• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Magnius Guide to Pokemon Music Hacking

drew6464

Spriter and composer
Years
  • US
  • Seen Jan 8, 2023
It says vbalcbex6.ocx is missing for Sappy. I tried downloading that, but it said it can't create an object and vbalcbex6.ocx is outdated.

EDIT: Fixed previous problem by changing the compatibility to XP, but now every time I open a ROM, it crashes. Help?

Last edited:

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
This is a great tutorial, but when I do the silly command promt thing with the vbalCbEx6.ocx- This error message shows up ->

"The module "C:\windows\system32\vbalCbEx6.ocx" was loaded but the call to DIIRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005."

This sounds like the vbalCbEx6.ocx I downloaded wasn't compatible with Vista? If so, may I please ask of you to give me a download link to a version that works with Vista? Or if that's not the case, then please let me know what's wrong! Thank-You!

Sotaku

Pokémon Expert
Years
I've recently read in some posts that you need to put vbalCbEx6.ocx, vbalExpBar6.ocx, and cPopMenu6.ocx, and to register SSubTmr6.dll for Sappy to open, but I still can't figure out why it crashes everytime I open a GBA file.

EDIT: I have Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit OS), and an Intel Pentium Processor in my ASUS Laptop K52F/K62F series with 3 GBs of RAM, I wonder if it has the same problem Vista does?

Last edited:

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
Help please! I'm a begginer at this >.<

I remember magnius saying something about Base Offset. Could someone help me at finding a free base offset for the songs? And how to find them please!!!
Well, if you're only testing, you could "xDDDDDD" for your offset. But if you actually have a project and you're inserting music, you could basically use free space as your Base Offset.

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2016
Sappy crashes when I click the play, stop or volume buttons and when I click "Assemble that ugly thing!". Could someone help me? ;)

sarCAsum0

Moo?
Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2015
I'm pretty sure this question has been asked many times before, but I still get the errors:

Code:
Run-time error '429:'
ActiveX component can't create object
and

Code:
Run-time error '372:'
Failed to load control 'vbalCboEx' from vbalCbEx.ocx. Your version of vbalCbEx6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.
Before you tell me, yes, I have registered vbalCbEx6.ocx, since I had gotten a different error before I did. I've searched everywhere for the newest version, but I already have it, it seems like. If anyone could help me, that'd be great.

(I am also trying to import a midi of Onett from Earthbound, although that would make a difference for this error, would it)

EDIT: Downloaded a new version of Sappy, and it worked. :D

Last edited:

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Sappy crashes everytime I put in a rom. >.<

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2011
normally, it should take some seconds xD

er...now I have a problem too.
With sappy (05?) I was never able to play the music, I was just able to import/export/assemble.
Now I downloaded sappy 06, I was able to play the sounds! (yeah..happy!).
But then I tried assembling a song---> crash!
I thought..okay, maybe it's too long. But then I tried a 2 track-song and it crashed again!
it doesn't matter which song I choose, sappy crashes when assembling.
So I wanted to assemble the song via sappy 05, which always worked before.
You may have guessed: Now it crashes if I try to assemble.

I've read through this thread to look at all the errors and possiblilties for crashin, but..it's not the song.
And I've read about the possibility that my kernel32.dll has crashed?
How can you recognize that, since I see it in my system32 folder but dunno if it's okay.

So..what can I do now?
I'm quite depressed since I finally understood how to loop songs, but now I can't even try it out...

I had that EXACT same problem. I found it was because, like clonex said, the file had become associated with the text editor. To fix this, I managed to find a program that disassociates the file type. So in effect it makes it "forget" what program to open it with. I removed the .s file association all together and that seemed to fix it :D

Alf Stewart

Champion
Years
I have edited some tracks to sound similar and like FireRed and LeafGreen.

As the title says, I have worked on some music to mke it sound like FRLG in an awsome program called AnvilStudios 2011, You can make Pallet Town have accordions instead of what instrument it actually has. I have edited Super Mario Land music, Pokemon Black and White, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga and other songs like I gotta feeling so if this works I'll insert them into my hack titled Pokemon MarioRed (Hack of FireRed). Thanx!

stocko

Toast Engineer
Years
hey guys, I have been getting the problem with all that 'vbalCbEx6.ocx' crap. I have registered the file with my computer but I am still getting errors whilst trying to open sappy. The two errors are:

1. "Run-time error '429'
ActiveX component can't create object"

2.Run-time error '372':
Failed to load control 'vbalCboEx' from vbalCbEx6.ocx. Your version of vbalCbEx6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

I have been searching all over the internet and found nothing :(
Can you please help me?????

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
hey guys, I have been getting the problem with all that 'vbalCbEx6.ocx' crap. I have registered the file with my computer but I am still getting errors whilst trying to open sappy. The two errors are:

1. "Run-time error '429'
ActiveX component can't create object"

2.Run-time error '372':
Failed to load control 'vbalCboEx' from vbalCbEx6.ocx. Your version of vbalCbEx6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

I have been searching all over the internet and found nothing :(
Can you please help me?????

Basically, you'll have to go to the official Sappy site and download from there. That should fix the problem as it will reinstall Sappy and add all the proper installation files. :3

ziprider255

Master of All Time and Space
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2011
Sappy won't work on my PC (Win7 Home Premium). It says that I'm missing the OCX file required to make it run (vbalCbEx6.ocx). I've installed an ocx before, but I can't find a safe website to download vbalCbEx6.ocx. Could you offer a suggestion.

Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2012
Is there a proper way of finding space for music? I've tried free space finder but even when I used that it seemed to overwrite another sound file. If I used 0x800000 on Intro message 1 then 0x800100 on Intro message 2 then Intro message one still ends up breaking.

This is on firered.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
At Pokemon Games:
-5 Direct Sound instrument simultaneously
-1 instrument for each GB channel
I thought it was a maximum of five tracks that use Direct Sound, but with a maximum of 6 Direct Sound notes playing at any given moment.

(You can have more Direct Sound notes than there are tracks -- chords count as multiple notes.)

ipatix

Sound Expert
Years
Because of dynamic allocation of the DirectSound channels it doesn't matter if you use for example 1 DirectSound note on each 5 tracks or 5 DirectSound notes on 1 track. If using more than 5 DirectSound notes simultanously the notes with the lowest priority won't play.
Track 1/0 has the highest prority and the last tracks has the lowest priority.

You can have up to 10 tracks (fanfares only 9), but which notes you use on them is something completly different.

Years
When I try to open up Sappy, I get this error:

Run-time error '339':

Component 'vbalCbEx6.ocx' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is mossing or invalid.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.
Any help?

Back