• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black & White VS. previous games

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2012
I have played several of the games in the series, so I think I have a small grasp of how the games stack up to each other... I have played Sapphire, Ruby, FireRed, Diamond, Soulsilver, Emerald and Black. With Gold thrown in there somewhere.

Personally, I cannot STAND some things about Black. I dislike the Pokemart and Pokemon Center being in the same building. I know it saves time, but it just irks me for some reason...
Also, I dislike the way the "camera" zooms in on your character as you enter a building.
But my biggest complaint has to do with battle. I really do not like the way the "camera" goes from one pokemon to the other in battle. It seems to take more time in combat or something...

So how do Black and White stack up against the other games in your opinion?

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2012
Well, i personally enjoyed Black. Especially for the new feel it gave to the series.

I really enjoyed Fire Red, and Red, and Platinum, but havent played many of the other ones. I did feel like the story line progressed a bit fast in comparison to some of the previous games, but either way i enjoyed it as a whole.

The whole series needed a bit of a revamp, honestly. The same thing for how many years? It's about time they gave it some pizazz! But it wasnt even much, i think everyones just mad it changed even slightly.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I think, for me, BW will stack up in the same way as RS in my estimations. I really enjoyed playing them both at the time, but have no real desire to go back to them, and I imagine they'll probably fade in my estimations in comparison to my best memories - that of RBY and GSC. But I can't say for sure what I'm going to remember or look back on, so it's best to take my opinion with a huge pinch of salt.

Years
I feel as though I would be biased towards any other games in a versus or comparison. RBY and GSC just hold too many great memories to properly allow myself to not be biased in picking them as an overall favorite or winner in a comparison. Each new generation brings something new to the table, exciting or not, and I respect each game for that. They are all good and respectable in their own rights.

DavidBarnes

Forever young.
Years
Honestly, I feel like White & Black did nothing but IMPROVE upon the Pokemon series. Everything is brilliantly paced & looks great. I love how they make it seem just more climatic at times as well.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Pokemon B&W were superior to its predecessors , the only complain i have is that some tm's are missing and the item and pokeball mixed in the bag instead of being separated like in the old days , also not storing items in computer

Mentalii

Back
Years
Nostalgia makes me prefer previous games. But BW were great games I think (despite the fact that I didn't like the Pokémon from 5th gen). Anyway, they can't surmount the former games in my heart, RBY, GSC, RSE... They were amazing games, that allowed us to love the world of Pokémon. If I hadn't played those first, I don't think that BW would have converted me to Pokémon. However, I think they're way better than DPP.

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2023
I like BW but it just didn't appeal to me. The pokemon for example looked too...toyish is a good word. They seemed more like stuffed animals than the previous gens. Also the game progressed too fast compared to the other games. You didn't really have to train all that much in order to beat the game. The after game is by far the most boring of them all. There should have been some sort of Battle Tower or something like the Battle Frontier from Emerald. I liked the Dome battles on Emerald.

RBY>RSE/FRLG>GSC/HGSS>DPPt>B/W

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I like BW but it just didn't appeal to me. The pokemon for example looked too...toyish is a good word. They seemed more like stuffed animals than the previous gens. Also the game progressed too fast compared to the other games. You didn't really have to train all that much in order to beat the game. The after game is by far the most boring of them all. There should have been some sort of Battle Tower or something like the Battle Frontier from Emerald. I liked the Dome battles on Emerald.

Really? I had to spend excess hours just training to stay on level with some of the gyms, especially against the Elite Four. It took me twice as long to beat Black and White as it did for me to beat the older games. I usually beat them within or under 24 hours and it took me around 40 to beat black and White.

blue

gucci
Years
At the time I was playing Black & White I was thinking "These are the best games out of them all!" but now looking back on it they still fall short of RSE granted that they are still great games.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think they're great games and they introduced two of my favorite Pokemon (Petilil and Victini), but I still find some games better. But that doesn't make them bad! I learned how to RNG on Black so it's always going to hold a place in my heart for that. :)

But, for the thread's sake, I guess this is my view:

RSE > GSC/HGSS > BW > RBY > DPPt > FRLG

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I've played all the non-spin off Pokemon games and I was thoroughly impressed with B/W.

The scenery in the over world was absolutely amazing, the way the Pokemon are constantly animated while keeping the game running smoothly was something that seemed practically impossible before this. I can not praise the speed the game runs at highly enough, that is such a minor detail in the games but it seems like a world of difference when you compare it to the older games.

Of course the reusable TMs was a long required addition, so many Pokemon I wanted to use had such bad move pools and I had to pick and choose between which Pokemon should get a TM since they were a one time thing.

The only thing this game lacked was the ability to re-battle trainers. It made no sense as to why they omitted this feature since it's been every other game since G/S.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I've played all the non-spin off Pokemon games and I was thoroughly impressed with B/W.

The scenery in the over world was absolutely amazing, the way the Pokemon are constantly animated while keeping the game running smoothly was something that seemed practically impossible before this. I can not praise the speed the game runs at highly enough, that is such a minor detail in the games but it seems like a world of difference when you compare it to the older games.

Of course the reusable TMs was a long required addition, so many Pokemon I wanted to use had such bad move pools and I had to pick and choose between which Pokemon should get a TM since they were a one time thing.

The only thing this game lacked was the ability to re-battle trainers. It made no sense as to why they omitted this feature since it's been every other game since G/S.

Actually no it hasn't, The ability to rebattle trainers outside of G/S/HG/SS was restricted to Third games and remakes only. None of the original released games had Rematch abilities.

As for reusable TMs, I really disliked that. Kinda hopin they take it out in B2W2 but that won't happen.

B/W are at the top of my Favorite Pokemon game followed by R/B and then DP. RSE comes in fourth. I liked some things but overall I didn't like that region or a majority of the Pokemon. Last is G/S to me they were just knock offs to R/B and I never liked the story since they were just leftovers from the R/B games.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
Actually no it hasn't, The ability to rebattle trainers outside of G/S/HG/SS was restricted to Third games and remakes only. None of the original released games had Rematch abilities.

There was the VS Seeker was in Diamond and Pearl. Ruby and Sapphire also let you rebattle trainers when you talked to them after a certain period of time, there was just no indication of when you could rebattle them.

Years
I think Black & White were a big improvement in my case.

Especially reusable TM's and Lucky Eggs being easier to obtain, not to mention it introduced some of my fave characters and Pokemon.

I loved the design of the protagonists, Hilda is like... she's awesome.

I didn't like that they left out certain moves from the TM list.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
It seems to me like the newer the game, the worse it gets. The older games seem better to me, but that could just be due to the many fond memories. :) I'm not into B/W like I was into G/S/C and R/S/E either. :(

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
To me I think Pokémon Creators should think a bit more in what they are doing, I mean include some features from previous games, one thing that I loved about Yellow and then about HG and SS, was that you had a pokémon following you and I was really hoping for Black/White to have that too, but sadly no.
But I love the way the game looks in general, I liked the character, the interface was kinda good, but it still didn't get to the charm that the old games had.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
BW are my favorites so far--they're a lot more story driven than the previous games, I felt, and everything seems well balanced and thought out (though I too miss the rebattles). I love the game mechanics changes, especially reusable TMs and gradated EXP gains according to level. Music was also fun, especially Accumula Town's piano. And it was possible to take the bad guys at least a little bit seriously.
Also: Volcarona.
As a side note, I think the battles actually progress more quickly than in DPPt (I seem to remember reading this on Serebii); everything is quite fluid.

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2016
I absolutely loved Black and White! The only problems I had with them were their linearity and the fact that they were a little too plot driven i.e. there were nowhere near enough sidequests, like the Pokéathlon in HGSS or places like the Trick House and Battle Tents in RSE (Musicals do not count :P).

And thus:

RSE>HGSS>BW>DPPt=FRLG>GSC>RBY

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
The only games that beat BW, in my opinion, are HGSS. So essentially, I think that BW are the best original main series games. While I do prefer the story in RBY and GSC (and thus FRLG and HGSS), I... can't really explain it. I've played all of the games recently, and I just enjoyed playing this one the most.

Back