• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding New Moves and Creating New Move Effects

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2013
Thanks for the amazing tutorial it worked perfectly for me :)
Still i have one major problem that prevents me from fully using and editing my moves :(
As the GameEditor doesn't work for me i use several other editors like YAPE (which also lets me fix the pointers and allowed me to add my new moves to my pokemon even if they are now just named Pound or Karate Chop) but i haven't found a move editor yet that let's me change the .ini to repoint the move table and makes it editable :(
When i opened up the .ini for A-tack the offsets shown for names/data are

[Nameoffset]
offset=2388129

[Dataoffset]
offset=2427908

which is quite confusing and changing them to my new offsets scrambles everything up :(
(YAPE had the correct offsets for moves in the .ini and changing went perfectly so there is nothing wrong with the rom itself)

EDIT: While not fixing the problem itself i solved the problem by overwriting the ORIGINAL move data instead of the newly created ones :)

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
EDIT: Where did the the offset 0x1D6947 come from for the flare blitz part?

It's part of the main Battle Script Attack Handler, all moves branch back to it at some stage. In this case, it's the relevant part needed to execute the remaining effects and faints and such.

Thanks for the amazing tutorial it worked perfectly for me :)
Still i have one major problem that prevents me from fully using and editing my moves :(
As the GameEditor doesn't work for me i use several other editors like YAPE (which also lets me fix the pointers and allowed me to add my new moves to my pokemon even if they are now just named Pound or Karate Chop) but i haven't found a move editor yet that let's me change the .ini to repoint the move table and makes it editable :(
When i opened up the .ini for A-tack the offsets shown for names/data are

[Nameoffset]
offset=2388129

[Dataoffset]
offset=2427908

which is quite confusing and changing them to my new offsets scrambles everything up :(
(YAPE had the correct offsets for moves in the .ini and changing went perfectly so there is nothing wrong with the rom itself)

EDIT: While not fixing the problem itself i solved the problem by overwriting the ORIGINAL move data instead of the newly created ones :)

You can't use any editor apart from PGE for the new moves or for applying them. No older editor supports them properly. YAPE especially, is a bad choice of editor for this new move stuff!

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
The tutorial works perfectly, I'm just having a problem with repointing animations on one of the new moves. I saw Chaos Rush's post on Roost, and I decided to put it in my game. For the animation pointer, I just copied FeatherDance's animation pointer. After I finish the introduction scene, and it sends me to the hero's room in Pallet Town, the game either:
1) VBA displays a BIOS error(?!)
2) It becomes completely silent and black. I can't continue in the game.

I think this has to do with the fact also that all the animation pointers are not 'normal' pointers...

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
I'm trying to make the effects for Thunder fang, ice fang, and fire fang, but when I do I feel like the effect rates are really low. The flinch works fine almost too much because it seems like it's every other move, but the paralyze, freeze, and burn almost never happen. I'm not quite sure what to do because there's no effect that make paralyze freeze and burn happen 100% of the time. Here is my code for thunder fang.

Thunder Fang
Spoiler:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I'm trying to make the effects for Thunder fang, ice fang, and fire fang, but when I do I feel like the effect rates are really low. The flinch works fine almost too much because it seems like it's every other move, but the paralyze, freeze, and burn almost never happen. I'm not quite sure what to do because there's no effect that make paralyze freeze and burn happen 100% of the time. Here is my code for thunder fang.

Thunder Fang
Spoiler:

Firstly, the fang moves don't have 100% chance to burn/freeze/paralyze, they have the same chance as the flinch.

Secondly, to make an effect have 100% chance of hitting the target, you need to change the 0x15 that's tagged onto the end of the effect to a 0x16 instead.

This makes it ignore the chance, and give the status, as long as the status can be given.

Hope this helps!

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
Firstly, the fang moves don't have 100% chance to burn/freeze/paralyze, they have the same chance as the flinch.

Secondly, to make an effect have 100% chance of hitting the target, you need to change the 0x15 that's tagged onto the end of the effect to a 0x16 instead.

This makes it ignore the chance, and give the status, as long as the status can be given.

Hope this helps!

It's been awhile since I made that so I don't even remember what I did. However I know that I was trying to make the effects 100% because I thought I could change that chance with PGE. Don't ask me why lol.

What was hard was I didn't know the hex value for flinch to be 10 nor did I know the paralysis or freeze value for 10%

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
Ok so Does this happen to anyone else?
When I update the roms .ini and it says the roms .ini has been updated it doesn't show the new moves.
But when it says unexpected error occured then it exits then I go back on, it shows the moves.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
Ok so Does this happen to anyone else?
When I update the roms .ini and it says the roms .ini has been updated it doesn't show the new moves.
But when it says unexpected error occured then it exits then I go back on, it shows the moves.

Make sure you don't have your rom opened up in a hex editor

I hate to double post but I felt this is somewhat important. Here's my record of the all the effects between 00-C0. I unfortunately don't know how to figure out the the effect percentage, but if I figure it out I will edit :)

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2017
Well, I managed to create one move called "Iced Shell" based in Gray magic in Fairy Tail, but have a little problem: each effect (Freeze + Selfdestruct) causes a little damage in opponent. If anyone knows how to fix, i would be grateful.

Spoiler:

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
Is there any easy way to change descriptions of new attacks in PGE? I know I can change description pointers to old ones, but i don't know how to make a new description.

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
I don't know if this is something new, but I figured out code for quiver dance:
Spoiler:

Years
I don't know if this is something new, but I figured out code for quiver dance:
Spoiler:

Wow! dude is this really works? just exactly what i need! thx a lot :D

EDIT: Oh wait, it didnt work, it do nothing(the game is not freeze btw)

Last edited:

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
Wow! dude is this really works? just exactly what i need! thx a lot :D

EDIT: Oh wait, it didnt work, it do nothing(the game is not freeze btw)

Strange, I checked it once more and it seems to be working for me. Just make sure you put the effect in expanded table of effects.

If you removed last poniter (5F 86 1D 08) in the step 3, you can try this: in PGE set move effect to lower number (e.g. if you set it to 214, make it 213). Hope it'll help.

Last edited:
Years
Strange, I checked it once more and it seems to be working for me. Just make sure you put the effect in expanded table of effects.

If you removed last poniter (5F 86 1D 08) in the step 3, you can try this: in PGE set move effect to lower number (e.g. if you set it to 214, make it 213). Hope it'll help.

Ah yes! It works!! Thx a lot for making this code dude, i spent hours to make it (i know, i'm suck lol) :D

Hope itman will post this at the first page, cause this code is works.

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
Ah yes! It works!! Thx a lot for making this code dude, i spent hours to make it (i know, i'm suck lol) :D

Hope itman will post this at the first page, cause this code is works.

Put it on first page. :)
I'm so glad everyone is helping expand on this. I finally have time again to hack, so hopefully I'll be able to find some more. :)

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
Here's a code for close combat:
Spoiler:

BTW the code for quiver dance was made by me. Could you fix it on the first page? :(

Years
Put it on first page. :)
I'm so glad everyone is helping expand on this. I finally have time again to hack, so hopefully I'll be able to find some more. :)

Thx for putting it on the first page, btw the quiver dance code is made by pawell6, not me :3

Btw, in case everyone need it, here is the code for coil:

Spoiler:

All i do was just editting pawell6 Q. dance code, all thx to him :D

NB: In order for the both Q.dance and Coil effect to works, make sure in PGE attack editor, you set the accuracy to '100', base power to '0', target to 'user', and just for safety reason, effct accuracy to '100'

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
NB: In order for the both Q.dance and Coil effect to works, make sure in PGE attack editor, you set the accuracy to '100', base power to '0', target to 'user', and just for safety reason, effct accuracy to '100'

You're completely right. After some research I found out that you can modify this code to ignore the chance of effect in PGE. The modified code is:

Spoiler:

The bolded bytes were previously 15. 16 ignores chance of effects and it will always raise sp. atk, sp. def and speed even if chance is set to 0 in PGE. Thx for pointing this out. Certainly the first code will work correctly if chance is set to 100.

Edit: Jambo51 have already found out about effect of 16 (see post #26) so basically it's his idea.

Last edited:
Back