• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[OoC] Pokémon: Aether's Edge [T]

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
NOTE: This is the Aether's Edge out-of-character thread. For all story advancement posts, please visit the IC thread here.

This is a sweet little idea I had for a fanfiction, and then I decided to do myself one better and thought "why not make this into a roleplay?" So here it is, the result of ten minutes' brainstorming, which I think has turned into quite a decent idea for a story. Hope you enjoy!

(Sign-ups are open and the roleplay will commence with four participants. Sign-ups will close at a maximum of seven participants.)

POKÉMON: AETHER'S EDGE

The isles of Carendor and Kinroth are in turmoil. The two warring nations have been clashing for a hundred and fifty years, resulting in the widespread strife of people and Pokémon alike. It wasn't always a land of conflict, though; since time immemorial, all the peoples of the continent were united under the Citadel. All life carried on peacefully, a utopia of harmony between all organisms. As with all things good, however, it simply could not last. A splinter-group of three powerful members of the Citadel's hierarchy wished to claim more than just Kinroth and Carendor for themselves. They wanted to dominate the entire world, certain that every sentient being in existence should submit to their power.

The twisted members of the Citadel's Council, named Zetan, Ikima and Ozyth, known collectively as the Three, attempted the assassination of the council's High Ruler, using their unnaturally powerful Pokémon. Zetan's lightning struck, Ikima's flames seared and Ozyth's water flooded in torrents, but the High Ruler, protected by the divine power of Arceus that was handed down through the Royal Family, would not be defeated. He banished the tainted three from Kinroth, forcing them to live out the rest of their days on the highest volcanic peak of Carendor - Ardust Mountain.

A multitude of Citadel rebels who shared the same ideals as the three banished councilors then followed them to Carendor, where they bided their time for a century. They dubbed themselves "the Legion", and according to spy intelligence, constructed vast fortresses purposed for battle. They thrived in an otherwise arid wasteland. And then, like a flood, their army of man and Pokémon bred purely for battle stormed Kinroth, once again attempting to take the continent for themselves. And just as before, they were subdued by the High Ruler. This time, however, their defeat did not last. A seemingly infinite supply of Legion soldiers is constantly barraging Kinroth's defenses, an effort which is mostly in vain, due to the Aetherian Crystal - the vessel of Arceus' power. Wielded by the High Ruler, it has the power to augment the physical and ethereal strength of Kinroth's armies beyond that of natural limitations.

Now, an issue arises that may lead to the annihilation of Kinroth's people. The High Ruler, the beloved monarch of Kinroth for over three hundred years, has been killed, and the Aetherian Crystal destroyed. The assassin, when apprehended, refused to give any reason for his actions. He is currently sitting in a dungeon cell, constantly twitching, shaking his head, and muttering about "red eyes in the dark". When pressed, the only other words that he uttered were "from Oracus Peak, Arceus knows your soul is taken!" The investigation into his background has so far yielded no connection to the Legion.

This event has spread utter discord throughout the Council. How could the Aetherian Crystal fail? How could such a powerful and ancient artifact even be destroyed? The remaining four members of the Council have agreed not to disclose the death of the High Ruler to the public, as it would do nothing but spread panic. Soon enough, though, both the citizens of Kinroth and Carendor will realize that the tide of battle has been turned.

This is where you come in. As a long-serving soldier of the Citadel Army, you have been selected as part of an elite task force; a last-ditch effort to find the reasoning behind the assassin's motives before it's too late. You have seen the true horrors of war and experienced the glory of a battle won. Having just recieved word that the Council need to see you, you and your partner Pokémon are required to make your way to the Citadel Palace, where you will await further instruction. Your involvement in this war could influence its entire outcome.

A LETTER FROM THE COUNCIL A.K.A. THE SIGN-UP SHEET
Spoiler:

An Official Summons from the High Council of Kinroth

[Master/Mistress] [Name],

The Citadel's High Council cordially requests your presence at a hearing of the utmost importance to the situation of the war. You have proven your worth through trials far beyond the abilities of many others aged [your age], such as [battle story 1]. As we understand, you hail from [birthplace], and if you wish to see your place of birth survive, you surely understand that this war must be won at any cost. The official records state that [character's history/personality/background]. Paired with your partner Pokémon [partner species], we believe that you would be suited to undertaking this task of great importance.

We ask that you appear before the High Council at your earliest possible opportunity.

- The High Council of the Citadel of Kinroth

Bits to fill out:
[Master/Mistress]: A simple title, this will announce your gender.
[Name]: Self-explanatory, really...
[Battle Story 1]: Just a bit of background/bragging about your prowess as a soldier/spy/trainer etc.; write it into the letter as best you can.
[Birthplace]: Can be anywhere in the Pokémon world! Just keep in mind that this is based in medieval times.
[Character's history/personality/background]: Also pretty self-explanatory. Try to beef this out as much as possible - a paragraph is great!
[Partner Species]: The one Pokémon that you've spent your life with. Every citizen of Kinroth is paired with a Pokémon at birth. Don't include nicknames here unless you write it into the context of the letter!

I've left out the usual "appearance/clothing" criterion, because I much prefer people to write that into their first in-character post. "Show, don't tell"! ;)

CARENDOR AND KINROTH

Map
Spoiler:

Locations
Spoiler:

NON-PLAYABLE CHARACTER LIST
Spoiler:

ACCEPTED CHARACTERS
Dante DeMarco (Ryuujin-kun)
Spoiler:

INVENTORIES, PARTIES AND BOXES
None yet!

THE OH-SO-SACRED RULES THAT LOOK INTIMIDATING BUT ARE JUST HERE TO HELP EVERYONE ENJOY THEMSELVES
1. Follow all existing PC global and role-playing rules.
2. "God modding" can be a grey area. Don't control anybody else's character beyond inconsequential, short lines of speech without permission.
3. I will decide whether or not a Pokémon is captured. Leave the ball rocking at the end of your post. (Pokéballs are also only available after a certain point in the first chapter)
4. You may create, control and battle NPCs that do not affect the story.
5. If you battle with another role-playing character, discuss the outcome of the battle between yourselves either in the OoC thread or private messages.
6. Let me know if you're going to be inactive for any more than 48 hours.
7. Your Pokémon may learn new moves at any time, but please be reasonable. No baby Pidgeys with Sky Attack and whatnot.
8. You may keep a maximum of 6 Pokémon with you at any time. A box-like system will be revealed around Chapter 2.
9. No lore or legends may be mentioned regarding the following Legendary Pokémon unless it is lore distributed to characters by the gamemaster: Arceus, Giratina, Palkia, Dialga, Suicune, Raikou, Entei, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza. Your character has not had any association with any of these Pokémon.
10. Out-of-character discussions are limited to the OoC thread. You must fill out a sign-up sheet and wait for it to be accepted, as usual, before participating in this roleplay.
11. This is a sandbox-style roleplay that partially follows a storyline. As new areas are revealed, you will be free to explore the regions as you see fit.

Last edited:

Icy Burn

Beginner Breeder | Kyurem W <3
Years
Hello! This looks very interesting! :3 Is it possible for me to reserve a spot for 48 hours? I'm on my iPod, so I can't copy and paste the SU information, and I don't really want to hand write the SU stuff ... Is that OK?

Ryuujin-kun

He Who Sleeps But Now Awakens
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2012

Master Dante DeMarco,

The Citadel's High Council cordially requests your presence at a hearing of the utmost importance to the situation of the war. You have proven your worth through trials far beyond the abilities of many others aged 20, such as during your valiant efforts against the hordes of the Legion at Ess'Lor Lake, where you put yourself onto the front lines in order to make a strategic victory for the Citadel forces stationed there. The High Council understands that you had no obligation to assist with an operation outside of your field of expertise and not even being considered as a registered citizen of Kinroth, yet we thank you for your courage and tenacity in these daring times.

As we understand, you hail from Phenac City from the distant land of Orre, and if you wish to see your place of birth survive, you surely understand that this war must be won at any cost. The official records state that you were originally under the tutillage of the man formerly known as Shinku Tama from the age of 12, after he had recruited you to travel with him on various expeditions across our fair land of Kinroth. Along with the respective regions of Johto and Sinnoh, you traveled far and wide to assist in the affairs of others as well as hone your skills as a warrior with your Pokemon. As you continued along, you learned valuable lessons that would make you an asset to any army, including the Kinroth Guard (Should you choose to accept such a position, we have an officer designation awaiting your arrival.) Along the way, you also learned many strategic information from what one may consider a father figure in Shinku Tama, who passed away two years ago. Ever since, you've continued to reside in his native home of Kinroth, and we thank you for the services thus rendered at the time this letter reaches you. Being the astute and learning child many of the lords and ladies have come to see you as during your earlier visits, the High Council sends hopes that this tragic event will not change your outlook on our government in any way, being that he was shot down by Carendor troops on a sanctioned military expedition into the wilderness to investigate the actions of known rebel forces in the area. A rugged individual such as yourself should have no problem overcoming such hardships in a quick and efficient manner as to come to the aid of your countrymen. However, should you feel the need to recuse yourself from the tasks at hand concerning our struggles with The Legion based on your history with the High Council, simply reply doing so and we will find a suitable replacement in your stead.

Paired with your partner Pokémon Skarmory, we believe that you would be suited to undertaking this task of great importance.

We ask that you appear before the High Council at your earliest possible opportunity.

(Feel free to respond with any personal critiques! I mostly tried to mold my writing to fit as close to the format of the letter as possible, although making personal remarks there seems a bit out of place. Oh well, great RP idea, can't wait to be a part of it!)

juniebug910

Dragon of Light
Years

Mistress Saran,

The Citadel's High Council cordially requests your presence at a hearing of the utmost importance to the situation of the war. You have proven your worth through trials far beyond the abilities of many others aged 16, such as defeating a large pack of Growlithe that you had challenged (since you have a habit to challenge others often to increase your strength) with both you and your pokemon's strength. As we understand, you hail from Larun Town, and if you wish to see your place of birth survive, you surely understand that this war must be won at any cost. The official records state that you are kind enough to have rescued a group of children that was being attacked and did not accept the reward offered. This seems to point out that you are not accepting of rewards, medals, or anything like them. You only seem to rescue to help others, but seem to have your own goals as well. You do not have to speak of them, but it is very intriging. You seem to be close to your partner, and even have fought using your own strength before, no help offered by your pokemon, to protect it and others. This takes courage, which you seem you seem to have a lot of. Paired with your partner Pokémon Lucario, we believe that you would be suited to undertaking this task of great importance.

Last edited:

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
Spoiler:

(Feel free to respond with any personal critiques! I mostly tried to mold my writing to fit as close to the format of the letter as possible, although making personal remarks there seems a bit out of place. Oh well, great RP idea, can't wait to be a part of it!)

Accepted! Great sign-up :) You molded the template to fit your character, which was exactly my intention ;P

Spoiler:

Not bad! I'd like to see a little more about her personality and background, though; what were the circumstances of her conflict with the Growlithe pack? Where did she grow up, and what was her upbringing like? Keep in mind you can just post it in the form of a "traditional" sign-up; this one's experimental, I didn't expect it to work too well :3

Anyway, pending, but things are looking good for you!

This looks awesome! How long could I reserve a spot?

48 hours is the reservation window. Looking forward to your application!

OrangeNess

Layton Lover
Years
Never mind, I found time to do it.

Master Davis,

The Citadel's High Council cordially requests your presence at a hearing of the utmost importance to the situation of the war. You have proven your worththrough trials far beyond the abilities of many others aged 15, such as that time you found a relic that seems like an ancient compass. It truly helped the scholars better understand the advancements of the civilization.

As we understand, you hail fromViolet City, Johto, and if you wish to see your place of birth survive, you surely understand that this war must be won at any cost. The official records state that your odd approach to archaeology is hardly ever considered a major feat, but you have enough brain power to lift a boulder (figuratively speaking, of course).You are very charismatic and full of jokes, and that is important when trying to make new allies. You and your Drifloon are an odd combo, but you know howto use his abilities well. You two have found to be an interesting combo, witha history of finding ancient objects together. We believe that you would besuited to undertaking this task of great importance with your vast knowledge ofthe past and former cultures.

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
Never mind, I found time to do it.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I'd like to see a bit more here; What was your character's upbringing like? When did they move to Kinroth? Helped scholars to understand the advancements of which civilization? If you could beef this out to be 2-3 times bigger, you'd be in for sure ;p remember that a roleplay sign-up is your first chance to say to the gamemaster "I'll be the best darn roleplayer you ever saw!"

I'd like to reserve a position. I plan to have it up sometime tomorrow.
Sure thing :)

Icy Burn

Beginner Breeder | Kyurem W <3
Years

Master Edward Kahn,

The Citadel's High Council cordially requests your presence at a hearing of the utmost importance to the situation of the war. You have proven your worth through trials far beyond the abilities of many others aged 14, such as when you found Key of Wisdom, which other high rank Soldiers/Spies/Trainers couldn't find. This helped Archeologists and Scientists alike greatly in their research.

As we understand, you hail from Pallet Town, Kanto, the Town where a journey begins properly, and if you wish to see your place of birth survive, you surely understand that this war must be won at any cost. The official records state that you have always had a taste for battling and fighting, and you won't stop until the enemy is on their knees. You're not really a young man who has a sense of humor, it's just never been in you, nobody knows why. Paired with your partner Pokémon Dewott - a strange choice for a boy like you, we believe that you would be suited to undertaking this task of great importance with your great expedition, battle and knowledge skills.

Xlugon Pyro

Dragon Tamer
Years
Here's my sign-up. I'm not sure what the timeline of the events in the plot are, so correct me if they're off and I'll make the appropriate adjustments.

Mistress Xoxaa Wyrmoka,

The Citadel's High Council cordially requests your presence at a hearing of the utmost importance to the situation of the war. You have proven your worth through trials far beyond the abilities of many others aged 17, such as your involvement in the guerrilla crusades against the encroaching Legion forces into southern Carendor at the young age of 12. Although the region was ultimately lost to Legion control, your victory over their force commander sent their forces into chaos and gave the defenders a chance to retaliate and counter the invasion until the Legion's forces were reinforced by soldiers from the main offensive. You also assisted in the evacuation of the weak and injured from the area and guided them to safety when the battle for Carendor would be lost. As we understand, you hail from Inamos Town, and if you wish to see your place of birth survive, you surely understand that this war must be won at any cost.

The official records state that you are an heir of the Wyrmoka Clan, warriors who respect the gift of nature and who train the mighty dragon-type. Thus, you've been raised with the knowledge, wisdom, and combat skill that all heirs of Wyrmoka are taught at a young age. Despite suffering near extinction from the Legion's hordes, you managed to survive the catastrophe of your clan despite your youth and have since resorted to mercenary work across the countryside, defeating various unlawfuls and bandits, delivering important goods to many towns, and even keeping at bay Legion scouts and saboteurs. Your dedication to your line of work has been noted throughout the land, as your kind, calm, and quiet demeanor and the thoroughness of your work have been on many reports of your activity across Kinroth. Paired with your partner Pokémon dragonair, we believe that you would be suited to undertaking this task of great importance.

OrangeNess

Layton Lover
Years
Attempt #2 hope I get in this time!

Master Davis,

The Citadel's High Council cordially requests your presence at a hearing of the utmost importance to the situation of the war. You have proven your worththrough trials far beyond the abilities of many others aged 15, such as that time you found a relic that seems like an ancient compass. It truly helped the scholars better understand the advancements of the Alphians.

As we understand, you hail fromViolet City, Johto, and if you wish to see your place of birth survive, you surely understand that this war must be won at any cost. The official records state that your odd approach to archaeology is hardly ever considered a major feat, but you have enough brain power to lift a boulder (figuratively speaking, of course).You are very charismatic and full of jokes, and that is important when trying to make new allies. You and your Drifloon are an odd combo, but you know how to use his abilities well. You two have found to be an interesting combo, with a history of finding ancient objects together at the Ruins of Alph. We believe that you would besuited to undertaking this task of great importance with your vast knowledge of the past and former cultures. You may have only moved here recentally (around a year ago I beleive?), and only joined the army 3 months ago, but we beleive you could aid us in our struggle. You may not come from the richest family, but they have raised you well.

Back