• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: PG4Map - A map viewer for 4th Gen

smurph717

Programmer
Years
hm... well if you're using the tool from the first post, you should be having issues with the HGSS maps and you should be able to open the DPP maps. can you give more detail about the error message?

Years
  • Seen May 5, 2010
Nice tool, but I've read the tutorial so many times over, and I got it to work with HGSS maps, but not with Diamond, or Platinum maps.

It comes up with "This program has encountered an error and needs to close" going through the debug.

Could you maybe explain to my why it does this? Or have I missed something out? >:l

I'm having the same issue. What version of windows do you have. I'm running Windows 7 Professional and I have .Net framework 4 and 3.5 and thought 4 was messing it up so i tried it in the xp emulator but it still didn't work. What does it get stuck on? Pics of what it looks like when it crashes in attachments. I have Visual Studio 2010 installed an it asked if I wanted to debug and this is the error it gave me
Index out of Range was unhandled

smurph717

Programmer
Years
that's related, but not quite what we need. that tool simply edits the models on the maps, not the maps themselves. the maps themselves have their own data structures that for the moment can only be edited in a hex editor because there's no tool that exists for it yet. i've made some huge progress on this front, and i should have a release in a few weeks (college workload the past few weeks and exams this week have held me back a bit). if someone that already understands all this wants to help me out and point me in the right direction on one tiny issue, i'd really appreciate it. oh, and i fixed the white trees issue for this tool, but only on the private version i've been working on for hgss. if someone wants me to change it so it works for the dpp maps, i'll post it, but just be aware it's still not too useful, as nothing can be edited. i can post the hgss viewer too if someone wants it, but its still not useful yet.

sir.euge

Bunchies Back!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
Oh, forgot to ask if youre still offering to release that little bug fix. Can you post your little version of this spicy viewer? I really want to get into some viewing so that my eyes wont die from nasty sour views on internet GOOD STUFF. I just need the viewer so that i can research coordinates and probably expand knowledge of map editing in Hex

smurph717

Programmer
Years
lol i dont understand why c# has such a reputation for being crippled and whatnot, it's just as capable as everything else (and in fact on most newer machines runs faster than an equivalent program in c++). anyway i haven't been able to make much progress recently (moving back home from college for the summer, finding a job, etc) but hopefully i can get back to work on everything soonish. i'll post the hgss map fix later today if anyone still needs it.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
lol i dont understand why c# has such a reputation for being crippled and whatnot, it's just as capable as everything else (and in fact on most newer machines runs faster than an equivalent program in c++). anyway i haven't been able to make much progress recently (moving back home from college for the summer, finding a job, etc) but hopefully i can get back to work on everything soonish. i'll post the hgss map fix later today if anyone still needs it.

I never said it was bad. I program with it myself, using visual studio and XNA. That's why I said that; I haven't seen such good work with C#.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years

unless my facts are wrong, and misleading...
C++ will always be faster than C#
why?
because, isn't C# some .NET only thing?
what is .NET?
a scripting language made to look like a programming language. By default, I'm pretty sure that the things aren't actually compiled (try to run them with olly ;) ) but, i think you can 'compile' them using dotfuscator, but I'm not certain. you should be able to figure out on your own why a scripting language is slower than C++...

so yea, i'm not bagging on C# or anything, just thought i might inform you, and if i'm wrong, then enlighten myself :P

sir.euge

Bunchies Back!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
Yea, I was wanting that map viewer if youre still offering

smurph717

Programmer
Years
@fullmetal: yeah, actually you are technically wrong on that. C# is compiled, but to .NET bytecode to run on the .NET virtual machine (much like java) so it can be later translated to the native machine code of the platform. this method can be (and for .NET is) extremely efficient and many of the core .NET libraries are actually written in native code so they still have good speed anyway. there was an article i read on msdn recently about benchmarks for c++ vs c# and on everything newer than intel core 2 duo the .NET vm was actually much quicker.

@sir.euge: i'm going to bed soon cuz i'm tired as hell so i'll post the fix tomorrow i guess (assuming i dont have anything to do, i forget what i planned lol).

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
-.- u do realize that microsoft (aka the developer of .NET, for helping you see where i'm going) writes msdn stuff right? and you really shouldn't take words from companies saying that. idk, maybe its just because i dont' see the logic behind that, but that concept doesn't seem possible...
are there any updates with texture loading and what not on the program?

Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2011
It makes sense to me. Basically, it takes the program, translates it to .NET. .NET translates it to machine code. Then you run it. I don't get why that would be any faster than plain old "convert it to machine code and run it", but maybe it's because C++ become unoptimized over the years. We're talking about the descendant of the language that wrote Windows 3.1 after all. Then again, C# would also be the descendant of C, so yeah...

Smurph717, what part of the map editor are you working on now? The editing part, the saving part, the UI part, etc... Just interested.

Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2012
i'm going to give it ago,
its the only gen 4 map thats free and works

Back