• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Gym Types/Puzzles/Appearance Speculation

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Thought this was different enough from Player-owned Gyms and the More than Eight Gyms thread, but if not feel free to merge them ^_^

As with every game, we get a new set of Gym Leaders, as well as a new type order to go along with them. We also see some inventive puzzles that go hand-in-hand with the type that the gym holds, which is another give-away for the type of gym it is (If the assistant telling you, the sign outside of the gym, and the Pokémon used by the trainers inside weren't enough of a give away!). In addition, the environment inside the gym is generally unique to the typing of the leader inside. Is there any particular gym type you would like to see this generation? Are there any puzzles you could possibly think of that would go with a particular type of gym? Are there any aesthetics that you would love to see incorporated?

The one thing I definitely want to see is a Dark-typed gym. It is the one type that hasn't been used for a Gym Leader, and I think it would be a welcome addition. I would expect it to be a very dark and shadowy interior, maybe with thunder and lightning rigged up to be showing up somehow inside. As far as puzzles go, I honestly don't really have a clue what could happen, but I'm sure Game Freak could come up with something!

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Well so far we have a bug, psychic, and grass type gym, if the trailer is any indication. Outside of those I would like dark, rock, poison, fighting, and ground to be the other gyms, and I'm cool. The type weakness and strengths are pretty balanced, and the starters won't have too much trouble against them. Not to mention the type list would be pretty out there compared to the norm.

Sirfetch’d

I would agree that we need a Dark type gym considering that we have never had one with the inside obviously being well dark. As for the puzzles, I think that they are getting more and more creative so I am sure that they will be good.

Also I would like the first Gym not to be Rock type considering it has been 50% of the time.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Gyms - The Strongest in the Land

This is something I've been thinking about for a while, and if this is better in General, then so be it. However, I want to bring up the idea as it pertains to this game specifically.

In all main-series Pokémon games, you are able to go to a Gym very early in the game and defeat that leader, obtaining your first Gym badge. You are always forced to defeat the next Gym in order to proceed in the story. By the time you can even access Victory Road legitimately (i.e. without cheating), the Badge Check Gates are a useless entry, as only the final gate - or sometimes none at all - will possibly deny you access. Only in Kanto do they really play a role as you can be barred entry in the first gate if you trek west from Viridian City with your Lv.8 Pokémon.

So here's my question. Should Gamefreak design a game where you do all the wandering around, but the Gyms are meant to be tackled more towards the end of the storyline? For instance, you get to the point where you have three more cities to visit, but now someone tells you to go back to the city with the first Gym and take on that leader before you can proceed; this leader has always had Lv.35 Pokémon, but you first trekked by at Lv.10. Could this backtracking idea be feasible, and why or why not? What if the weakest Gym was the fifth one you came across, and there was storyline around why he's a weak Gym Leader? Meanwhile, Victory Road is nearby early in the journey, and gives you visibility of your final goal. Maybe even multiple entrances requiring different badges, meaning one can visit early.

Discuss as it pertains to X/Y. :)

Cyclone

Guy

just a guy
Years
Since it's about the gyms, I merged your thread here, Cyclone.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
Years
As far as Gyms are concerned, I wouldn't mind seeing X and Y take puzzles to whole new level, perhaps using the gyroscope, the touchscreen, StreetPass, or even augmented reality because that's something we haven't really had before. (e.g. repairing a computer using the touch screen in an Electric Gym) Something else I would like to see is perhaps the Gyms becoming a bit more flexible, as in 1st Gym you don't have to beat right away, you can make it the last Gym you come to, and the leader's team will change depending on how many you've beaten. We've only ever seen something like that back in 1st Gen, and I think it should really be expanded upon.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
As far as Gyms are concerned, I wouldn't mind seeing X and Y take puzzles to whole new level, perhaps using the gyroscope, the touchscreen, StreetPass, or even augmented reality because that's something we haven't really had before. (e.g. repairing a computer using the touch screen in an Electric Gym) Something else I would like to see is perhaps the Gyms becoming a bit more flexible, as in 1st Gym you don't have to beat right away, you can make it the last Gym you come to, and the leader's team will change depending on how many you've beaten. We've only ever seen something like that back in 1st Gen, and I think it should really be expanded upon.

As far as the flexibility thing goes, I also would love to see some more of it, but it wasn't totally intentional in RBY from what I understood. You could fight Sabrina or Koga in whichever order you really wanted, I guess you could count Blaine in there if you fought Koga before Sabrina and just Surfed to Cinnabar instead of going back to Saffron, but it didn't scale the levels accordingly, it just let you do whatever. But for like 3-4 gyms it definitely would be cool to be let the player do the gyms in whatever order they wanted, and had different flags set up for scripting that allowed the story to progress in whatever city it needed to.

I could definitely see using the Gyroscrope for puzzles in the gyms though. Maybe have to move something into the proper place using the gyroscope, and then one it was placed it could let a gate up or something? I could see this working in a Rock gym, rolling boulders around.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I would agree that we need a Dark type gym considering that we have never had one with the inside obviously being well dark. As for the puzzles, I think that they are getting more and more creative so I am sure that they will be good.

Also I would like the first Gym not to be Rock type considering it has been 50% of the time.

Maybe we could have another triple typed first gym?? Although that seems a little pointless now, but it could represent another core maybe :3

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Maybe we could have another triple typed first gym?? Although that seems a little pointless now, but it could represent another core maybe :3

I think the novelty in that was the introduction of the monkey trio, so using that idea again kinda destroys that novelty in itself. I mean I definitely did enjoy having 3 Gym Leaders for the first gym, but I don't think it's going to happen again. If it does maybe make it a Triple Battle instead of just fighting one of them?

Speaking of which, I'd love to see another Double Battle gym like that of Tate and Liza from Hoenn. I guess it was mostly there as the Double Battle mechanic was new in those games, but I thought it was a more interesting battle to partake in. Maybe now having a rotation/triple/double battle as a Gym. I'd definitely enjoy that!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think the novelty in that was the introduction of the monkey trio, so using that idea again kinda destroys that novelty in itself. I mean I definitely did enjoy having 3 Gym Leaders for the first gym, but I don't think it's going to happen again. If it does maybe make it a Triple Battle instead of just fighting one of them?

Speaking of which, I'd love to see another Double Battle gym like that of Tate and Liza from Hoenn. I guess it was mostly there as the Double Battle mechanic was new in those games, but I thought it was a more interesting battle to partake in. Maybe now having a rotation/triple/double battle as a Gym. I'd definitely enjoy that!

Oh, yes, triple battle. I can totally see that happening in these games (a triple battle gym, that is!), given that we were kinda hinted towards triples mattering in gen 5 with the triple types as mentioned and triple battles in general.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Oh, yes, triple battle. I can totally see that happening in these games (a triple battle gym, that is!), given that we were kinda hinted towards triples mattering in gen 5 with the triple types as mentioned and triple battles in general.

I agree with ya there. I was actually really disappointed with Striaton City when you get to the Gym, see three leaders, and you only battle one. I just wanted it to happen, especially since it was introduced that generation.

Also I'd just love to see a leader with AI that's smarter than normal. Spamming not very effective moves against a Pokémon that hasn't switched in three turns definitely makes sense. I know they did this in HGSS when it came to the Elite Four rematches, so it's definitely possible. I mean, if they're a Gym Leader they can't be THAT dumb.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Ah, the AI and difficulty of the Gym leaders... lemme make some points about that:

I want to be more challenging gym leaders with specific strategies. I really hope they'd take consideration on how easy the current gym battles are, and seriously re-work them to incorporated strategies that not only work with the TMs they issue, but with moves such as... Trick Room or the weather moves. Take Candice from Gen 4. She has an Ice team, with her TM being Avalanche. But at the same time, she also has somewhat of a Hail Team (maybe from the fact that Snover and Abomoasnow was available with Snow Warning but besides that point). She also has a Froslass with her Snow Clock ability. In which under hail, even if you had a team full of Fire pokemon, it'd be still quite a challenge to defeat Froslass, unless you were lucky enough. Besides that, with hail, she was able to spam Blizzard constantly, with a full 100% accuracy rate. Case in point, I'd like more gym leaders who can utilize other strategies, like field-based moves, or something of the sort.

And another thing, I want there to be more harder gym trainers, and a longer gym feel. I dunno, with gyms, I feel like at the end, I feel like Gym Leaders are 'bosses'. And, I want there to be more satisfaction of beating these 'bosses' than just collecting badges and grabbing those TMs. To be honest, and in my opinion, there should be a point where you'll feel that you've really, really, had to actually work for it. That would be actually be more satisfying earning a badge. As a side point, the music has to be epic too. I mean, battles aren't really the same without the proper music, y'know?

..Something extra also came to mind. I really hope that this room:

Pokemon-X-Y-3DS-Fire-Room.jpg

Becomes a gym. That would be very impressive, imo. Maybe this room is a gym too:

2zgvhb5.jpg

There are Gym signs there. It.. kind of reminds me of Unova's, but, they're probably just the offical gym signs for every where now.

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
That throne room looks a lot like it might be an E4 place of all things, and yeah that bottom one is likely a Psychic gym.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Looks to be either Psychic or Poison just based on the signs being purple, though I'd also go with Psychic based on the platforms and everything kind of having a supernatural effect to it.

blue

gucci
Years
Maybe the Puzzles could entail us actually interacting with the touchscreen in order to progress through the gym, possibly something like drawing a suitable pathway around obstacles to reach the gym leader.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
That'd be a cool concept for a Psychic or Electric gym maybe? Using electricity/psychic power to manipulate the platforms around the gym to create the path?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
2zgvhb5.jpg

There are Gym signs there. It.. kind of reminds me of Unova's, but, they're probably just the offical gym signs for every where now.

I'd say it's probably a poison gym or a dark gym thinking about it. Just below does also give me the vibe of Unova, and not just the signs. It just seems like a gym really. :x

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Gym Leader Speculation

I have thought of a few names off the top of my head for names of gym leaders and their types:

Zapphire: Electric type
Hepburn: Fire type
Gail: Flying Type
Flora: Grass type

Last edited:

dragonnathan025

Pokemon Breeder
Years
In the video released, there's a statue with Golurk, Palpitoad, a trainer, and what might be an Eevee. My guess is, that might be the entrance to an Earth-based gym? Guessing by Golurk having evolved and Palpitoad still being Palpitoad, I'd guess about the 5th or 6th gym.

Back