• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Walking With Pokémon

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Igloo Here!

Is it just me, or did seeing your happy little pokemon bouncing behind you enhance the gameplay? I love HeartGold and SoulSilver because of this feature. I think it's helpful for friendship evolution, and just plain fun. I mean, who wouldn't want to be hugged by a Dragonite?! I really enjoy being able to know what my pokemon think of me as well. It's a feature I've missed and yearned for ever since good ol' Yellow Version.

So, what I'm wondering is this; how many people here at PC were totally in love with your pokemon following you?

Sirfetch’d

This was one of, if not my favorite features of HG/SS. I loved seeing my cute little Pokemon behind me and it brought back such good memories of playing Pokemon Yellow. I could now have my little Castform floating right behind me and I simply loved it. I do hope that this is a feature that will be available again in future Pokemon games.

Years
This feature is really awesome, personally I think it's sad that Game freak didn't implement this in later games but each to their own.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
This is undoubtedly my favorite feature of HGSS and I wish they would have kept it around in all the games afterward. At the very least give the option of having one follow you if you want it to.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Agreed. We want to put it in our ROM hack, but I'm wondering if that's possible. I'm reaserching it, though.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
It was nice to the see the different spirites, but I've always preferred to walk alone and have my Pokémon be in their PokéBalls.

I've never liked that they slide on screen instead of popping out of their PokéBalls, reminds me of Yellow version and I didn't like that either.

Years
I loved having my Pokemon walk around with me, and the fact you can talk to them to like the Pikachu in Yellow. I was sad it never made it into 5th Gen, and also unfortunately 6th Gen as well. But I am hoping a future generation does include it again.

Years
I loved the walking feature. Super adorable and the little overworld sprites were done so well. Still funny to think about you walking into a Pokemon Center with Onix, though, but other than that it was great! :D

Years
Having your Pokemon follow you was, and still is one of my favorite parts about HG/SS. It's funny how something so simple can really add to the game, and make you want to go back and keep playing. It was sad to see this didn't make a return in the 5th gen, and it doesn't appear to be in X/Y either. Hopefully we'll get this back sooner rather than later, though.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
This was one of my favourite features of HGSS! I was really glad it made a comeback following the Yellow version. Looking at my Pokemon following me around makes me really happy. Not only does it increase my Pokemon's happiness, it also makes a great bonding technique for me and my team. At the end of the journey, I feel like they've become my best friends.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
This is what made me buy Soul Silver over Pokemon Black when Pokemon Black came out, I really wanted it but seriously I could have my own Eevee, Pikachu, LUGIA! walking behind me!!!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I agree so much! I'm an eevee breeder, and walking with pokemon is really helpful for getting umbreon/espeon. I've always been that person (nerd) that tells people to love their pokes, and walking with my pokemon just makes me feel like we've reached a new relationship. I've always thought that it would be cool if friendship affected EVs and IVs so that people would put more effort into being friends with their pokemon. It's called a TEAM for a reason, in my opinion. Wow I'm happy here! A whole forum full of people like me!

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I loved it. Although they should have made it optional.

Speaking of walking, they also got rid of the auto-running shoes feature. :\

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2013
This feature is probably what made me love Heartgold so much, other than the fact that it was my first pokemon game. I loved having my Feraligatr, Dizzy, behind me :D It was just adorable when I turned around and interacted with her, cause it would say things like "Dizzy hugged you!" Picture a big Feraligatr that's almost twice my size hugging me and tell me that's not adorable!

I really wish they included it in more games, it's just a really great feature to me.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I liked the feature however I'm not fussed about it not being in future installments. HG/SS implemented the feature well, it suited the game. I can't picture it in B/W and B/W 2, despite there being a moment where you can walk a Mienfoo in a house, I'd rather just keep it in HG/SS.

Back