit longer than 2 1/2 years to announce a new generation next time).

---

As for the tournament idea that was alluded to before, that is now live right here! If all goes according to plan, it will be a project that lasts a couple of months, pitting almost all Pokemon against each other in hopes of determining PokeCommunity's favorite Pokemon. Pokemon will first be grouped together based on their types, and the winner of each weekly poll will go into one last vote to determine the champion. I don't believe a tournament of this scale has ever been done on PC before, so it should be exciting to the member base's collective favorite! (a big shoutout goes out to AlexOzzyCake, who sparked the idea of a voting tournament).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Yeah get voting!!! I totally voted for Sneasel/Weavile because those are probably my favorite pokémon. Or one of my favorite pokémon families, at least. I do like some more haha. Houndoom got a vote too because it's too cool for school.

Also, check out the Manga Caption Contest in PMC, if you haven't already! I'll get a new panel up every week and the winner will always get to help out in choosing it and in judging, if they want to~

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Pshh, y'all should give Poochyena some love! That loveable mutt never gets the attention he deserves. I guess bad stats and a common Pokémon aren't usually a fan favourite, though :(

As for too many generations, I'd say we're doing fine. I think the only time we'll reach too many generations is when the designers run out of interesting ideas, but based on what has already been revealed from X&Y I think there's a long way to go yet before that happens.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Well, they have reused ideas already. But while I used to think that was boring and a sign of lack of new ideas, some things people have said have turned me. It's pretty creative to take an idea and make something different from it. As with Litleo and Shinx, with all the butterflies and birds. After all, there are tons of similar animal species as well, yet with their own distinguishing abilities and traits.

I also used to think it was really boring that they started to make more pokémon based on inanimate objects. But now I've thought some more and - they have always done that. Voltorb anyone? Magnemite and Muk and Sudowoodo (if he's really based on a tree :p never understood why he was a rock type but there's probably a reason related to what he's really based on, or something).

Rotom was a special case, since he was spooking around inside machines. I guess I dislike Vanillite's evolutions and the new sugar fluff pokémon is just.... whyy. But they sure haven't run out of ideas yet. I'm sure we will see a 7th generation as well :p I bet they want to get to 10th generation just to be able to call it Gen X lol.

Did you notice that X & Y are blue and red again? As with R/B and R/S. Maybe this can hint of a third game some time eventually... Z, probably. With a green legendary.

/lots of ramble in the same post but that's ooookay

Hayabusa-Kun

Happy Go Lucky
Years
Since Magmar and Electabuzz have their own evolutions, I think the Pokemon that doesn't have evolutions should have another new evolutions right ??

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Since Magmar and Electabuzz have their own evolutions, I think the Pokemon that doesn't have evolutions should have another new evolutions right ??
Some of them totally should. I wonder how a Jynx evo would look, haha.

I'm more for making new prevos though. Absol, Tropius, Miltank/Tauros etc. I think those and many more would be more interesting with prevolutions. They could even pull a Roselia and make a prevo and evo in the same gen (Budew and Roserade). Imo that made Roselia much more interesting than in gen III.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
The mod double posts for the sake of activity. Complain if you somehow think this unfair but I should think it okay.

From the caption contest thread:
Is it just me, or does the Poké Balls look like eyes and the ripped dress look like a mustasch?

Omg cannot unsee, haha! Though I think they look even more like the cookie monster somehow...

2_zpsd3866082.png

476464-cookie-monster.jpg

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
A Birthday Present

Hey everybody.
So my barely younger brother's birthday is coming up, and i'm still deciding what i (we really because my parents want a say in the present) should get him. So what should i get him? He is going to be 15 but i'm not sure if he likes pokemon or not. What should we get him?? :| Oh and the 'budget' is about $200.

Last edited:
Years
In my experience it's easier to get gift cards for teenagers than presents unless you know them well enough to already have a ton of gift ideas.
It seems less personal but it's often more appreciated, because they can buy what they want.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Merging these posts with the Pokémon General chit chat thread, since it doesn't really warrant a thread of its own.

Has your brother got a DS? Regardless if he is a pokémon fan or not, there is a good chance he will appreciate getting a pokémon game as a present. Most people like these games, haha. Black or White, or Black 2 or White 2 would be my suggestions, unless he has them already.

If you lean more towards not giving him anything pokémon related, you could try posting this question in Chit-Chat & Polls instead, but the best thing would be to simply ask some friends directly rather than to post a thread asking this rather personal question.

-merged

tnfsf11

So guys I've been meaning to ask (I hope this is the right place!), is anybody here other than me wanted a gen that has genderless starters?
I don't mean they should be objects :P but I'm sure they can be stuff like Porygon, Baltoy & Cresselia.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I'm not sure Cresselia would make an excellent starter, haha. But yeah something like Magnemite for instance. I totally think that could be interesting. Thing with genderless pokémon is that they are either legendary (or ~ish at least) or item-based. Such as Magnemite or Baltoy (from a clay doll). But they don't have to be items just because they are item-based. Hmm, does that new sword pokémon have gender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back