• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
For those of you who may or may not know, one of our regulars lives in Chile.

I just got an email from Solovino,

Wanted to write a longer mail, but the service won't let me. Just wanted you to know I'm alive. If anyone asks about me at the FFL you can tell them I'm alive and OK, but internetless for a while (I'm writing from collegue).

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Wait wasn't there an earthquake in Chile. Then again, I heard it wasn't that serious since it was off the coast or something...

Nevertheless, tell Sol I said hi if you get the chance. :D

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Yes, there was an earthquake in Chile. A lot of people in Hawaii had to evacuate for fear of a massive tsunami, but it ended up being two feet tall or something... |3

Last edited:

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
*slaps Lounge*

We're going quiet again! This cannot due; where else can I get morning amusement before I go to school? Quick, everyone throw in a bold topic! Let's get this thing up and running again.

Here's something I've been curious about:

What do you think about ratings on fics?

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013

Ratings as in ratings for mature content? Well, I don't really care about them much either way; if the forum in question insists on having one, I'll put one up, but if not I don't really like those rating systems and I'm actually no good with them anyway.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
Sorry, I should have been less vague. I meant the little star rating you can give a fic (or thread). Do you give ratings to fics, do you judge a fic based on the little stars on the side?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Sorry, I should have been less vague. I meant the little star rating you can give a fic (or thread). Do you give ratings to fics, do you judge a fic based on the little stars on the side?
God no. I don't trust those ratings. You have new kids that no one knows rating their threads with five stars because they think that would make their thread look good. You have authors whose fics don't get rated because they really don't care and neither do their readers. And then you have people who use the thread rating system as some sort of ~revenge~ where they mono-star every thread created by particular authors.

So, personally, I really don't care what a thread's star rating is. I'll look into a thread and read it based on my own personal thoughts about the story. I very rarely trust other people's recommendations, and the thread ratings are included in that.

I have no idea why I'm so bitter-sounding about this.

Bay

Years
God no. I don't trust those ratings. You have new kids that no one knows rating their threads with five stars because they think that would make their thread look good. You have authors whose fics don't get rated because they really don't care and neither do their readers. And then you have people who use the thread rating system as some sort of ~revenge~ where they mono-star every thread created by particular authors.

So, personally, I really don't care what a thread's star rating is. I'll look into a thread and read it based on my own personal thoughts about the story. I very rarely trust other people's recommendations, and the thread ratings are included in that.

I have no idea why I'm so bitter-sounding about this.
Nah, don't worry about being bitter about this. Heck, I would be bitter about this too. The rating system can be abused besides mono stars, like someone telling another friend to put a five star in a thread. Also, you have those people that thought the stars determine if their fic is good or not, when in fact it's not the case.

...yeah, ranting with you. XD

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Stars don't determine what fanfics are good or not, they just determine what people think of them.

Little kids loving other little kids horrible fanfiction will give them 5 stars when it's definitely not worth as much as a fic.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Any sort of review for anything needs to be taken with a grain of salt because of differences of opinion and so forth, but the star rating is even less accurate of an indicator of how good or bad a fic (or anything else) is, if for the simple reason that unlike a review, it takes almost no time and effort - just a click of the mouse.

Stars look pretty. That's it.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I tend to barely notice star ratings. Like, literally, I just gloss over them like they're not even there. I don't tend to rate my own threads (not any more, XD)

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
There was once an incident in which I noticed a thread (it was a fic, too) on another board had gotten five stars from someone. Hovering my mouse over the stars, I found out that the rating was, in fact, from me. Apparently, I'd clicked on the rating thing by accident during one of the infamous freezings of my Vista. xD So, yeah, star ratings are quite possibly the most unreliable way of telling how good something is or isn't.

Not that I trusted them - or used them - before this incident, mind.

Also, hi. I am back, sort of. How is everyone?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
*gomps Anni because that is what must happen when people reappear again in the FFL*

Oh, and yeah, fic star ratings are pretty bad - and PC isn't the only place with people abusing it as well. XD I know someone one-starred my fic as well once, why I have no idea... As for giving them out I rarely bother, if I ever did to start with. =P

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I've had some people five-star my stories in the hopes that it will attract people, and I really don't mind other people rating my thread. Though I will likely never notice; like others have said, they're just not a very accurate indicator of just what a story is like. And plus, I don't want to bother with moving my eyes all the way across the screen to look at them. |D

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Honestly, I used to care, but now I couldn't be bothered really. In fact, the only reason that I think the stars shouldn't be abolished ar the fact that I'm Obsessive Compulsive and I like to fill in every little gap in logic or something that needs gap filling.

Little kids loving other little kids horrible fanfiction will give them 5 stars when it's definitely not worth as much as a fic.
That reminds me of your mom. Of course, I don't actually mean your mom per-say, but I mean mostly everyone's parents in general. No matter how horrible your fic is, they'll sugar-coat it and tell you that you're doing a good job in an attempt to either a)spare you the horrible truth, b)encourage your writing skills to develop, or c)both.

Most of the times, people think that it's ok to make mistakes. However, what they don't realise is that if you keep making mistakes, you're bound to repeat the same mistakes over-and-over again. And you'll get used to making these mistakes that you think are right and it'll be hard to revert to the rigth way once you've been doing that one for so long.

That's my two-cents anyway.

Stars look pretty. That's it.
Shiny aren't they. :3

Also, hi. I am back, sort of. How is everyone?
I was going to tell everyone how I was, but you gave me a viable excuse to post my condition. xD

Well, I've been busy lately which makes me unable to really do anything serious in PC(i.e. the FFOTY thingy and reviewing.). For one thing, I have a paper to finish, a language to learn, the Collatz Conjecture to tinker with in Excel, three books to read, five other fics to read, and the answer to life to be pondering. In case you're wondering, all the above are real...

That said, I've finished The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, all five of them. I don't like the ending, but Douglas Adams passed on and as much as I trust Eoin Colfer to do a good job, it's just not the same. ;_;

Oh, and yeah, fic star ratings are pretty bad - and PC isn't the only place with people abusing it as well. XD I know someone one-starred my fic as well once, why I have no idea... As for giving them out I rarely bother, if I ever did to start with. =P
Unless you know, they really had terrible taste and couldn't recognize quality writing, really didn't like the plot, or was being a troll...

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
That reminds me of your mom. Of course, I don't actually mean your mom per-say, but I mean mostly everyone's parents in general. No matter how horrible your fic is, they'll sugar-coat it and tell you that you're doing a good job in an attempt to either a)spare you the horrible truth, b)encourage your writing skills to develop, or c)both.

...there are parents like that?

o_o

Craaazy. My mum should go talk with one of them. It'd be a great. She's way too blunt. and the worst part is it's hereditary

Anyway, I feel bored. Having to write an essay on the theme of 'lost' in Cinderella Man doesn't make it any better. The only thing I feel like doing is watching the comeback scenes in said movie, which isn't really useful in proving my thesis.

D=

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
...there are parents like that?
Yeah, there are. My biological mother is like that, where no matter what it was that I wrote in my younger self-insert Sue-character bad-grammar days, it was the best thing ever!

Some parents just don't want to be truthful to their children, or they just really don't know how to be blunt when it comes to some things. My biological mother? No clue about anything to do with writing, so it's not like she could actually give good advice.

It's only when people who should know better (like teachers and grammar, we all should hope) don't say anything that there's problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back