• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hex Editing the Intro of Fire Red

Chevalier

Réveiller
Years
Ah! Finally.

I'm sure there were other tuts beforehand but I was waiting for a recent tut to be made.

Easy to read and helpful, thanks.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Instead of wasting your time translating each individual character into hexadecimal, why not do this:
1. Get an actual table file (not just a .txt document with a hex value next to corresponding character) like this one (credit: thethethethe for the values, me for wasting my time making it in WindHex so y'all don't have to)
2. Load the ROM and the table file in a hex editor
3. Do a text search (not a hex search!) for the text
4. Edit in "Text Edit Mode", or the equivalent in whatever hex editor you're using

With this method, you can just type your text straight up. Of course, you'll still have to insert line breaks and the like yourself but it sure beats your method :\

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
Instead of wasting your time translating each individual character into hexadecimal, why not do this:
1. Get an actual table file (not just a .txt document with a hex value next to corresponding character) like this one (credit: thethethethe for the values, me for wasting my time making it in WindHex so y'all don't have to)
4. Edit in "Text Edit Mode", or the equivalent in whatever hex editor you're using

With this method, you can just type your text straight up. Of course, you'll still have to insert line breaks and the like yourself but it sure beats your method :\

Ohh, thanks colcolstyles! I know my methods aren't the best or the most efficient, but there just the ways I thought up :P. So, everybody looking for another alternative, use colcolstyles method xD

Years
Hmm, I'm sure there is one. I'll do a little google searching and edit this post when I find it.
well, you don't have to search anymore, that table.tbl of Colcostyles is usable for Emerald, i had made the file and then found that there has already been one available hm... :(

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2010

okay well i opened the hex editor i'm using hex workshop and i have the table file what im not getting how to do is the text search when i go to find i make sure to set it to find text strings then i type what im looking for but it only says it doesnt find anything i also didnt understand what u meant by text edit mode

Years
If anyone could help me: I'm having trouble editing my third page. Instead of showing the text I input in hex, it shows the last word of the second to last line and the full last line of the second page.

Does anyone know what's causing this problem?

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
Years
I'm having an annoying issue with hex editing anything. I attempted to edit the intro of FireRed using the original method in the first post. I found the old text, highlighted it all and deleted it, then translated my new text into the hex code on notepad, copied it, and used Paste special, picked CF_TEXT, and checked interpret as hexadecimal string. Everything looked right, so I saved and opened my ROM. I got nothing but a white screen, nothing would load. I backed up my ROM and tried again, same result. Eventually that hack got scrapped because I made a blunder and broke some important stuff, but anyway, I tried editing Birch's intro in Emerald for a new hack. I only changed 2 words, but I used the same method of deleting and pasting. Again, blank white screen. This is incredibly frustrating, am I doing something wrong with my method of hex insertion? I'd really like to know how to fix this. If anyone will help me out here, then thank you.

Edit: After experimentation I'm convinced I'm just doing something wrong here. I tested this again and just replaced a single character, and instead of deleting/pasting, I typed the new hex value over the old one, and everything worked fine. My new issue is, how can I add a character? If the new hex I enter in has the same amount of characters as the old, it runs properly. But if it has more or less, it just breaks my ROM.

Last edited:

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
I'm having an annoying issue with hex editing anything. I attempted to edit the intro of FireRed using the original method in the first post. I found the old text, highlighted it all and deleted it, then translated my new text into the hex code on notepad, copied it, and used Paste special, picked CF_TEXT, and checked interpret as hexadecimal string. Everything looked right, so I saved and opened my ROM. I got nothing but a white screen, nothing would load. I backed up my ROM and tried again, same result. Eventually that hack got scrapped because I made a blunder and broke some important stuff, but anyway, I tried editing Birch's intro in Emerald for a new hack. I only changed 2 words, but I used the same method of deleting and pasting. Again, blank white screen. This is incredibly frustrating, am I doing something wrong with my method of hex insertion? I'd really like to know how to fix this. If anyone will help me out here, then thank you.

Edit: After experimentation I'm convinced I'm just doing something wrong here. I tested this again and just replaced a single character, and instead of deleting/pasting, I typed the new hex value over the old one, and everything worked fine. My new issue is, how can I add a character? If the new hex I enter in has the same amount of characters as the old, it runs properly. But if it has more or less, it just breaks my ROM.

Your new text has too acommodate to the number of bytes that it allows. Let's say one page let's you use ten bytes, using the table file, you can have 10 of any character of command (\n,\l,\p). Your pasting/deleting method destroys your rom :P. You basically write over the previous bytes.

If anyone could help me: I'm having trouble editing my third page. Instead of showing the text I input in hex, it shows the last word of the second to last line and the full last line of the second page.

Does anyone know what's causing this problem?

I'm confused by your description of error, please provide screeny's xD

Last edited:

bilzandpap

Who DOESN'T love Conkeldurr???
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
This is pretty cool.

The table file is hard to browse, you might want to consider maybe organizing it a bit.

eg.

CAPITAL LETTERS:

A=BB B=BC C=BD
D=BE E=BF F=CO

etc....

Glitched Hacker

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen May 7, 2012

colcolstyles, what do you mean by "text edit mode"?
I would like to use this easier method, but I'm using Hex Workshop and I searched high and low for "text edit mode" and can't find it. Can someone please help me on this?

Back