• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you thought about Poke'mon, that now you realize were wrong

Yumetaro

MAI RIBBONS
Years
I thought Omanyte was pronounced "Oh-Man-e-tee", not "O-man-ite".

I thought the reason why sometimes you couldn't escape from Wild Pokemon is because of random chance, not because the speed of the Wild Pokemon was higher.

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
I originally pronounced Raikou as "Rye-cow"; then I started learning Japanese, and realized that the "ou" is pronounced as an "oh", not an "ow". But hey, at least I always pronounced the "rai" correctly, haha :pink_giggle:

Nordk

Chief Harpoonist
Years
I pronunce Suicune as "Soo-seen", not sure why. I used to confuse Full Heal and Full Restore. Full Heal sounds like something that fixes everything, Full Restore sounds like something that should fix status effects, at least in my head.

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
Wait, Phanpy isn't pronounced "fan-fee"? How the hell are you suppossed to pronounce it then?

"Fan-pee" Ele- "PHAN" And the "Py" is supposed to be like "Sweet pee" or something to the effect of it being small and baby-like.

I originally pronounced Raikou as "Rye-cow"

I say it as "Rai-koo" the flow sounds better that way, to me.

And I say Suicune as "Si-skween". NO IDEA why. I think it's just because when I played Gold/Crystal, I glanced at the name, and derived my own pronunciation that sounded nice to me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 29, 2013
I thought it couldn't get worse after the garbage pokemon. But meh, I was wrong.

Years
^ What a first post, haha. :] (Welcome!)

For myself, just a few of the pronunciations, really. I still don't know much about poison-type... I often forget about steel-type strengths/weaknesses, too.

Years
I once believed that Wurmple evolved into Silcoon or Cascoon based on time of day, but oh man was I wrong years later after playing Ruby and Sapphire that I discovered it was based on a hidden personality value.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I put Ice Beam on Gyarados because I thought it was a powerful move. I also put Power Gem on Gigalith. Yeah, I thought they were good fits and that there wasn't such a thing as attack and special attack. I was wrong, terribly wrong.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
Well, to be fair, a lot of the names have stupid pronunciations. Haha, I hate so many of them.

I'm not certain that the anime pronounces all the names correctly either. I really don't think that the first 2 a's in Rayquaza are long a sounds, I think its just the first one.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 3, 2014
Pronounced "Meganium" as "Meganeem". Don't do it anymore but I did for years.

For the longest time I thought Geodude evolved into Onix.

Didn't know Golem and Poliwrath were in gen 1 until about a month ago.

Thought damage was simply your attack, plus the move damage, minus the enemy's defense. Yea, it's way more complicated than that XD.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
That Slowbro evolved into Slowking.

...Yeah, I think how I discovered that wasn't right was via Mystery Dungeon? Went to Slowbro's page and got the "Evolution: No further" thing. I was very confused and went to look it up, and... Lesson learned~

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Aside from the mispronunciations, I always thought that the in-game trainers were actually real trainers. Like, as in real life people. So when I encounter a trainer, I used to think that I was actually battling someone, at the exact moment, with the exact name and the exact team. Would have been a bit interesting though, I guess.

Bangladeshi

I sell cookies
Years
When I was young i used to call Ho-oH as hoohoo! lol and charizard as charger,(mobile charger? Oh c'mon i was kid back then!
and i used to thought Shinies as a glitch like things and tried my best to avoid them and when i came into one i used to softreset when ever i found one,and that's the way i losed shiny geodude,tentacool,lapras!!
Damn!?
so foolish of me !

Years
When I was very young playing Blue and Red, I didn't care for Special Attack, Attack or Defense, but just chose cool pokémons with cool moves. Thankfully the game wasn't hard untill I met the Elite Four..

Years
When I was young, me and my entire school always pronounced Suicune 'Soo-ken'.
I still think Swee-coon sounds pretty weird though, and when I first heard it pronounced by swedish Prof. Oak in the 4th movie, I was like 'wat'.

Back