• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Dawn of a New Era" Episode Discussion

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
Well, here we are. Today's episode unofficially marks the beginning of the new series. Discuss the new episode of the 10th season's dub & Dawn's true entrance into the Pokemon world (heh), "Dawn of a New Era!".

My review to come later.

Last edited:

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
Years
You beat me. Teeheehee

Well. There lots of aruging between Ash and Dawn right? Teeheehee I kinda reminds me of how Misty and Ash started out don't you think? Bring us back to old times. Teeheehee

Bunery!!! Teeheehe I so love that pokemon!!! Cute bunny!!!! *hugs*

Dawn: Why do you keep chasing Pikachu?

Jessie: Why are you a terp?

I got a really good laugh from that quote. Teehehee

Okies. Is it just me or was that the lamest Team Rocket disguise ever? Teeheehee I mean they were even wearing their uniforms under their robes. Teeheehee Poor Ash and friends were never the best and uncovering things like that. Teeheehee

I miss the old Team Rocket motto but I sure do love the background music. Super great!!!

We finally get to see how Mega Drain looks like. Coolie.

Is it just me that both Ash and Dawn are similar? Both seeing a Legendary Pokemon on the first day of their journeies?

I did like the pun for the title. Very creative.

It was a good episode. Kinda just slow if you ask me but okies over all. Can't wait for the next new episode on monday.

Years
Yep definetely the worst disguise ever, but they couldn't afford disguises. They spent all of their money on their 3 dollar hotel.

Nando was pretty awesome, but the way he talks kind of gets old after a while. I'm glad that Pikachu won against Roselia, I would've been made if Ash lost...If he can beat Drake he can beat Nando. Also Nando says please too much.

It's funny that Dawn saw Mesprit and she thinks she saw Ho-oh, they look nothing alike...

I'll end my post with a statement. I don't like Nurse Joy's new voice.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
Yep definetely the worst disguise ever, but they couldn't afford disguises. They spent all of their money on their 3 dollar hotel.

Heh, I have to admit, I was kind of..."indisposed" while the episode was on, so I didn't actually see TR's latest disguise attempt. Hindsight tells me that I should have just switched my VCR on...*sigh* well, I won't make that mistake again.

Anyway, I actually saw the rest of it, and...I also made a comparison to another character, but I compared Dawn more with Casey from Johto than Misty. She's just starting out, about as stubborn as Ash (oh boy), and a bit crazy as well...actually, I guess "noobish" would be better than crazy (Mesprit = Ho-oh...LOL). Honestly, I bet at least 1000 viewers either thought or yelled "N00B!!" at Dawn at that point...

*ahem* Anyway...hmm, on second thought, I'll hold off for a bit longer.

~Misty~

*~The Tomboyish Mermaid~*
Years
Yeah all in all it was a good episode... some thoughts to myself:

So that's what are on the inside of Budew's hands, red and blue plates.

Worst Team Rocket disguise ever! I agree with all of y'all.

I'll get used to the motto through time, like I did with Battle Frontiers.

Dawn, HOW IS A HO-OH A MESPIRIT?

She really needs to get her act together, and catch another Pokemon, Piplup is kind of starting to bore me! VARIETY GIRL!

All in all... 4.5/5

I liked Mega Drain and Sunny Day, Solar Beam is still a white beam of light LOL.

I cannot wait until... Gettin' Twiggy With It! LOL!

Years
For really the first episode post the season premiere hoopla, I am mixed. My main argument is pacing and proper due.

My main issue is Rando (Which I'll dub Lando), who basically steals the script. Then, when we finally have a good observation from Brock on Dawn's irresponsibility (and Ash's to a degree) and the fact she doesn't want to camp out in the dirt (heh), Lando pops up and disrupts the wonderful character building moment. Plus, when we get to see Dawn vs. Team Rocket, Lando pops up all deus ex machina (it fits with that powerful Bullet Seed) and wrecks Carnie's Battle debut. And for the finale, Ash battles Lando, when shouldn't it be Dawn to attempt to settle the previous score?

Although, if Pikachu had lost to this Budew, that's it for me. Explanation on that in a bit.

Despite Lando's insertions into the script, he is alright, but should have shown up a few episodes later, when Dawn has the hang on things with her new friends and the re-exposition of everything (like Contests, as that is a central theme -- after all, they did it with May). Ah, well. And it is nice of Ash dealing with pre-existing Pokemon having different pre-evo/evolution (battling his knowledge of Roselia), the Joys and Jennys explained again, Ash/Brock meeting Johanna, the fact you can play both Gyms and Contests, as until then, that wasn't addressed.

It has its ups and downs.

And lastly, why are there Chimecho in the forest here? In Sinnoh, don't they hang around Mt. Coronet? Oops.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2007
Sooo...

I was pretty much, at the mall.
And watching Pirates 3.
So I missed it, does anyone know if it's online in english yet?

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
You know, I hated the motto at first, but it actually seems to work, except the ending, that's gonna bug me XD

Nandos voice was perfect o.o I can't wait to see him in future episodes =P And I love that Ash + Dawn share a rival, unlike past seasons =D

ChrisG14

I'm back baby!
Years
Episode was ok. I just wonder who the hell confuses a giant flying firebird with a small Sprit over a lake of water? I know you've just started your journey and all, but you've got eyes, come on...

But then again, she is a 10 year old wearing an extremely short skirt, so maybe she is clueless.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
For really the first episode post the season premiere hoopla, I am mixed. My main argument is pacing and proper due.

My main issue is Rando (Which I'll dub Lando), who basically steals the script. Then, when we finally have a good observation from Brock on Dawn's irresponsibility (and Ash's to a degree) and the fact she doesn't want to camp out in the dirt (heh), Lando pops up and disrupts the wonderful character building moment. Plus, when we get to see Dawn vs. Team Rocket, Lando pops up all deus ex machina (it fits with that powerful Bullet Seed) and wrecks Carnie's Battle debut. And for the finale, Ash battles Lando, when shouldn't it be Dawn to attempt to settle the previous score?

Although, if Pikachu had lost to this Budew, that's it for me. Explanation on that in a bit.

Despite Lando's insertions into the script, he is alright, but should have shown up a few episodes later, when Dawn has the hang on things with her new friends and the re-exposition of everything (like Contests, as that is a central theme -- after all, they did it with May). Ah, well. And it is nice of Ash dealing with pre-existing Pokemon having different pre-evo/evolution (battling his knowledge of Roselia), the Joys and Jennys explained again, Ash/Brock meeting Johanna, the fact you can play both Gyms and Contests, as until then, that wasn't addressed.

It has its ups and downs.

And lastly, why are there Chimecho in the forest here? In Sinnoh, don't they hang around Mt. Coronet? Oops.

*sees DC's new avatar*

O_O

......*ahem*

You mean "Nando", also another reason not to leave the Professor's names as their Japanese form. Yeah, I agree with the comparison, though, except he seemed more like Drew would if he was older (chew on that for a while, ContestShippers!), with his attitude and all. I know most of that's coming from the dub choices, but it just seems that way. We also know that eventually Dawn is going to be facing down a Roserade, true to May's footsteps, but that's a discussion for much later...

I dunno, I think Carnivine's debut was so-so. At least he got SOMETHING, though I agree that Budew's involvement was a bit much. On the other hand, somebody had to pop in and save the novice Dawn, and Ash coming in would have probably caused some problems...*cough*... What surprised me a bit, though, was that I don't think Ash, Dawn, or Brock were all that surprised about Carnivine's appearance.

And then the final battle. Of course Ash was going to fight Nando here. After all, hadn't they made fun of Dawn's novice status enough for one episode :P ? At least Ash won the battle, which was a "you win or you're a weakling" kind of thing, granted, but once Budew evolved, well...We've seen Roselia pull off unlikely wins before thanks to Drew, so the writers could have had Roselia win out of nostalgia, or because most of the times that we see a Pokemon evolve it becomes a come-from-behind win. But nope, we get a double-level of payback courtesy of Pikachu. No complaints. At least we finally get to see Mega Drain the way it should work, as opposed to a physical bite *coughindigoplateaucough*.

Years
*sees DC's new avatar*

O_O

......*ahem*

You mean "Nando", also another reason not to leave the Professor's names as their Japanese form. Yeah, I agree with the comparison, though, except he seemed more like Drew would if he was older (chew on that for a while, ContestShippers!), with his attitude and all. I know most of that's coming from the dub choices, but it just seems that way. We also know that eventually Dawn is going to be facing down a Roserade, true to May's footsteps, but that's a discussion for much later...

I dunno, I think Carnivine's debut was so-so. At least he got SOMETHING, though I agree that Budew's involvement was a bit much. On the other hand, somebody had to pop in and save the novice Dawn, and Ash coming in would have probably caused some problems...*cough*... What surprised me a bit, though, was that I don't think Ash, Dawn, or Brock were all that surprised about Carnivine's appearance.

And then the final battle. Of course Ash was going to fight Nando here. After all, hadn't they made fun of Dawn's novice status enough for one episode :P ? At least Ash won the battle, which was a "you win or you're a weakling" kind of thing, granted, but once Budew evolved, well...We've seen Roselia pull off unlikely wins before thanks to Drew, so the writers could have had Roselia win out of nostalgia, or because most of the times that we see a Pokemon evolve it becomes a come-from-behind win. But nope, we get a double-level of payback courtesy of Pikachu. No complaints. At least we finally get to see Mega Drain the way it should work, as opposed to a physical bite *coughindigoplateaucough*.

Nando? Man, I'm off, or it could be one of those names that I'm bound to be confused by. Of course, I don't much care for the character, so I'm not that concerned.

Spoiler:

Anyway, I did muse Drew, especially with the character design, but with Nando's flowery delivery (pun not intented), it was a distraction from all that. As for the Pikachu vs. Roselia battle, I'm glad the rat won as it's been rather humilated lately (beaten by a beginner's Elekid after taking down a Regice a few episodes before?! -- Dogasu observed this on his comparisons).

Everything else, I agree with, and I, too, enjoyed seeing Mega Drain finally converted properly. There's a early Johto episode that debuted Bellossum and did a "Pokemon/nature is great" spiel halfway through, and the episode, here, reminded me of this. I forget the title at the moment. Another item I forgot was: it's good to see Dawn set on Contests early, than, say, May with her early indecision. Would have made for a good reference, but, oh, well.

And you love the new avatar, admit it.

Last edited:

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
I'm OK with the new motto now, except from "We're in your face" has managed to make me laugh everytime I've watched it. Pretty good episode. I didn't know that what Dawn saw was a Mespirit because I don't have D/P yet but I thought it was funny when she said it was a Ho-Oh.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
I noticed that alot of people were complaining about the opening song. Now that I've seen the opening, I can comment.

Honestly, it isn't really that bad. I mean, it's not as good as the 4Kids openings (don't get me wrong, they still had the best openings). But it's not horrible.

Overall, the show seems to be getting off to a decent start. Team Rocket's theme is going to take some getting used to, but other than that, it isn't a big deal.

Years
I noticed that alot of people were complaining about the opening song. Now that I've seen the opening, I can comment.

Honestly, it isn't really that bad. I mean, it's not as good as the 4Kids openings (don't get me wrong, they still had the best openings). But it's not horrible.

Overall, the show seems to be getting off to a decent start. Team Rocket's theme is going to take some getting used to, but other than that, it isn't a big deal.

I watched it again with this episode, and I'll admit, it isn't as bad as when I first watched. I'd rather chide PUSA for their overuse of the first Gym Battle, instead of more OP footage.

Anyway, Dogasu has the episode comparison up, and has some unique commentary.

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/diamond_pearl/ep004.html

Years
  • Seen Jul 9, 2007
An argument about the script of a pokemon episode? I know I'm a slowpoke, but... really?

Thought it was alright although Team Rocket's work is getting pretty tiresome after how many times now? Still it should be interesting to see a trainer who does both Gym battles and Contests and if he's going to have a varity of pokemon or just stick with grass types.

Years
My expectation for Nando is that since he'll obviously have a Roserade, he'll probably have a group of pokemon that were heavily anticipated. Though he may also stick with happy sunshiny pokemon, too. That's kind of what Nando's all about.

ChrisG14

I'm back baby!
Years
I just wonder if we'll see Drew again. I know we'll see May, but a Drew vs Nando Contest battle would be pretty cool to see.

Years

I almost killed myself the first time I heard the opening song... but I'll get used to it eventually. I really hate Team Rocket's new motto.

Back