• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What if B/W wasn't set in Unova?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'll be making a few threads about these possibly, btw! Would your opinion be the same about the games if it was in one of the past regions and it was set many years later. As a result, all the older characters were replaced with Unova characters. The gyms and gym leaders would still be the same although their design would likely be a little different. The Unova Pokemon would still be the same but they'd be spread around different places in the region.

- Do you think GF could've pulled it off as successfully if it was set in another region?
- Which region do you think it'd best fit in (of the past regions)?
- Which region would you prefer it to be based on?
- What other changes would be there if it was set in another region, how would gameplay/story/etc pan out?

Discuss! Also, please don't copy my questions and answer in a list, because then I will cry. And you don't want me to cry. The questions there are just to stimulate your thoughts!!

Pinta77

The game would have failed if it was in a region we've already been in. (In my opinion) I'm tired of visiting the same regions again. Black 2/white 2 was ok because it switched up the order you went through everything, but I couldn't play through Kanto or Johto or Hoenn again.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
We've been in Kanto four times (RBGY, then GSC, then FRLG, and finally HGSS), Johto twice, and Sinnoh we were in for several years already, which also goes for Johto in this case. That said the only region that would even remotely be a good idea is RSE but for that you might as well just make remakes.

Sure, maybe if it was a sequel type deal like with B/W2 but it wouldn't make too much sense for those who haven't play RSE if they made it in Hoenn, the Johto sames are technically already sequels of the Kanto games. As for Sinnoh we had Platinum, then had a break from Sinnoh in order to play HGSS. Honestly, I wouldn't like to go back to Sinnoh after playing HGSS.

maybe I'm over or under thinking this, but I can't think of a way for them to put it in a past region and have it be a good sell, which is what making new games is all about. And if they were in a past region, I don't think they would have made new Pokemon, which is a big sell point really.

zephyr6257

Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)
Years
Hm. Not really that bad of an idea.

Remotely, in my totally weird mind, I thought GF named B/W, well, B/W because of the storyline having strong concepts on good and evil.

So if they do a respin on an already visited region with Unova Pokémon, it could be done, but it will have to be targeted to an older audience. It would be like making people play Pokémon R/B/Y, but this time retargeted for older people, or for longtime fans of Pokémon who grew up with that region, and now is experiencing the continuation.

On the other hand, I enjoyed B/W mainly because it felt like playing Pokémon Blue all over again, with new Pokés, new characters and the sort. It put a novelty in all its nostalgic glory.

If they DID however do what you just implied, it wouldn't really be the same, it would be okay, but it's quite risky.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Hmm, I really wanna see a Hoenn remake. I'd imagine it being a RSE remake with twist & more cool stuff, maybe they'd incorporate Team Plasma with either team Magma/Aqua, that would be freakin' awesome!

They could merge some of BW's storyline with Hoenn's past storyline & blah, blah, blah......

If BW/B2W2 was such a big success, I don't see why it won't become a hit too. If this was real, oh boy, this would be my fav Pokemon game evar!

Years
I mostly agree with Pinta77, B/W wouldn't have been as successful if it took place outside of Unova.

Unova being based on New York, and having diversity in Pokemon designs was what set it apart from other games and if Black and White took place somewhere else it wouldn't be as fun cos some regions have appeared in too many games (*cough* Kanto *cough*) and with every new generation they need to show off a new region.

It's series tradition - New generation + New region + New Pokemon = Money.

The new stuff needs to be showcased cos it helps Game Freak make money. And I wouldn't usually like playing through a previous region again.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Johto and Kanto were sequals to one another because of Team Rocket and Red being able to be played. Hoenn would not make sense to make a squal to. Neather would Sinnoh,because Hoenn and Sinnoh's storyline both ended and the evil team was disbanned completely because the leaders seen ther error in their ways. However,if they brough Team Rocket back and into Sinnoh and Hoenn. I can see sequals,but it would be too like Johto and Kanto. However I would love to see another game follow Yellow and go to all the regions. Just not sure how it would work sense Ash was based off Red,and well.....Red is a heck of a lot better.

IN the sense of B/W being a fail if it wasn't in Unova,I disagree somewhat. Because regardless they will make money because it is new. However,Liberty Garden/Island,Victini,Braviary,and a few other pokemon wouldn't have matched. I really hope however the next generation will be based in USA again.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
idk I think there could've been a chance of it being sucessful if it was in... a completely remodelled region. Unova already looks somewhat like Hoenn in places, so if you did remodel Hoenn, and it wasn't a Hoenn remake, but rather B/W, then following on from that you'd have B2W2 set IN Unova, getting big following, not explaining why everyone moved to Unova much until the end when you find out the stuff happening in Hoenn regarding... Kyogre and stuff. If B/W was exactly the same but set in an updated Hoenn I think they probably could've pulled it off, if they did like a three-game storyline somewhat, like I just mentioned. It would've also allowed them to enhance further games, and Hoenn could've been expanded much more, with everything playing out almost exactly the same.

SilverAbsol

Absol's Shadow
Years
Black and White, in my opinion, could never have worked as well as it did within another region. I believe this because Unova was an experimentation ground for Gamefreak, with their first attempt in my opinion to really create an impacting storyline within the main Pokemon games.

Years
  • Seen Oct 11, 2013
I think it would have been awesome to go back to Hoenn cause i thought that was the best game so far, and B&W were a bit too different to me. Just my opinion.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
This would make an interesting Pokemon game if it did happen! The Pokemon community would be split: half of the community would be outraged by the drastic change of gym leaders, pokemon and characters. The other half would be thrilled by the change.

I think that Game Freak could pull it off successfully, but what would be the point? If they're going to change things entirely, then they might as well set the scene in an entirely new region. This will bring in more fans and will please new fans. I do think that GameFreak could pull it off. Things would be strange, but I think that they could make it worth and I think the game would attract many more fans. Who knows, it may attract more fans than if they created an entirely new region, who knows!

Gawd this was hard to choose from, but I guess this type of game would best fit in the Sinnoh region but I'd rather like it in the Kanto region. I know that there have been like a billion remakes of Red and Blue but I think that it would be the coolest to implement this type of gameplay back in the Kant region because that's where we all started out. Everything is older and more primitive in the Pokemon world. Replace everything with new, state of the art gyms and new, different looking Pokemon and that changes the Pokemon experience drastically. It would change the Pokemon catching and training experience drastically. Instead of versing a rock gym leader first, you would be versing Cilan or his brothers. They have a normal type and a fire/water/grass type Pokemon which you would have to train and account for. The hardest gym would probably be the dragon gym, or the 5th. or 6th. gym because of the typing and the geography which you will have to deal with. Also, if you played in the Kanto region you may have a chance to skip a gym then go back and verse it later which could either help or hurt you. Then there's the Elite four. You would probably have to train more for that too.

I think that the Sinnoh region would fit best for the Unova region because it is the most modern region besides the Unova region. It has many of the attractions that the Unova region provided. The gyms are probably the most similar between the regions as well. The only gym that the Sinnoh region doesn't feature is a dragon type (Volkner's gym is more random than anything lol). Anyways, each region has towns that are similar, trainers that are similar, and the differences in Pokemon would make as big of a change than if you shifted with Johto or Kanto.

If GameFreak implemented this I would think that the Unova region and the region they based the game in should team up.For example, if the game was set in Kanto then Team Rocket and Plasma would team up). You would have to defeat both parties to save the region. At the end when you would fight their bosses (Giovanni's son and robot Ghetsis), N and Red would come to help you! Throughout your quest, you would visit with the old gym leaders of the region for advice and for help. It would be essential to talk to them and some you may need to even battle. You would meet up with Giovanni at one point and he would change. You would talk about Mewtwo and new Pokemon and "treatments" that Team Rocket would discover. You would also find out how Team Rocket and Team Plasma joined forces. The gameplay would have seasons, also there would be new towns and features in towns to entertain. After you beat the game there would be a sage mode where youcould travel back in time and verse the gym leaders when they were young. Their Pokemon would be harder. You would then verse the older Elite Four and Red at the end. After that, you would return to the present and N would give you a present. This would set the tone fr a new Pokemon game leaving fans excited!

Also, Team Ghetsis and Team Rocket would form a transfusion of Mewtwo/Mew and Reshiram/Zekrom depending on what game you buy. You would have to defeat it and would have the option of catching it after you had beaten Sage Mode.

Years
Ive played though the pther games that many time that i wouldnt enjoy the game. And isnt pokemon about going on a adventure that you dont know what to expect?

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I liked Unova but if it had to be a different region, maybe Sinnoh again, I don't tend to like Sinnoh but with Snowpoint, the extra area and whatnot it could be fixed, I'd say Hoenn but Kyurem... + Hoenn? Seems weird to me, I feel like Hoenn and Unova are 2 WAY different things. But mainly Sinnoh, as we've had too much Kanto, I like HG/SS so remaking it would be :P, I think, so Sinnoh seems the most likely.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I'm perfectly content with Unova and see nothing that could've been gained by setting the games in a different region, and particularly a region I've already been to. It's bad enough that GF has so often recycled pokemon, and, to me, the fact that BW don't have any recycled pokemon pre-E4 is one of their best features. It would've been a shame to have destroyed that by recycling a region, and in my opinion that's exactly what it would've done. But that's a thing I've never understood about much of the pokemon fan community anyway - I like new regions and new pokemon and really have little interest in seeing and catching and training the same things I've seen and caught and trained before, but it seems that I'm in a distinct minority in that.

Don't get me wrong - I like the updated games in old regions, like FR/LG and HGSS - but I like them the way they are and for what they are. They're ultimately remakes, to take advantage of the better hardware available since the first versions. I like seeing what the old games can do if they're redone for a new platform and with the new rulesets, but that's more than enough 'going back to an old region' for me. Beyond that, I just have no desire to revisit old regions. I want to see new regions and new pokemon - that, to me, is the real point of new games.

BanditThePikachu

The Raichu of awesome
Years
Not really in my opinion... I mean, Kanto's been in many games already, and Johto and Hoenn have been in a couple... I just think it's good to have a new Region to explore because most of the time you won't know what hits you when you play (Unless you watch walkthroughs or things in that nature.)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't know? I can't really imagine any of the characters in another region, they belong in Unova I guess.. if they are done any other region these characters would be completely different. If it had been an entirely new region I wouldn't feel any differently probably, since it would still feel like those characters belonged there.

Back