• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That time of Age

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
video_game_elderly_xlarge.jpeg

I've heard different opinions of this before, but, when do you think someone will be considered to be "too old for video games"? Or, do you think that it doesn't matter, and that it solely depends on their own lifestyle?

What other opinions would you like to share?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I dunno. We live in a day an age where the young generation grew up with something things that will probably exist through our elderly years, and because of this, I don't think that games will be restricted to younger players when we're older. It would be part of us and our tastes would be tuned to what video games are then. There is no equivalent nowadays with current older people of the technological entertainment we have today, especially in the case of video games.

But, as far as the modern generations are concerned...I'm still not sure. I don't really think there's an age where one should be considered "too old for video games" because I believe that games are both ageless and timeless. At the same time, however, I would definitely double-take an elderly woman playing a 3/DS or a Console/PC game.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I think video games will be the typical pastime of elderly persons by the time we are such ourselves. One can never be too old to have fun, but with some genres like multiplayer FPS, one probably can be too old to get far with it, for the same sort of reasons the elderly don't tend to drive anymore: poor reactions, poor eyesight, etc.

Last edited:

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
Video games are no different from movies, books, TV, etc. They're just an entertainment medium - with no age limit. You don't hear people saying "You should stop watching TV, you're getting too old," so why should video games be different?

The only reason people think that way are because video games are still a relatively new entertainment medium. As time goes on and the people that have grown up with them get older, that mindset will begin to die off.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
No one can be too young or too old for video games. Period.

However, there are some games that you can be too young for; I don't think children should be playing Battlefield, but there's certainly no ceiling for video games. You can be 90 years old and still enjoy video games, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Years
I never think that you're too old to play video games, and with some studies saying that video games help stimulate the minds of older players, it could actually be healthy to play them. Now, I don't think that retirement homes should start having Call of Duty parties, but simple things like Wii Sports (as seen in the picture at the top) can keep seniors both active and happy, so if they're having fun, why should there be a limit on how old you have to be?

In fact, there are a few older people in my family that are in their late 60's/early 70's that really enjoy puzzle games and things like that on the computer. I don't think they would ever get into console gaming, but it wouldn't surprise me if our generation are still playing some of the newer things well into retirement.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Your never to old for videogames... Well, overall. At some ages it's proably best to let some genres of games go.

If your 80 or so years old, it's probably best that you stay away from the horror games. Games that would strain your body out more then it can, safely, handle.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I don't think anyone can seriously be too old for video games at all. Hell, I think I'd be one of these guys come 2057.

ra6Og.jpg

Back