• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which grass starter do you think has the best moveset?

Which Grass Starter has the Best Moveset?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Chikorita

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Treeko

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Turtwig

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snivy

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sirfetch’d

Well Venusaur can utilize its movepool the best, but Sceptile and Torterra both have very interesting movepools. Meganium learns a lot of support moves, and Serperior is just OK.

I would go with Venusaur because it is the best battler and can make the best use of its movepool. I went with the evolutions because you use them more.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
Outta all the starters, I think Venusaur learns the best, Torterra doesn't fall that far behind. It learns a bunch Attack base attacks like Razor Leaf, Bite, Crunch and Earthquake...C where I'm comin' from?

But battling wise...Actually using a Venusaur would be da best pick outta all the grass starters. Firstly, it's part Poison and can get STAB from the Poison Type attacks it can use; which automatically gives it an advantage against the other starters.

Except for Torterra, but hit it with a powerful enough special attack; a stat in which Venusaur has a decent amount in, it can take it down.

Years
I went with Treecko here, cos Sceptile actually has a pretty impressive but interesting movepool for a Grass-type. It gets Dragon Claw to hit hard against Dragons that would otherwise resist Grass and it also gets Aerial Ace to keep Bug-types in check.

Even though Gen 4's Physical-Special split hit it hard, it does get Swords Dance to boost its physical attack power which can make Leaf Blade hit hard.

Years
I went with Treeko/Grovyle/Sceptile because I feel it has got the most variety in its overall movepool. By level-up its has reasonable moves but it gets a very diverse learnset when you consider it can learn a huge variety of TMs to counter its weaknesses or pokemon that resist it (Dragon Claw, Brick Break, Arial Ace, X-Scissor, Earthquake also I think).

Torterra falls fairly close behind for me just because it can utilize powerful ground type moves with STAB and help negate its weakness to fire types.

or19937

Keep calm & BURN IT WITH FIRE!
Years
It's definitely not my favorite grass starter, but for usability in battle I'd go with le tree gecko and its reptilian evolutions. They fit my style of battling, SP atk & Speed is my thing.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
It's a tie between Treecko and Turtwig. The Treecko line has a wide offensive movepool, even though its Special one is a bit smaller than its Physical one. The Turtwig line has a good movepool on the offensive and defensive ends.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Sceptile hands down, the other Grass-types only learn the generic SolarBeam, Synthesis, etc.

#isthenumbersign
Years
Definitely Toterra, at least from the knowledge I have of Sceptile. Haven't seen any updated move lists for Sceptile, but all I remember it having was Leaf Blade.

Torterra's got Earthquake and some other nice moves that work well offensively and defensively.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Oh my god, Torterra in a heartbeat. I never used it, but if I were forced to utilise one of the Grass starters in a team, it would definitely get my vote. An awesome secondary type results in STAB Earthquake AND Giga Drain AND Crunch (non-STAB but still awesome). I really can't argue with that.

Back