• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] The Unova Pokemon League Conference is Upon Us! Who Will Emerge Victorious?

Which of these trainers will become champion of the Unova league?

• Ash/Satoshi

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Trip/Shooty

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Bianca/Bel

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Stephan/Kenyan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kotetsu

• Virgil

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Iris (she isn't even entering!)

• Somebody Else We've Seen Before (like Montgomery/Masaomi)

• Some New Rising Rival Who'll Return in the Future

• Some Random Dude/Chick We'll Never Hear from Again

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Our Player Character! (Hilbert/Hilda/Nate/Rosa)

• Cheren (so that's what he's been doing this entire time...)

• Nobody- Team Plasma is going to step in and cancel the league, creating a new arc to keep Ash in Uno

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • N (because he's N)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Tobias/Action Replay Abuser

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Spoiler:

Contains Ash and Kotetsu team.

Spoiler:

Contains info on the match.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Ash why do you have seven Pokemon listed there. Especially one: you always have Pikachu and two: you use Pikachu in the match. I'm going to assume they are showing us Pokemon from both his match with Kotetsu as well as his match with Stephan.

That said looking at the images it looks like Ash wins? Which means he'll likely be losing to Vergil. ..... or maybe Ash will actually be able to win a league for once. Guess we'll see that and whether people's predictions are correct and we see a new eeveelution. I'm guessing if we don't see a silhouette or anything during that episode's preview we're not getting one because they would obviously want to hype such a thing.

(On a side note: the three images in the spoiler don't seem to work. But I already saw the images on tumblr so I know what they contain haha.)

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Apparently the pictures were taken down. They depict Pikachu facing Samurott and defeating it as well as Swanna and Ash beating Kotetsu. What I think funny is they show Ash Unzefant as a Male.

As for later on I definitely get the feeling he will lose to Virigil since all the other CoTD seem bland. If he beats Virigil than I could see him winning the whole thing.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Here they are:

Spoiler:

Since Pikachu takes out two Pokemon I really have to wonder about that image. Also because guys, do you not have a female Unfezant image to show?

But yeah, I'll have to agree with that. Virigil is going to be that turning point on whether we see Ash actually possibly win or league or have it just be another loss.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
They only seem to be showing images like that for the battles we don't know the outcome of right when they announce more episodes. That said Bianca loses because she was facing Kotetsu and Stephan obviously loses because he faces Ash before Ash faces Kotetsu. So I don't think there are very many images of Bianca's match with Kotetsu.

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2012
8 people are going to very very dissapointed. coughashbelandtripfans.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Well if Ash does beat Kotetsu as the images suggest,He will then face Vergil most likely. That leaves 1 more person he has to defeat. Maybe there will be another filler episode to introduce the last guy,if Ash defeats Vergil. It really would be nice to see Ash win for once,but remember he got in the top 8 two times in a row before getting in the top 4. They may do that again. I still wonder what the next Arc is going to be. I am almost 100% sure the next generation will not start for another year or so. I know we still have at least 1 more Gen 5 movie that comes out in March.

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
Years
I voted ash, but holy hell....it's hard to get behind a main character, when he keeps losing when it matters.....the dude keeps getting his experience reset in each region and that becomes annoying.

I know Pokemon is a business striving for longevity but HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER, let the dude win a tournament and move onto the champions leagues ALREADY!!...they could make soooo much more money if they let him win the unova league and start a new journey where he travels the regions AGAIN, but this time battling the champions leagues!!.....from kanto to unova....

I SWEAR, if he doesn't win this time, I will drop kick my tv

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
There were a lot of other people in the tournament and Ash faces off against Trip, Stephan and Kotetsu pretty early in it seems. We can't even say Ash will make top 8 this time, Virgil may lose after beating Ash after all.

I'm unfortunately one of the people that believe that if Ash wins, the Anime ends so the writers will purposefully make him lose at some point near the end just to keep the story going. We won't know what place he makes until the tournament ends.

As for what's next, the League ends the Journey for that region. Really can't say they won't end it, but Gen 5 isn't something that's easy to predict. If they reset the Anime like they did the games, then there are many possibilities for Ash on how far he'll make it. Course as a double edged sword he may pull another Kanto. Ash met Ritchie just before entering the League and loses to him right before they start the real battles. Virgil can be this generation's Ritchie.

What I'm pretty much waitin for now is to see if Virgil's Eevee evolves into something new or if someone mentions another region to give Ash a reason to keep going rather than go back to Kanto like Team Rocket did.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I won't be surprised if Ash only makes it to the top eight, top four, etc. However, while it's expected I will still be disappointed because that would mean that Ash didn't win a single tournament in Unova. Which is well ... disappointing. Even more so that he almost won the PWT-JC only to lost against Trip who he then wins against in the prelims of the League.

What I want to know right now is where exactly are they in the league when Ash faces Stephan and Kotetsu. Obviously out of the prelims by how many Pokemon the have, but have they gotten to the last thirty-two? sixteen? I can't see to figure that out. if anyone happens to know though, I would love know. It might give us a little more in-sight in where Ash is after his win against Kotetsu and what's going to happen with the battle against Virgil.

But other than that I'm also waiting to see if Virgil's Eevee is going to evolve and if they are going to give us hints on what's going to happen after the League is done with.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Really I'm expecting Virgil's Eevee to be something of a mimic of Ash's Pikachu in the respect that it probably won't evolve, it's just an unevolved partner that doesn't want to evolve and is just as strong without needing to evolve. I wouldn't even be surprise if the final match came down to Eevee VS Pikachu for that somewhat epic feel of the two weaker Pokémon battling for such an important match, but I think that if it was going to evolve into another eeveelution then there would've been some kind of feature about it like a silhouette or something since they would want as much hype as possible surrounding it.

As for who'll win and how far Ash will get, that's actually a really hard call to make with Unova. Since they wanted to make it so different to the previous sagas, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he actually went on to win this one. But I'm betting on either Ash or Stephan winning; Bianca would be my third choice but I really don't think she's mature enough and fully developed enough as a character to win a league yet. I don't think it would be a problem if Ash was to win though since they can easily still have him go to another region to compete in their league too; if anything it'll just be a joke for them to play on when he's acting like a noob in the first few episodes like he always does; it'd just be refreshing to see him actually win something important in the Unova saga haha. I suppose it's also possible that someone else will win and they'll just stay in Unova till the next Pokémon league takes place to fill the time until a new region comes out, but I really doubt that. Maybe they'll also go for an Orange Islands type of adventure, who knows :o Or if he does win then there could be a conference/tournament for all recent league winners to take part in to find the best of the best and he could enter that, or maybe he'll even face Unova's E4? So many possibilities haha.

To be honest though, I've been expecting the "Team Plasma is going to step in and cancel the league, creating a new arc to keep Ash in Unova a little while longer" to happen from the start based on what happened in-game and Team Plasma's lack of appearance so far in the anime, but who knows, maybe they'll just wait till after the league to introduce them. It just seems really early for the Unova league to be happening already so I don't think it'll really go ahead straight through till the end. (I haven't read many spoilers or stuff yet so if this has already been disproved, sorry!)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Watching the first episode of the tournament. There were 128 pictures shown on the prompt. Ash beats Trip in the first Round so Trip doesn't even get top 100.

Ash beats Stephan in second Round and Kotetsu beats Bianca in the Second round. Bianca and Stephan get in the top 65 as second round as 64 people.

32 people are in the battle with Kotetsu vs Ash. So Ash vs Virgil is top 16. If Ash loses he makes top 16. If he wins he goes onto Top 8. All of his rivals are battled before Ash gets to top 8. So even after Virgil's battle, there are 2 battles after that if they are shown. We know they'll get to Kotetsu's battle without interruption. I can only imagine the entire tournament continues like that.

Though we have placements pretty much.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
If all of the rivals are out by the time they've reached the top 16, I'm betting Ash will probably end up losing against Virgil. They're not realistically going to leave two of the most important fights of the league down to him fighting random trainers we've never seen before so he'll probably either lose to Virgil, lose to the trainer after Virgil (maybe another legendary abuser? I'll be really annoyed if that's the case AGAIN though...), or maybe Team Plasma will interrupt then? I don't know, but I'm suddenly no longer expecting him to win based on that haha. Surprised about how quickly Stephan went out though, I was backing him as one of the potential winners!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I didn't see N in the picture of th 128,but they are fairly small. And like Alex said,they aren't going to put him up aginst some random trainer unless the trainer is like Tobias. Only time that happened was the Orange League,but he had to face it's champion. It is slightly possible for Team Plasma to still come in. But I just don't see it happening anymore.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Oh. Just saw the comment about Eevee Evolution hype. They actually don't have to post a silhouette until the episode of. Right before they reveal the info for that episode or even the episode after as it can become a two parter with Eevee evolving at the end mid battle.

Since we haven't gotten that far yet, they don't have to build up any hype on it. If they do it the episode of, then it has a lot of build up then.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Aside from anything I am reflecting on what Ash actually brings to the table. It definitely seems Unova pokes only is what he is going for(obviously Pikachu aside). As of now his team doesn't seem to viable to be a champ.

Pikachu - Pika is fine, obviously seen by its various defeats its issued thus far in the Tournament as well as all the match cliches its had in the gyms in Unova. His record goes without saying when he is on or the writers aren't screwing our little Electric Mouse over.

Unfezant - Some people say well it doesn't get enough development. My question is when does regions every get "development" they get use. I feel that Unfezant well fair just as well as its predecessor birds.

Oshawott - I've never been overly impressed with Oshawott in the realm of battling. Too me it was just a comic side show as a replacement for TR. It too me is Piplup 2.0 as it sure acts like him, and seeing him with Dawn Piplup it convinces me even more. Yes Oshawott learned Hydro Pump, but that really doesn't change much for me since I still seem him as a coward and too egotistical for his own good. I thought all the past Water types Ash used had more battle prowess than Oshawott imo. It also doesn't help that its a stage one, but Squirtle is pretty drag strong as shown in the Battle Frontier.

Pignite -
It's been inconsistent in the past having confidence issues. But after evolving and confronting Shamus I don't really see that as a concern anymore. The concern I have is, where is the Fighting type move? They need to ditch Tackle and give him Arm Thrust or something usable. Again looking back, Infernape was a much better Fire/Fighting at that point, so another reason I don't feel he is as good as opposed to previous opportunities

Snivy - Snivy has seemed pretty consistent, but it cannot rely on Attract ploy to win like early on. Leaf Storm & Leaf Blade are good moves but I feel we need something more. Again Torterra at this point was a better option as well.

Scraggy - Seems to childlike and has not had enough training imo. Still has some qualties Phanphy did as a baby. Scraggy has made progress it just doesn't seem to me that Scraggy had made enough progress honing its skills since hatching early on.

Leavanny - Obviously not enough screen time or development, but judging from what I have seen from its battles Ash can lean on it to get the job done.

Palpitoad - Even less screen time that all the others, kind of hard to say what Palpitoad will do since he has pretty much just been used in Don Tournaments and Gyms.

Boldore - I feel if they evolved him that as a Gigalith he would be a major asset. So if he evolves in the near future than I believe he can make a difference otherwise we haven't see a whole lost since his capture early on. He had that one defining match against Clay and that was his shining moment. Come on show me more please.

Krookodile - He seems to be Ash Powerhouse, but I need to see more out of him as well since his capture was late. He has had some good matches like Bearartic and Dragonite. Given the chance I think he will shine. Its just will his teammates have enough to support him.

From other standpoints I just don't feel confident that Ash will win. He came into Unova too nooby whereas Hoenn and Sinnoh he had some vetness about him. What also concerns me is if Virgil is Top 4 then he faces some random CoTD. I have the feeling Virgil wins regardless if he showcases a new Eevee or not. And please don't have Eevee beat Pikachu, been there done that with Gary at Oaks Lab.

As for Eevee and a new evo seems kind of hard to evolve it mid battle(especially since its never before seen).

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Well that just brought Team Plasma back into the picture. There is eather a new arc or episode with N in it according to Serebii

And a note saying Best Wishes 2 Episode N.

The preview,shows Oak saying something on TV or something and then it goes black. N starts to walk down steps into the outside light and then it stops.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Linking to the video so people know what you (and I) are talking about:

In which I will have to agree with the majority of what Kenshin said above and this video kind of shows. Especially the part with Leavanny in which it easily dodges a Close Combat (that wouldn't be very effective on the Bug/Grass Pokemon anyways). Also it looks like Pignite might have taken Hydreigon down but lost to Samurott. Or somehow took Samurott down and lost to Hydreigon? The former seems more likely but I'm bad at predicting these kinds of things. Though they didn't show any part of what could be a battle between Virgil and Ash so that is something that still needs to be found out at all.

As for N .... it looks like that the idea of Plasma stopping the league or halting it might actually become reality (which is what I personally wanted but said it was unrealistic ... it kind of became more realistic). That or Ash loses and then we jump to Plasma but then I would think they would have done the preview a bit differently.

As for Eevee the only way Eevee can possibly evolve mid-battle (unless they show us a new way to evolve with it) is if it learns a new move during the battle. Someone speculated gender-related but I'm not quite sure how that could be pulled off.

Back