• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Transparent Textboxes [FR]

Kenny1

On a break from Rom hacking, to improve other skil
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
WARNING: I highly recommend you not use this tutorial. I recently learned that the hex I posted doesn't seem to work anymore.
The only part that works is the patch, which I also don't recommend using as it isn't the most up to date one. I don't hack anymore, and I have no idea how to fix it at this point.

Hello! Today I am going to show you how to insert transparent textboxes for Pokemon fire red.

What you'll need:
-Lunar IPS,
-XSE,
-Pokemon Fire Red Rom,
-Advance Map
-The patch included at the end of this tutorial,
-VBA (To test if it works)
-Ape(optional)
-Hex Editor (only if you have started hacking already.)

Let us begin:

Step #1
Spoiler:

Step #2
Spoiler:

Step #3
Spoiler:

Step #4
Spoiler:

Step #5 (Extra)
Spoiler:

Step #6 Test it.
Spoiler:

D1zF2KB.png

Hope you guys can figure this out! :D
Patch:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0py276pbgw6a0bn/Pok%C3%A9mon+Fire+Red+Transparent+Textboxes.ips
Dont use this, its outdated.

Credits:
Ep!c-For the routine.
Me for following the tut and releasing this patch.

Here's the original tut:
www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=312702

Edit: I made a video tut:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1j0xys_pokemon-fire-red-transparent-textboxes_videogames

For those who have already started hacking:

hex values:
Spoiler:

i THINK those are the hex values,
i quote:
"callasm 0x750021 (Or the offset where you inserted it + 21)"

Last edited:

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
WOOOOWWW I will use this for sure!:)
One question if you open NSE and edit the text box could you make the transparent textbox into a different style? Like just edit the edges and stuff?

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
WOOOOWWW I will use this for sure!:)
One question if you open NSE and edit the text box could you make the transparent textbox into a different style? Like just edit the edges and stuff?

I don't know, sorry, guess you could try...?

It kinda gives me a awfully looking color when I use showpokepic command with it.
I think its loading the textboxes palette to the picture, i dont know how to fix this, ill take a look at it, but I cant guarantee I will be able to fix it.

Would andres tool to make 2 pokepics appear work? thus replacing no need for ASM to show mugshots XD?

Sorry don't know either, it'll probably work, not sure.

EDIT: I did some research, with the help of Gal, yes editing the textbox in Nse wil modify what it looks like

Last edited:

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
In this script, where should we place the "callasm" things?
Code:
'---------------
#org 0x168C09
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x258
if 0x1 goto 0x8168C4A
checkgender
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if 0x1 call 0x8168C38
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 call 0x8168C41
closeonkeypress
applymovement 0x1 0x81A75E5
waitmovement 0x0
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x168C4A
msgbox 0x818D3D1 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"Mom: [player]!\nYou should take a ..."
closeonkeypress
call 0x81A6C26
msgbox 0x818D3F8 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"Mom: Oh, good! You and your\nPokém..."
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x168C38
msgbox 0x818D2F0 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"Mom: [.]Right.\nAll boys leave hom..."
return

'---------------
#org 0x168C41
msgbox 0x818D360 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"Mom: [.]Right.\nAll girls dream of..."
return

'---------------
#org 0x1A6C26
fadescreen 0x1
fanfare 0x100
waitfanfare
special 0x0
fadescreen 0x0
return

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x18D3D1
= Mom: [player]!\nYou should take a quick rest.

#org 0x18D3F8
= Mom: Oh, good! You and your\nPokémon are looking great.\lTake care now!

#org 0x18D2F0
= Mom: [.]Right.\nAll boys leave home someday.\lIt said so on TV.\pOh, yes. Prof. Oak, next door, was\nlooking for you.

#org 0x18D360
= Mom: [.]Right.\nAll girls dream of traveling.\lIt said so on TV.\pOh, yes. Prof. Oak, next door, was\nlooking for you.

'-----------
' Movements
'-----------
#org 0x1A75E5
#raw 0x5A 'mov5A
#raw 0xFE 'End of Movements

It is your moms script btw.

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
You would put it before and after the msgbox command, ill explain:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
WOW. I love this, shame my hack is so far in progress or Id have liked to use this =( thanks for sharing tho!

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
@avara, you can still use this you just need a hex editor.

Btw just to let you guys know, to use show pokepic with it as well as a yes no box, you would need a different routine, Ep!c did post one in his thread, I'll post the hex bytes soon, for those who have already started with their hack.

Sorry about double post, on mobile and my mobile doesn't want me to edit posts for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I am not sure if anyone's asked this, but do we have to do this to every single script, or do we only have to do it once?

I'd like to know this too =) Also I notice you use a different callasm number after the msgbox as well as before; if we insert the hex bytes into an already-started hack, how do we get the second number, or is it just the number where the code ends?

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
I am not sure if anyone's asked this, but do we have to do this to every single script, or do we only have to do it once?
Yes you have to do it with every msgbox you want to be transparent.

I'd like to know this too =) Also I notice you use a different callasm number after the msgbox as well as before; if we insert the hex bytes into an already-started hack, how do we get the second number, or is it just the number where the code ends?

i forgot, when you insert it with the hex bytes, the first one is the offset where you inserted it +21
the second is +139

So if you inserted it at 900000, the first offset is 900021, and the second one is 900139

for more info:
Ep!c's post

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2016
Yes you have to do it with every msgbox you want to be transparent.

It could be done only once. But you need to know and replace palette colors, which are stored in ROM, not in RAM. ( It will be applied to every msgbox in the game. )

I think the palette table for fonts (maybe it is also for gumps) is stored at 08471DEC, so you can try to overwrite it.

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
It IS possible to never have to call it, but that involves more asm, that is why Ep!c made his tut, for people who dont know asm, i made the patch and the tut, and did some research.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years

It won't be buggy, as Kenny1 said, you only need to go to a safe free space that your rom haven't taken over yet. But as much as possible, you better find out first if it this thing would cause a lot of bug in your game. Either way, yes, this tutorial is very helpful.

To Kenny1: Still don't know the solution to the bug on the showpokepic :(

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
It won't be buggy, as Kenny1 said, you only need to go to a safe free space that your rom haven't taken over yet. But as much as possible, you better find out first if it this thing would cause a lot of bug in your game. Either way, yes, this tutorial is very helpful.

To Kenny1: Still don't know the solution to the bug on the showpokepic :(

You should try the new code I posted, Ep!c made it to fix that problem.

See here

Ayonn-

The Unbelivable
Years
Hello! Today I am going to show you how to insert transparent textboxes for Pokemon fire red.

What you'll need:
-Lunar IPS,
-XSE,
-Pokemon Fire Red Rom,
-Advance Map
-The patch included at the end of this tutorial,
-VBA (To test if it works)
-Ape(optional)
-Hex Editor (only if you have started hacking already.)

Let us begin:

Step #1
Spoiler:

Step #2
Spoiler:

Step #3
Spoiler:

Step #4
Spoiler:

Step #5 (Extra)
Spoiler:

Step #6 Test it.
Spoiler:

D1zF2KB.png

Hope you guys can figure this out! :D
Patch:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0py276pbgw6a0bn/Pok%C3%A9mon+Fire+Red+Transparent+Textboxes.ips

Credits:
Ep!c-For the routine.
Me for following the tut and releasing this patch.

Here's the original tut:
www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=312702

Edit: I made a video tut:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1j0xys_pokemon-fire-red-transparent-textboxes_videogames

For those who have already started hacking:

hex values:
Spoiler:

i THINK those are the hex values,
i quote:
"callasm 0x750021 (Or the offset where you inserted it + 21)"

What happens when we don't call the deactivation asm ? is this working on every script ?

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
What happens when we don't call the deactivation asm ? is this working on every script ?
TBH i haven't hacked in a while, but i think it probably would, but could cause some unwanted side effects, so I'd recommend deactivating it anyways. If you wanted it to activate all the time you could possibly(again, haven't hacked in a while.) edit the script used for displaying message boxes to make it permanent.

Ayonn-

The Unbelivable
Years
TBH i haven't hacked in a while, but i think it probably would, but could cause some unwanted side effects, so I'd recommend deactivating it anyways. If you wanted it to activate all the time you could possibly(again, haven't hacked in a while.) edit the script used for displaying message boxes to make it permanent.

okay thanks for the answer :)

Back