• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: PG4Map - A map viewer for 4th Gen

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2010
Hello there! I'm going to present to you something which most of you might have anticipated for quite some time...

... a map viewer for 4th Gen (NDS) Pokémon!

First of all, this tool is neither a hoax nor a 100% complete map viewer! For now it's a bit 'rough around the edges' with a rather poor useability ( I wouldn't even call it beta nor alpha, although there aren't any serious bugs for now ;) ), but it's able to display maps in full 3D without having to cut stuff out with an hex editor first...

For now there's also a slight bug concerning some map terrain, it also can't open some maps from HG/SS (most from D/P seem to work, though).
You also need to know how to extract files from ROMs to make it work (tutorial is included!). At the moment it's intended to be used by other programmers/hackers to get some really 4th Gen map viewing / editing stuff done!

MAKE SURE TO READ INCLUDED TUTORIAL FIRST!
You also need .NET Framework 3.5 installed to make it work!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Hey said it can't open some maps for HG/SS. So, that means it still works for it, seeing as HG/SS are 4th generation.

.YAS.

Media > Gaming
Years
  • Age 29
  • no?
  • Seen Nov 27, 2010
Awesome, it works! ^^
But for some reason there are no textures on my maps, they're just black&white...Guess it's the "Glitchy texture bug" (?)

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
"you need the tools Nitro Explorer and kiwi.ds' NDS Edit."
Could you include downloadlinks for those in this thread (if it's legal) ?

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2013
This is the most epic program for 4th gen ive heard of.
I wanted to ask you about the source due to the fact that i am planning on making a 4th Gen Map Editor but have no knowlage in viewing the Maps, so i wanted to know how you viewed the 3D models and was wonedring where they are stored,
PM Me for more info on my 4th Gen Map Editor "Diamond Map"

also could you not just find the path of the map file inside the ROM and make your program look there?b

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
I always wanted to edit 4th Generatin Game. I think you will finis this toll soon. Is there any way to Downlod "Net Framework" Directly from Internet?

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2013
Hmm... What about extracting the map data and putting it in a folder called
Example:
Map Data
and uses the Rom header to tell the diffrence between the games?

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
This is a very interesting tool.
Well done one making it.
Maybe rope in a few people to help, and you might get something really nice going!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
A map viewer is a step in the right direction to making a map editor for the fourth generation. I must say kudos to you.

sir.euge

Bunchies Back!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
Wow, amazing. I will try this out right now an post some feedback. Awesome!
I tried it and it works normally. Alot of the maps dont work, but as long as something works, its good enough for me.
You can get NDS Editor V0.1 by Kiwi.ds from here. You need to REGISTER TO DOWNLOAD
http://tahaxan.arcnor.com/forums/index.php?topic=66

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
I cant seem to load any textures, all the maps are pure white

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
lol, is it just me or are the trees, and their trunks separated on pokemon pearl?
now that i've tried this, I really like it. Good job :D
I think that this is really the only tool we *need* to map edit.
Why?
because if we can experiment with the land data sets, and re-open them with ur map viewer, then all it takes is re-inserting them with the explorer and nitro. I would kind of like to see some bug fixes made with the tile loading, but I understand that it might be a challenge to do that...
lol, how many times have i said good job?
l'll say it again; Good Job :D

smurph717

Programmer
Years
Hey, I'm having issues with the textures in the HG/SS maps (some are white, and some are just the wrong texture). Any suggestions before I go poking around in the stuff I'm not familiar with? Also, I made a quick change to the viewer that allows us to open *all* of the HG/SS maps (see my thread in the R&D forum).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2014
lol the way the maps look remind me of dds files i hacked for s4 league lol

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
Years
Nice tool, but I've read the tutorial so many times over, and I got it to work with HGSS maps, but not with Diamond, or Platinum maps.

It comes up with "This program has encountered an error and needs to close" going through the debug.

Could you maybe explain to my why it does this? Or have I missed something out? >:l

smurph717

Programmer
Years
if you can open the HG/SS maps, you must be using my modified tool right? the modification I made breaks DPP support because the format is different. if you wanna see the DPP maps use the original tool found in the first post of this thread. I figured out why there are texture issues in the HG/SS maps; the new maps used a previously unused feature of NSBMD models, so the texture pairing got a little off. I'll release a fix when I have time (probably around Tuesday next week, coursework load is heavy this week).

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
Years
Alright, well I can't wait for your release. But I am using the tool from the first post. I didn't even know you had a project like this...? xD

Back