• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Moved x to the FREE SPACE!

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
*I searched there was a thread on this but the last post was in October. So since you can't/shouldn't post in a thread that's over 4 months old, I decided to make a new one!*

In Black 2 and White 2, a new section was added to the Bag known as Free Space which allows players to select items they use alot and move them to the extra pocket or Free Space so they can be easily accessed.

What do you think of this feature? Have you used it and find it useful? If you used it , what kind of items do you move to the Free Space? Would you like to see the Free Scape return in future games?

Personally I didn't use it when I first started play the games and thought it was rather pointless. But yesterday when playing Black 2, I thought i make use of it and I find it pretty nifty. Makes the Bag more organized and I can access items I use easier without spending time going through my bag. Right now, the only items in the Free Space are my Poke Balls and Great Balls, though I might added more kinds of Poke Balls and the potions too.

Years
I loved the Free Space feature, it was something well-needed since I tended to have trouble finding the correct items to use and storing them in a special compartment of the bag made it easier. I did use it in Black 2, and it currently stores my Bicycle, Super Rod, Xtransceiver, Dowsing Machine and DNA Splicers. (The Xtransceiver I use to mainly call Curtis, while I need the DNA Splicers easily accessible if I want to fuse Kyurem with my Reshiram or Zekrom).

I would definitely want to see it return in future games, since it was such a lifesaver.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I like this Free Space feature.
This feature really helps me to sort my items. Usually I store unused items to Free Space area, so I can access the other area in my bag with more comfortable way.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I personally found it useless :x like I just kept everything where it was and when I moved stuff by accident it got lost and I was like omfg where is this????

But ya I didn't notice it for a while really!

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
One of the best features introduced in BW2. I kept my repels, potions etc inside it, it was sooo tiresome looking through it if I was going through, say, chargestone cave or something. Haven't even finished the game lol so haven't included key items, but keeping potions and repels in it was awesome.

Rewy

untitled follower
Years
I stashed all of my Heart scales and vitamins there since I barely buy any potions of any kind. (Moomoomilk all the way.)

I found it rather useful, because I most certainly disliked the fact that hold items, random items and pokeballs went to the same bag.
So... long.. scroll... Along with the fact that "why would I have a search function in my bag? can't I just make more slots to it?"

Oh well. I hope Free Space would stay for future games.

Years
I honestly didn't notice it till just recently. I never really used it, mostly because of the fact of I don't exactly know how it works, or if it actually did anything special other than just giving you an extra bag for whatever you want to put in it. I guess I'll try using it and see if I find it useful. Then agian I guess extra bag space is always nice.

Years
I loved having the free space in the bag, as this is where I moved all of my important items, like Poke Balls, Full Restores, Max Repels, vitamins, etc. I also had all of the rare items that you can only sell to certain collectors in this place, just so I knew exactly where they were rather than searching through my entire bag of items.

Really hope that the free space is brought back for X/Y, as it was a really convenient time saver.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Useless to me. I mean, our bags already hold an infinite amount of items (which is so realistic), so to have an extra spot for those "extra" items was really pointless. Idk why they put it there, tbh. Maybe for a most used type of thing, but even then I don't do that.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I love using the free space a lot, all the extra items I find, usually stuff I don't buy in PokeMart, goes in the Free Space. I hope its available in X & Y - plus it makes it easier to scroll on the other parts of the bags.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Next to the Habitat feature in the PokéDex, the Free Space option in our bag is probably my second favorite new thing in Black 2 and White 2. Personally, I hated how they crowded Hold Items, Pokéballs, and other random items all together. That's just so much scrolling to do and I would often overlook what I was looking for half of the time. So now I stock a lot of items I use frequently or rare items we get in the Free Space so they're easier to find.

This is definitely something I hope we see again in future games to come (X and Y, I'm looking at you).

Volcarona

then live beautifully until the end
Years
While I appreciated the purpose of the Free Space section, I didn't find much use out of it. I register important key items and I organize important battle items (Leftovers, Amulet Coin, Lucky Egg) to the near top. I would prefer to deposit somewhat useless items in the PC, anyways.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I stuck my XTrans there, and the Medal Box. The other items I use most frequently however end up never staying in my bag for long, and Pokéballs being needed only in battle makes it useless to put them in Free Space. I can see its usefulness if you have favourite TMs or TMs you plan to make use of, or items you intend to use for evolution, etc. I haven't really done much with it yet, however.

Cyclone

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Free Space? Never needed it. Found it quite useless. I just rearranged my items from most important to least important and there you have it.

I didn't have very good experiences with this Free Space feature the first time I played B/W2. I started with the Japanese version because I couldn't wait any longer for the English version to be released in Australia, so everything was in Japanese. I can read Japanese, but I didn't know that there was such thing as Free Space. The first time I discovered about it was when I accidentally selected another option on something really important that I wanted to use. It suddenly disappeared and tried searching for it in the main bag space. When I couldn't find it, I was like "........damn. I must have deleted it." And THEN I tried making sense of the option that I selected. It said something like "Furii Supesu". Suddenly, everything clicked together and I switched to the Free Space and there that item was. Thank goodness! D:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Free Space to me was only a bit useful to rearrange my stuff, other than that i didn't really use it.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
The free space I love it and use it a lot. Usually for repels so they were easier to find when I wanted no battles to bother me.

I loved the free space and would be sad to see it go if it when.

Back