• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Competitive Team Questions
In this thread you may ask questions about competitive team building and make moveset requests. While incomplete teams may be posted here too, it is preferred that you finish your team using our Guides & Resources and post a "Rate My Team" thread.

— Do not ask questions concerning in-game or casual team building.
Please use the In-Game Team Questions for that. If you do not know which thread to post in, check out the CTH Guidelines, because they explain the difference between competitive and in-game or casual play. If your question could be related to either, you will likely get better answers by asking here instead.

— Do not ask questions that are not specifically related to team building.
Do not ask questions about the game mechanics like "How does this move work?" and "What are EVs?," as they would best fit in the B2W2 Quick Questions thread. Do not ask questions about battling (prediction, long-term strategy, etc.) either; you may make threads in BC's main forum for those type of questions.

— Do not post an entire team.
Please make a new thread instead. See the CTH Guidelines as they go more into depth about what makes a team complete or not.

Last edited:
Years
Milotic Move Set?

Here's the deal. After 2 days of straight breeding I finally got a Feebas with a Modest Nature. I have already evolved her into Milotic.
I am going to be EV training my Milotic In Special Attack and Speed with the remaining EV's going to HP. What would be a good move set for my Milotic as a Special Sweeper?

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2014
Well, my Milotic was my besst Pokemon in Ruby.. I went with the usual sort of water type thing with Surf and Ice beam. Surf with it being a good move and STAB with a good Sp.Atk. and Ice Beam for power and good Sp.Atk. Those are the sort of obvious ones. Now, you can go for a Hypnosis - Recover moveset where you put the opponents Pokemon to sleep and recover you're health and damage them at the same time with no damage to you. Or you can use Toxic to steadily lower their health while yours gets higher. (Ice Beam and Surf are tm and hm and recover is by lvl up and i got my hypnosis from breeding with a Poliwag). Or you might want to try having just a hard special hitting moveset. Surf, Ice Beam, Hydro Pump and Rain Dance. Surf is STAB and is above average with rain dance it is amazing, ice beam just a good attack, Hydro Pump with rain dance is a brilliant special move to have on anything but obvious stuff like grass types.

So you can either have

-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Hypnosis/Toxic
-Recover

or

-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
-Rain Dance

... Done

Years
Thanks. My problem with Hydro pump it's not what anyone would call really accurate. Is there another way to get Hypnosis because it took forever to get this nature and I don't really want to go through another breeding frenzy again. Also I am doing this on Sapphire if that changes anything. One other question. What other move sets would work. Been thinking about possibly Calm Mind.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Dragon help

I want to have a couple of dragons on my team but I cant seem to get it right. I know Water and Fire/Fight doesnt work. What elements do people suggest to go with?

I know this must be a quick question thing but I didnt see anything to the sort.

Eventually I want to battle in tourneys but I cant even battle thru the battle subway. I know it would be a joke and a waste of time if I tried with the team I have. and yes I am thinking of starting from Scratch again.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I want to have a couple of dragons on my team but I cant seem to get it right. I know Water and Fire/Fight doesnt work. What elements do people suggest to go with?

I know this must be a quick question thing but I didnt see anything to the sort.

Eventually I want to battle in tourneys but I cant even battle thru the battle subway. I know it would be a joke and a waste of time if I tried with the team I have. and yes I am thinking of starting from Scratch again.

Steel Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Scizor, partner up well with Dragon Pokemon; they resist the Dragon and Ice weaknesses the Dragons are weak to (except for Skarmory and Ferrothorn; in that case, they take neutral from Ice).

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Steel Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Scizor, partner up well with Dragon Pokemon; they resist the Dragon and Ice weaknesses the Dragons are weak to (except for Skarmory and Ferrothorn; in that case, they take neutral from Ice).

I was considering Ferrothorn with the barbs in combo with Rocky helm and some Spikes

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
@AdrianD : If you're looking for a competitive Forretress set, you can try this:

Forretress @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Relaxed Nature [+Defense ; -Speed]
252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Sp.Defense
0 Speed IVs
Sturdy
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball / Volt Switch / Earthquake

Or there's a Specially Defensive spread. All the specs are the same, except you'll want a Sassy Nature [+Sp.Defense; -Speed] and 252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Sp.Defense.

As PlatinumDude said, Pokemon like Magnezone and Scizor are also good partners, so let us know if you need any information! Good luck and join lots of our tournaments when you're ready! n_n

Last edited:
Years
I have a quick question. I can't change anything but the item, but on this Infernape:

Infernape @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-Stealth Rock
-U-Turn

I can't change anything about this Infernape, but he's my lead on my fighting mono-type team and was curious what you guys would think the best item would be for the set? On one hand, the Focus Sash works if I get out-sped and can't get up Stealth Rock, but on the other hand I can usually force a switch, set up Stealth Rock, and then use the extra damage from Life Orb to take down a couple of Pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I have a quick question. I can't change anything but the item, but on this Infernape:

Infernape @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-Stealth Rock
-U-Turn

I can't change anything about this Infernape, but he's my lead on my fighting mono-type team and was curious what you guys would think the best item would be for the set? On one hand, the Focus Sash works if I get out-sped and can't get up Stealth Rock, but on the other hand I can usually force a switch, set up Stealth Rock, and then use the extra damage from Life Orb to take down a couple of Pokemon.

FYI, leads are pretty much dead in the Gen V metagame because of Team Preview, so I wouldn't use Infernape as a SR setter, given its poor defenses; it's more of a wallbreaker/sweeper. But then again, if your team really needs it, Focus Sash is the best item to use just so you get Stealth Rock in without sacrificing Infernape needlessly.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Then with that a Fire would go great with that as well. Straight fire type or combo type

If you're looking for a teammate for Forretress, you're going to want something that can counter Forretress' weaknesses (like fire) so ideally, a water type can do that effectively. It just so happens that Jellicent makes a good teammate for Forretress.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Bold Nature [+Defense ; -Attack]
248 HP / 216 Defense / 44 Speed
Water Absorb / Cursed Body
- Scald / Surf
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Taunt

Since Forretress' main job is to lay entry hazards, Jellicent's spin-blocking and Special bulk has excellent synergy. Jellicent also deals with Heatran (one of Forretress' strongest counters) by forcing it out. Tyranitar also makes a good teammate for Forretress, able to absorb incoming special attacks, but that kinda dedicates you to a Sand team soo..

@Bossk749 : I second PlatinumDude, if you're going to sack SR on Infernape, go with Stone Edge or Mach Punch. Stone Edge will provide better coverage, hitting pokemon like Gyarados -- or Mach Punch can let Infernape deal with pokemon that outpace it like Choice Scarf Tyranitar.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
go with my boy heatran, he absorbs the fire attacks that kill forretress, plus you have a sun counter, dragon counter, rapid spinner, and both damaging hazards in two pokemon

Years
FYI, leads are pretty much dead in the Gen V metagame because of Team Preview, so I wouldn't use Infernape as a SR setter, given its poor defenses; it's more of a wallbreaker/sweeper. But then again, if your team really needs it, Focus Sash is the best item to use just so you get Stealth Rock in without sacrificing Infernape needlessly.

Well all of my battles are Infared, I hate the online battles, and whenever I do we usually make an agreement not to look at eachother's team- it just takes out the fun, honestly; in regards to the focus sash, thanks, I'll use that.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
go with my boy heatran, he absorbs the fire attacks that kill forretress, plus you have a sun counter, dragon counter, rapid spinner, and both damaging hazards in two pokemon

kicker is I traded it away.

Is Venipede a good selection?

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
kicker is I traded it away.

Is Venipede a good selection?

Not really, no. You're playing in an OU environment and using the first evo of a Pokemon that isn't even OU doesn't really work out that well. :( Poison types don't really see much of a use in OU tbh, except for Venusaur and stuff, and even so, they aren't used for their poison type attacks, which Venipede would be if it was in that place.

Back