• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Pokemon Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
CalisGen.png

Pokemon Protectors

I need to update this first post more. Remember to read the latest pages for info.
Introduction
I'm Neo-Dragon. I've been running Calis Projects for awhile now. Officially have had my hosting and domain name since 2006.
Protectors has been in the works since Nov. 2006. A quick search on youtube will show you the concept video I done around that time.
The game still had firered graphics back then- and a "wild" Charizard. People complained, but those who did, must not understand what a "concept" is lol.
Then the game got a revamp. Kyledoves graphics were added in. Now after getting a patch for RM2k3 to allow mouse control, I've began a new revamp.
This revamp has been in the works since October- when I got the patch. Because of certain conditions of using the patch, I was forced to begin a new project in Rm2k3. I tried importing as much as I could from the current build of Protectors at the time. Resources were easy to import- maps were a bit harder, but code wise- it was really hard to copy and paste the code into the new project. Mainly because of the variables needed to run the mouse patch (it also allows full keyboard support)- these variables were used for menus in the old build. So I had to revamp code. All this time, I was just about a month(?) in college doing Game development. I wanted to apply what this newbie was learning lol.
So I spent all of November doing Pre production work. I think I'm on 4 A4 pages in notepad now lol. All this time, trying to code the foundation for the ideas I had.
Now- in the first week of December, I'm pretty much ready to begin showing off the development of Pokemon Protectors again.
Enjoy.

Being made with: RPG MAKER 2003

Game Location

The game doesn't take place in a full "Region" but rather a "State" or "County." This State is called The Caladan State. The Caladan State is part of the Altar Region as a whole. The plan is to have more States added after release of the game, which will then make up a the full region (there are four states in total in Altar.)
This State is broken up into smaller areas called "Districts." Each District is has a theme. For example. There is the Urban District. The main activity center of the Caladan State. The Trainers District, an area for all the trainer's of the State to live in and focus their time at.
There are also smaller areas worth noting in Caladan, such as the farm, which is located on the coast.
Also note that this Region is my own creation in my own "universe" with it's own lore. So stories on legends will be different to official games as well as no official regions appearing in Protectors.

Okay, so let me explain that map. That is a "zoomed" in version of the Caladan State.
The main red square in the centre is the Urban District. This is the main place of activity for the state.
The red rectangle up in the top left is the Trainers' District of Caladan. This map so far is the only map nearly completed- It is 148 tiles by 120 tiles.
The Blue markers are Sub-Urban Districts.
The purple markers are farming locations.
And the yellow Maker is the Pokemon theme park.

You will also notice the regions routes have more branching paths. This is to make it feel more like a State, then a full region with just up or down paths- or left and right.

Storyline:
*note: this is wrote in a kind of rough state, but is bang on to the storyline in game lol. *

The game kicks off with a bang.
The hero is at a speech being held by Mark Hogan, the CEO of the Pokemon Protectors, in the City Square in the Urban District. The hero is only young (8 years old) and is with his father.
The speech by Hogan is about the branching of the Protectors to form a sub organisation- the Pokemon Rangers, who will handle all the Pokemon related issues (and allow the Protectors to focus on enforcing the law in general).
Suddenly, mid way through the speech, a few members from the cult like Team Arceusian blow up a Protectors owned building right behind Hogan.
Everyone flees.
It is then announced on the TV that a new system is being put in place by the Protectors to help stop terrorist acts. This system is where everyone must declare their role in society (their jobs mainly) to the Protectors and carry a special passport with them at all times holding information on them. Nobody is allowed to pass between States without the passport. Only adults are given the stamp on their passport to pass after clearing a test, while anyone under 18 is not allowed leave the State without an adult (with said stamp on their passport).
Once the background story is finished, the next scene is the hero in school at the age of 16. There will be a few tutorial style stuff to introduce players into the features of the game.
The game is then in the hands of the player. The player is given the freedom to grow up in this persistent world. A world where everyone has a role or job to fill.
The player is tasked with getting a job themselves.
Become a famous Pokemon Trainer and earn money from battles?
Become a Ranger and earn money for doing quests?
The choice is yours.

Features:
Other then the obvious (such as menus, and common stuff)
The Conscious Choice System- allows the player to make choices and have different outcomes depending on the choice made.
Alignment System- Who do you wish to align yourself with? Maybe work for the Pokemon Rangers but do quests for Team Arceusian. With the aid of the Conscious Choice feature, the player will be able to align themselves with a gang or company and make choices in that gang or company which will effect the gameplay.
Reputation System- The name says it all. With the aid of the Conscious Choice system- different actions will effect how the NPCs in the game react to you.
Job Specific Systems(see below for classes and jobs): Each job will have custom systems to suit that job. Being a Ranger will have the player able to use the Ranger Capture system. Becoming a trainer will enable standard (official game style)battles.
PokeCyber: Acting as a device as important as a computer in the real world, this device will come with various Operating Systems(OS's) which will determine it's features. Become a Trainer and the PokeCyber will be able to store your caught Pokemon for you, allowing you to switch between storage pokemon and Team pokemon anywhere on the map.
A living world. Since everyone in the region (not just Caladan) has to announce who they are to the Protectors, and their role, every NPC in the game will live it's life. An example would be a Mart worker who lives near his shop, would get up at a certain time (is time a feature still? I count it as common stuff lol) actually go to the shop and open it. Work there until night time, close the shop and head home.
Also every NPC will have a name, which will be visible when talking to them, and will make it easy for the player to track them in the game and see how they live their life.

Class and Job system:
There will be 3 Classes in Protectors.
The Trainer Class.
The Ranger Class.
The Civil Service Class.
So far, the trainer class has been revealed.
See this post for details:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4221305&postcount=600

Screenshots
CaladanState.png

Trainers_menu_and_bag.png

Old screenshots of the menu and bag- will be changed in a big way soon!

BattleShot_1_g1.PNG

Latest look to the battle system menu above
PKMN_switchingNEW1_testTEAM.png

PKMN_switchingNEW2_testTEAM.png

This is a test team, with test stats- what you see is functional in game, but stats have been added and randomised for debugging purposes
Battle_bag_newlook.png

The Bag/Item system in battle
save_in_battle.png

The ability to save in the middle of battles! Just press shift to bring up this menu.
Trainerdistrict1.png

All screenshots were taken from gameplay as the Trainer Class. The overworld screenshots were taken in the Trainers' District of the Caladan State (which it that red rectangle up north/west of the map). The menu, bag, and battle system are systems exclusive to the Trainer Class.
All screenshots are from an early development stage. They are subject to change but each screen represents final vision of the game.
Please note, all screenshots shown here with overworld gameplay are all old. The tiles have changed. If you work is here and you are not credited, it's because the tiles have changed. Sorry for any confusion.
New screenshots will be added when they are posted.

For more info. Please read the Trainer Class post.

So there you have it. I would love to read your comments.
I'll be revealing more of the Trainers' standard features- including the new battle system with it's new concepts.
Other Jobs- such as being a Ranger (and un-announced jobs) and their custom systems will be revealed at a later date.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Credits: (As of current)
The Calis Projects team:
Neo-Dragon
00Vampire
Riceeman
NikNaks
FMP
Atomic Reactor
Martyr
Pyro
Darkpegasus

Featuring additional graphics by Kyledove, Alistar.
<If you see your tiles in this game, please let me know and I'll amend this list :)>

And everyone who has left feedback!

*Also, have a look over the pages for alot more detailed description of features and even more screenshots! *

PropertyofCalis.png

User Bars/Banners:

CalisSupport.png

Show your support! Stick this in your sig.
Leave a comment and come over to the official Calis Projects forum.

Last edited:
Years
Finally a game where you can join a team. But is there only evil teams or there will be good teams to join? Anyway i really like the battle system. Good luck with the game and hope you finish it.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I for to mention some things in the first post.
I have now edited them in.

Credits and what the game is being made with have been added in.

@abed: There are six teams in the game. 3 good and 3 evil.
The good teams are:
The Pokemon Rangers
The Pokemon Protectors
And the PNX (Pokemon New-age Xtremests)

The 3 evil teams are:
Team Rocket
Team Aqua
Team Magma.

Each good and bad team will have their on values and takes on the pokemon and the pokemon world.

I'll have a post in the future with more detail on this.

RMXPUser462

Just call me Ryan
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012
I'm guessing only 1 team, so either a good team, or an evil team ;)

Neo-Dragon, that battle system is sexxayy :P along with everything else, glad to see some new features in your game too :D

RM2K3kid

Insane..
Years
Its sucks that the other projects are discontinued but I do wish you the best of luck with this one. I like your battle system, using DP sprites I see.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
Yeah, it's a shame about your other projects being discontinued. But you've taken the right attitude in using the new skills you've gained to start developing a new, better game.

The screens look cool, the battle system style is nice. I noticed that the Pokemon names aren't there, are they to be added later on?

I still don't really like the colours on that text box though..XD

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I had a bit of time to work on the game today, but nothing worth telling about just yet. I'm mainly focusing on putting together the region and code in the foundation for the battle system

I have a video that I posted on youtube a few days ago.
It's my "Proof of concept" vid.
It's just to show the coding is done for the menu and the basics for the battle system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VACIK_ixZGc

*please note, that some graphics are missing in the battle system (like the hero throwing the pokeball at the start of the battle) and bulbasaur appears from the middle of the screen. These have been fixed/corrected. *

spike6958

TCG Collector
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 30, 2021
wow man that video is incredible, the battle system is amazing much better than the offical one's good luck with this

RMXPUser462

Just call me Ryan
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012
The video is phenominal (sp??)!! beautiful work, yet again, the battle system looks great!! :D

Nova92

NovaShark Unlimited Webmaster
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 15, 2008
very great game. Can't wait

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I've got a quick update for you all on the development of the game.
As most of you may have seen in the video I posted earlier, alot of the ground work for th systems are in place. So I decided to start laying out the basic mapping. When I say mapping, I'm putting all the town/routes in and linking them together. The game will be like my previous games, no load times, or fades between outside maps. The outside maps will be like the normal pokemon games - as if it is all one big map.
I am also adding in place names to the maps, for example:
route101xp7.png

I've also made some slight changes to the message system. The message box backgound will be 30% transparent- and the boarder is not transparent
EG:
transparentmessageboxshtc1.png

It is a small touch, but adds to the feel of the game, since most message boxs or menus in Pokemon Protectors are around 30-50% transparent.

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2008
wow so coool

this game is awsome i love the graphics please carry on making this it annoys me the amount of people who dont complete there games

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I am doing alot of work on the game this week and I'm looking for members to submit various forms of custom resources.

What I mean by custom resources:
Custom trainer sprites (both "overworld" and "in battle" )
Custom tilesets and buildings
Custom Music or soundeffects.
Custom pokemon (sprite and "artwork" ).

I am also looking for someone who can do fan art for the game- but this can come at any stage.

Any custom resources that are accepted into the game will get you to be part of the games beta when it is out.
If you do not wish to post your resources, please send me a PM instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back