• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Brawly

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Wattson

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Flannery

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Norman

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • Winona

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Tate & Liza

Votes: 129 45.1%
  • Wallace/Juan

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
In my opinion, RSE has the easiest gym leaders of all the Pokemon series, so I couldn't make a decision which one is the most difficult one. I think that the rival is the strongest though.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Really depended on the starter, especially in the beginning couple gyms. Watson was really difficult with Treecko, and sometimes even Torchic. I liked to get Crawdaunt for Tate and Liza. So probably Watson was the most difficult, especially in Emerald.

Years
NORMAN. I think the game makers thought that since Slaking attacked every other turn, they should make him super strong to make up for it... Well, that just gave me endless hours of frustration between losing to him multiple times and subsequently grinding up my Pokes.... ):

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
Wow, I didn't know people had so much trouble with Tate and Lisa. For me, it was actually Brawly. I don't really know why, but that Makuhita of his always killed me...

Years
I recently started to replay Pokemon Emerald and so far I have found Brawley to be the most difficult. I can only wait to see how many times I lose against Norman, Tata and Liza.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
for me it was Wionna and Tate and Liza because when i challenge Wionna my strongest Pokemon was my Blaziken, but she owned it with her bird team rendering the rest of my team useless exept Manectric, but she still managed to beat it, and the Twins just went through my whole team like it was nothing about 3-4 times.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2013
I know it makes me sound weak but Roxanne's Nosepass was always a pain in the butt! It always used Harden, Rock Tomb and then Rock Throw. If I could jump into the game, I would right-hook it!

kj3400

Wants a Magneton for a Charger
Years
  • Seen May 11, 2014
Norman hands down. I don't like to pick up fighting pokemon, so normal pokemon are always a problem for me. Didn't help that Norman's Slaking always used Yawn too.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Liza and Tate. Oh man, I just plain didn't like anything about their gym or battle or anything, and their final rematch in Emerald involved a Slowking that flat-out denied my Surf Everything strategy.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
After rebattling all of them in Emerald...

Roxanne: Marill owned her, although Marill sucks and took like 10 Water Guns to kill her Nosepass
Brawly: Taillow owned him.
Wattson: This was a bit challenging. In the end, Combusken managed to kill Manectric, although barely.
Flannery: Combusken used Bulk Up. Four times. Then I swept.
Norman: Aron used Iron Defense, rendering Slaking useless. Beat him up during loafing turns, avoiding Counter. The rest of his Pokémon suck.
Winona: A bit challenging since Altaria has Earthquake. Lairon uses Iron Defense to take hits, and kills Altaria. The rest are taken care of by Manectric and Combusken.
Tate & Liza: This was difficult. The actual battle was quick, but I lost three Pokémon due to not playing careful. Aggron killed Xatu, Cacturne killed Claydol, then the others fell to Manectric and Blaziken.
Juan: I destroyed all of his Pokémon easily, then Kingdra came. Juan's strategy of Double Team and Rest is really lame, Kingdra doesn't need such dirty tricks to be a powerful Pokémon. I eventually wore him down with Cacturne's Leech Seed.

So my vote goes to either Wattson or Tate & Liza.

Years
Norman...that Slaking was difficult to kill. Bulky and a good attack stat.
Everyone else were pretty easy though.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Almost all of them were pretty hard, but the hardest has to be Tate and Liza. :(

Gzomyndzor

Nature/Egg Move/IV Breeder
Years
I'm going to have to go with Roxanne here. There aren't that many trainers available to get 3 pokemon to a decent level, and her constant use of rock tomb is hard hitting on even starters which have a type advantage on her.

Doug Dimmadome

the newest pop punk sensation
Years
Definitely a tie between Flannery ((use attract one more time i dare you)) and Norman ((obvious reasons)) although with my recent game I chose Torchic instead of Mudkip and he was fairly easy to beat after evolving him into Blaziken

Back