• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Essentials "To Do" list

Awkward Squirtle

,@,e .ºoO
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2016
I suggest the formula: 0xFFFF-(pickletters(day+month*2)+day+8*(month/10+month%10)+((month-1)*30+year*365)&0xFFFF). Here the pickletters picks the sum of char value of letters of a move name (or other PBS file) where internalnumber=parameter.

This is unnecessarily complicated, and isn't guaranteed to work depending on what you pick letters out of. Why bring in something completely unrelated anyway?

Code:
t = Time.now
hash = t.day + (t.month << 5) + (t.year << 9)
srand(hash) # seed RNG with fixed value depending on date
lottery = rand(65536) # get a number
srand # reseed RNG

Nice simple procedure that does only what is necessary. You're welcome ;)

EDIT: I see it's been solved already. Either solution should be fine.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
Im working on that and 2 other games. Also, because there are only like 10 songs included with pokemon essentials, I used Sappy-mod15 to extract all MIDI songs from emerald and fire red so im going to send that and Netplay 2.0 source files to maruno soon.
I think that these resources things will be better on separate packs rather that in the main kit. This way the developer can put in his game only the ones that he will use. This can make the kit less disorganized and with lower size (but midis at least consumes very low disk space). Maybe an official resource compilation?

redx2dth

Metapods' got class!
Years
I think that these resources things will be better on separate packs rather that in the main kit. This way the developer can put in his game only the ones that he will use. This can make the kit less disorganized and with lower size (but midis at least consumes very low disk space). Maybe an official resource compilation?

That's all up to Maruno. I'm not making any decisions, I'm just taking advice and doing grunt work cuz i love essentials and want to see the project really take off.

For anyone else who wants to develop for essentials please instead of submitting your ideas to Maruno and then leaving him with the work, ask him what you can do to ease his workload.

I remember being one of the few developers when Pokemon Crater (pokemonbattlearena dot net) was originally made and it was hell. If i had more people assisting, rather than making a list of ideas, I would have been able to work better and more efficiently, not to mention the leader left the project for his college life and it was already too much work for a few developers without his absence.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judging by the ever-growing to do list and the lack of developers, maruno could use an extra hand. You don't have to be a developer, or even know Ruby to help, this project uses images and animations as much as it does scripts so spriters are a huge help in this.

Last edited:

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016

i could help to make a resource complitation...
i have almost all graphics (pokemon tilesets, autotiles, overworlds, sprites and many other usefull stuff) and original soundtracks from all pokemon games...
BUT if we do something like this we should stick to official resources!
maybe maruno can make a page on the wiki... :D

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
The first step would be to decide what graphical style Essentials should have. I would prefer FRLG tilesets, since those can be ripped and aren't custom graphics (hence fewer/no permissions required). If so, we'd probably need custom charsets for NPCs that appear in Gen 4/5 games, since I'd like to use the trainer sprites from those.

I don't want Essentials to be overloaded with all kinds of graphics and music. If it just had all the music from one particular game, that'd be fine.

This discussion would be better placed in its own thread.

Code:
t = Time.now
hash = t.day + (t.month << 5) + (t.year << 9)
srand(hash) # seed RNG with fixed value depending on date
lottery = rand(65536) # get a number
srand # reseed RNG
Nice simple procedure that does only what is necessary. You're welcome ;)

EDIT: I see it's been solved already. Either solution should be fine.
That's actually an even better solution, because it doesn't involve inventing an extra array of numbers. I've already implemented it. Thanks!

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
The first step would be to decide what graphical style Essentials should have. I would prefer FRLG tilesets, since those can be ripped and aren't custom graphics (hence fewer/no permissions required). If so, we'd probably need custom charsets for NPCs that appear in Gen 4/5 games, since I'd like to use the trainer sprites from those.
i would advise against the use of FRLG tiles...
the DPP & HGSS tiles are as easy to rip and we dont need to make custom charsets! ;)
imo its even better if we use BW graphics but i am sure you are against it... :P
if you want i can do the ripping part...
just tell me from which game and send me a list with the tiles you need!

I don't want Essentials to be overloaded with all kinds of graphics and music. If it just had all the music from one particular game, that'd be fine.
tell me from which game and i can send all the OST (as mp3) to you if you like... :)

redx2dth

Metapods' got class!
Years

The MIDI's I sent you are all from Emerald. Its just the fact that emerald had a bunch of unnecessary songs from previous gens that were never used. If you want I could remove the songs that aren't used and send u another .zip

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
About the sample maps, I think that you need to give more priority. Most of people can't understand this because they haven't a novice viewpoint but this is very important, it's the first interation with this kit, make a good impression with uncomplicated features browsing, but wide at same time.
Even with you going to remade this examples, I can't believe that you didn't put a Slot Machine/Voltorb Flip sample event.

Maruno's List said:
Lots of sound effects are missing:
o When using a HP-healing item, or EV/PP-manipulating item
o Pokémon storage in general
o Buying an item from a Mart
o Learning a move
o Non-active battlers upon their level up
o Fleeing a battle
o A "ping" sound effect for each ball in the line-up at the start of battle
o Calling a Pokémon out – does this already exist?
o Exp bar in battle while increasing (not just upon level up)
I think that you need to give more priority on this, some are really easy. And move the Flee.wav in BGS to SE folder.

Maruno's List said:
Add swarming Pokémon
o There is a list of swarming Pokémon, and the map/encounter method/levels for each of them
o One swarmer is chosen at random at midnight, but only if a certain switch is ON (typically set upon gaining the National Dex)
o When determining an encounter, there is a 40% chance that it will be with a swarming Pokémon, and 60% chance of a regular encounter
o A registered trainer on that map can call the player to tell them about swarm (needs new messages)
Please make this percentage easy to edit, maybe a setting? I guess that 50% is a better default value.

Maruno's List said:
New Settings:
o Number of storage boxes
You probably know, to do this search for 'maxBoxes='.

i would agree if you had sad that it is not important at the moment...
but minigames make the games varied and lots more fun to play...
and a game making tool (which essentials is) should have alot of different variants! ;)
and just because you can script doesnt mean that everyone can... (dont take it personally pls!)
some are good at scripting some at graphics and some can make amazing stories or make amazing maps...
always think about other users who cant script their own stuff (like minigames) themself...
I agree.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
About the sample maps, I think that you need to give more priority. Most of people can't understand this because they haven't a novice viewpoint but this is very important, it's the first interation with this kit, make a good impression with uncomplicated features browsing, but wide at same time.
Even with you going to remade this examples, I can't believe that you didn't put a Slot Machine/Voltorb Flip sample event.
I don't use Essentials; I only make it. I'm not the one best qualified to decide what the example maps need to include and where. I've mentioned before there's another thread for everyone to help come up with better designs, and so far the number of new designs is: smeg all.

A large part of the map redesigns is the need for better tilesets. I've been working on FRLG ones on and off (usually off), but they're not done yet.

Please make this percentage easy to edit, maybe a setting? I guess that 50% is a better default value.
I never said I was even going to add that feature. I just wrote it down. The same applies for many of the things in the "Whim" category.

If swarmers were going to be added, then of course the percentage would be easy to change. And for the record, the official games use 40%.

Back