• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Regrets.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
This might go in Pokemon Gaming Central. Wasn't sure.

Alright, for those who played Pokemon as a little kid. Did you ever have it where you played through elementary school, then when middle school started you felt as if it wasn't "cool" anymore and you transitioned out of it? Then, you wanted to get back into it, but you would need to buy all new games and consoles and stuff, and your parents just thought that you grew out of it so they wouldn't buy it for you?

Seems like a long type of question, but I feel like this happens a lot. The whole middle school phase where everything seemed like a popularity contest made me put down my Gameboy and start opening up to different things outside of games and I really regret that. I really wanted a 3DS and Pokemon X/Y for Christmas, but I knew I'd never get it, because my mom just assumes it's something that I played when I was a kid, therefore, I wouldn't continue to play it. It sucks :( Cause that's what I wanted!

Years
This might go in Pokemon Gaming Central. Wasn't sure.

Alright, for those who played Pokemon as a little kid. Did you ever have it where you played through elementary school, then when middle school started you felt as if it wasn't "cool" anymore and you transitioned out of it? Then, you wanted to get back into it, but you would need to buy all new games and consoles and stuff, and your parents just thought that you grew out of it so they wouldn't buy it for you?

Seems like a long type of question, but I feel like this happens a lot. The whole middle school phase where everything seemed like a popularity contest made me put down my Gameboy and start opening up to different things outside of games and I really regret that. I really wanted a 3DS and Pokemon X/Y for Christmas, but I knew I'd never get it, because my mom just assumes it's something that I played when I was a kid, therefore, I wouldn't continue to play it. It sucks :( Cause that's what I wanted!

Same story. My last game was Emerald, but now I just went to the store and bought me a 3DS + Pokémon X simply because I could :D I've alreayd spent 45 hours on it.
I also signed about on this forum because this is a place where you can talk about with others and share your opinions and stuff like that.

Years
Same story. My last game was Emerald, but now I just went to the store and bought me a 3DS + Pokémon X simply because I could :D I've alreayd spent 45 hours on it.
I also signed about on this forum because this is a place where you can talk about with others and share your opinions and stuff like that.

Exactly the same here. I was one of the 'genwunners' or whatever you call em at first (or well, genwuntwounthreeur more like it) and I thought that Gen 4 bastardized the entire series, and that Gen 5 did nothing to make it better. I hated Pokémon in general for a while when I was younger because yeah, people thought it was uncool and since I had previously been such a huge pokémans enthusiast at the school, I was targeted for it, and therefore started disliking it. After a while I stopped hating however, and instead it became like a guilty, secret pleasure for a while.
Then I got into a new cool school where Pokéman was cool again and I decided to try out Black which I didn't like that much at first because many of the pokémon designs were pretty awful (I still hate the elemental monkey trio to this day, especially the red one) but when I had gotten through it I had to admit that it actually was pretty good, especially the story.

Now when X and Y was released, I couldn't help but get my hands on a copy, and I have no regrets.
Well, maybe some, since I'm now hooked and I'm procrastinating on more important things... ._.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 19, 2022
Luckily all through school nothing caused me to ever quit playing pokemon and I stayed with the game series and didn't really miss any games or handheld nintendo systems. Of course I kept my love for Pokemon quiet mostly, but that didn't stop me from playing at home. Only time I took a break for a while was when I had a kid due to limited time, but now I'm back in to it. ^w^

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I admit, I did realize it was "uncool" to play during my beginning teenage years, but that didn't stop me at all from playing, as mentioned above, I just didn't advertise it to the world. I even started ordering the games online instead of going into the store and having people judge me for buying Pokemon, but now that I think about it, it was kinda stupid of me to have that mentality. Now I could care less, and fortunately it seems that a lot of college students are open about playing.

Guest123_x1

This kind of thing actually happened to me, back in 2005-06, where I turned in all my Pokémon game cartridges, and got rid of most of my other Pokémon things as well, but my reasoning for this was slightly different. Since then, especially in recent years as I've been going through hard times, I've been thinking of fully getting back into Pokémon, but really couldn't anyway because I don't have any of the more recent Nintendo handheld systems. However, during this recent period, I have been playing Yellow and Silver via emulators, and have looked for actual copies on eBay, but have never gone through to buy them as not only do I not have all kinds of money laying around, I don't have a PayPal account (and don't really plan on getting one either.)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I did stop playing Pokémon at one point, but not because I thought it was "uncool" or anything like that. I stopped because I'd grown pretty tired of it. I got back into the games two years later, though. Would I do the same again? Maybe, but even if I do, I'll still get back into Pokémon eventually, just like before.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Alright, for those who played Pokemon as a little kid. Did you ever have it where you played through elementary school, then when middle school started you felt as if it wasn't "cool" anymore and you transitioned out of it?

I was in middle school when Pokémon Red/Blue came out here in the US, and it was popular during the height of the fad, but it never really died out completely. Even when I was a teenager and later an adult, it wasn't hard to find people my age that played the games. You just have to know where to look.

That said, I've fallen out of Pokémon a couple of times, but only briefly and in favor of other game series. The longest of which fell smack in the middle of GenIV. After I found Diamond and Pearl to be very underwhelming games, I got into other games and a bunch of real-world distractions so much that I didn't get back into the series until HG/SS came about. I didn't even realize Platinum was a thing until a couple years later. :/

Years
This kind of thing actually happened to me, back in 2005-06, where I turned in all my Pokémon game cartridges, and got rid of most of my other Pokémon things as well, but my reasoning for this was slightly different. Since then, especially in recent years as I've been going through hard times, I've been thinking of fully getting back into Pokémon, but really couldn't anyway because I don't have any of the more recent Nintendo handheld systems. However, during this recent period, I have been playing Yellow and Silver via emulators, and have looked for actual copies on eBay, but have never gone through to buy them as not only do I not have all kinds of money laying around, I don't have a PayPal account (and don't really plan on getting one either.)

I've been playing Pokémon Red and Gold on my phone, which isn't even an IPhone/ Androidphone.
If you have an IPhone/ Androidphone you can play other gens as well. It's fun because it's handheld, and just like the real thing except for the online trading/ battling.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I'm currently playing Black and it's pretty fun, but it's not the same without the whole WiFi thing that everyone does. I really want a 3Ds and Pokemon X, but for Christmas I ended up getting a Ps4 and I don't think I'll get another game system anytime soon. :(

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
As the trainers on Nugget Bridge would say, "I did my best, I have no regrets."
I have more than a few things that I regret in my life but a game I play for fun isn't one of them.

Years
I didn't stop playing Pokemon, but I did stop battling.
I didn't stop playing, I've been very attached to it.
I only took breaks from it, for a month or so. I'm even playing X right now while posting. (Dual wield,yeah...)
Battling in Pokemon was my thing, I thought I'd never stop battling competitively, but sadly, I did.

It happened at 2009, where I always won online, I grew tired of it, winning all the time isn't fun at all.
I stopped, then three years later, I became rusty at it which I'm not happy about, but the good part is, that I kept losing.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I remember I stopped playing, well it was more like on and off for a couple of years. I'd trade my games off thinking I won't get back into it then buy them again having to start over!

Years
There was a definite stigma that started maybe in fifth grade, but I didn't really care. In seventh grade (2007-2008) or so, though, I genuinely put Pokemon away. I had Pearl, but for months, maybe a year, it went virtually unplayed, as did my Emerald. It wasn't really until the fall of 2009, when I started cross-country, that I picked it up again; everyone on the team played Pokemon. I've been going strong more or less ever since.

To answer your question directly, though, no, the stigma's never driven me to quit, at least with the video games. (The cards, however, I gave up in 2006, in the summer after fifth grade, because I felt I was too old for them. Now I really just don't care.)

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Thankfully for me i never stopped playing pokemon even though some of my classmates outgrew it because according to me i should do what i want and if i like pokemon to hell to the rest who tell me it sucks ! I have been a pokemon fan for 12 years and still continue to be so :D

Years
Actually, I played Pokemon from 5 years old until I was around 11. Around that time, I got obsessed with GTA...went through puberty...and suddenly got too busy with crushes and all that drama in 6th grade -.- fast forward 2 years. 13 years old, got Pokemon Diamond for my birthday that spring. Became obsessed. All my friends played, no one cared what others thought. It was cool. It was popular to play. My friends attended events at the Pokemon Center in NYC, our local Toys R Us, and battled all over. Now that was an awesome middle school experience. xD

Pokemon Diamond is extremely memorable to me because that same year, I fell in love for the first time >_> and it was the best but worst time of my life. Man, I remember showing her my Pokemon in Diamond xD (she was 3 years older than me, and found it a bit funny). Nevertheless, middle school was all about Diamond & Platinum for me.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
It'd have to be not having kept first save files.
Starting with X/Y, I'm keeping my first save files (unless an unfortunate accident happens and makes me lose save files, that is), but previous gens' are ruined FOREVER. Except Sapphire, since I just got that, so I'm able to just create one save file at the start for that one and keep it forever.

Years
I never grew out of it and it never bothered me how people weren't as into it anymore, especially since one of my closest childhood friends still played a lot herself. It's been around 15 years now and I've yet to get bored, take a break, or skip a generation. <3

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I never grew out of it, but I used to keep it a secret when other kids teased me about it, and how it was for little kids. Then it became cool again and everyone thought I was cool for playing such cool games.

Back