• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animal Lovers Association

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I wanted to tell people about this, but couldn't figure out where. Then I remembered this club!

So I have a fluffle of wild rabbits living out in my backyard! A few weeks ago, my dog dug up the first nest that was under my pool deck. She didn't find any rabbits in the nest. Only a huge clump of rabbit fur. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

Until I was told that there was a rabbit nest under some garden planters. We made sure that the nest was being used, since the mother rabbit only comes at dawn and dusk to check on her babies. Sure enough, we had a few babies in our garden. I even have a picture of Mama Bunny checking on her babies, but it's on another camera so I don't have it right now.

There are two babies, and they're now old enough to leave the nest. I've seen them just resting in the sunlight, hidden in the tall grass my family left up for them to hide in. They're tiny but pretty much fearless, as they don't care when two dogs go running around them.

It's just adorable to think about having three bunnies in the backyard. I just saw Mama Bunny earlier tonight as she had a snack and leaped through the yard. Because of this, I've researched rabbits. While I never want to actually own one as a pet, it's been fun and interesting to see these three make their appearances.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
Awww baby reindeer! Future Santa's helpers, maybe? :3 Hopefully they decide on a name as soon as the find the gender. And hopefully the mom-baby bond goes well too. :)

Welcome! Do you own any pets of your own? If not, that's alright. We welcome animal lovers of all levels. I'm a cat owner myself. Never met someone who likes hermit crabs, I've seen a ton of those around the beaches in Mexico and they are really scary! xD Nice to see you are brave. :)

Apparently, the newborn reindeer is a male whom they named Apollo. I found that out today when I went back to volunteer there. They also added a permanent (but seasonal) American alligator exhibit.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I wanted to tell people about this, but couldn't figure out where. Then I remembered this club!

So I have a fluffle of wild rabbits living out in my backyard! A few weeks ago, my dog dug up the first nest that was under my pool deck. She didn't find any rabbits in the nest. Only a huge clump of rabbit fur. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

Until I was told that there was a rabbit nest under some garden planters. We made sure that the nest was being used, since the mother rabbit only comes at dawn and dusk to check on her babies. Sure enough, we had a few babies in our garden. I even have a picture of Mama Bunny checking on her babies, but it's on another camera so I don't have it right now.

There are two babies, and they're now old enough to leave the nest. I've seen them just resting in the sunlight, hidden in the tall grass my family left up for them to hide in. They're tiny but pretty much fearless, as they don't care when two dogs go running around them.

It's just adorable to think about having three bunnies in the backyard. I just saw Mama Bunny earlier tonight as she had a snack and leaped through the yard. Because of this, I've researched rabbits. While I never want to actually own one as a pet, it's been fun and interesting to see these three make their appearances.

75-blushing-.png

That sounds too cute, hope you can share the pictures here sometime!

Years
Hi, I'm Pippitha! Pip for short.
My favorite animals are cats, but I really like everything. Close favorites are hyenas, cheetahs, mountain lions, and bats.
I have a cat, but she doesn't live with me because I can't have cats here :'(
I had a fish, but I got him from walmart and he came with some weird fish disease and died along with all the others at the store. And I've been too scared to get another one because I don't want that to happen again.
And I have two cockatiels named Newbird (she's about 5 years old) and Miley (she's almost a year old). Newbird is a pied, and Miley is a whiteface pearl.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Hi, I'm Pippitha! Pip for short.
My favorite animals are cats, but I really like everything. Close favorites are hyenas, cheetahs, mountain lions, and bats.
I have a cat, but she doesn't live with me because I can't have cats here :'(
I had a fish, but I got him from walmart and he came with some weird fish disease and died along with all the others at the store. And I've been too scared to get another one because I don't want that to happen again.
And I have two cockatiels named Newbird (she's about 5 years old) and Miley (she's almost a year old). Newbird is a pied, and Miley is a whiteface pearl.

Hi Pip! Always nice to see new members here. Cockatiels are so adorable, I hear you can teach them how to sing tunes and stuff. :P Saw some videos on Youtube a while back, they could sing show tunes and whole songs, pretty impressive.

---

I've recently made the decision to adopt a second dog! Been checking out all the shelters in my area and looking through listings online nonstop for the past two/three weeks. There were a few I had my eye on, but I haven't submitted any applications yet since I'm in the process of moving and figured I should settle in to my new home before doing so.

I have a question for you guys - what is your opinion on adopting pets vs. buying?

I'm a little torn right now. I initially had my heart set on adoption, but I've always wanted a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and they seem to be so hard to come by where I live for some reason. Not just through adoption, but aren't even any Corgi breeders in all of British Columbia, if I wanted to buy a puppy. There are one or two listings of new litters on kijiji/craigslist, but I'm just not very comfortable with buying a dog on sites like that.

Come to think of it, I hardly see anyone with pet Corgis around.

Anyway, some questions for you all:
What is your opinion on adopting vs. buying?
For those of you who've adopted, did you adopt with a specific breed/kind of dog in mind, or did you just look through shelters until you found the one?
Are you a horrible person if you buy a dog (from a breeder, not a pet store) instead of adopting one?

Pet stores are banned from selling dogs where I live, so I'd have to find a breeder if I wanted to buy one anyway. Still, I feel so guilty for considering buying a puppy, but their smushy faces are so adorable and irresistible, ahh.

I dunno, I'll probably just keep my eye out for new listings. There's no rush.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
What is your opinion on adopting vs. buying? Well, I've done both. And I think of both as being kind of the same, just from different places. I mean, you're putting a dog, whether adopted of bought, into a better home.

For those of you who've adopted, did you adopt with a specific breed/kind of dog in mind, or did you just look through shelters until you found the one? Nope. First one was a lab/sheperd/beagle mix and the other is a lab/Rottweiler mix (both still living)

Are you a horrible person if you buy a dog (from a breeder, not a pet store) instead of adopting one?One simple word; NO. I think of it this way, whether you buy from a breeder, a shelter, or a pet store, you're a good person. I mean, sure in some cases it would be better to adopt a pet from a shelter or pet store, but the thing is, you do t know what they can catch from the other pet adoptees. Now don't get me wrong, depending on the breeder, their pups could be like mine; born and raised in the house until sold, or the other kind of breeder that breeds pets like dogs and leaves them out side since day 1. Then they can catch anything. So it all depends on what who or what ever does, ask questions before you adopt OR buy.
(But I'll leave this like this; it's 5:36 in the morning, and I'm sure there's a few typos in this post already.)

Years
Hi Pip! Always nice to see new members here. Cockatiels are so adorable, I hear you can teach them how to sing tunes and stuff. :P Saw some videos on Youtube a while back, they could sing show tunes and whole songs, pretty impressive.

---

I have a question for you guys - what is your opinion on adopting pets vs. buying?

There are one or two listings of new litters on kijiji/craigslist, but I'm just not very comfortable with buying a dog on sites like that.

Anyway, some questions for you all:
For those of you who've adopted, did you adopt with a specific breed/kind of dog in mind, or did you just look through shelters until you found the one?
Are you a horrible person if you buy a dog (from a breeder, not a pet store) instead of adopting one?

Sadly, it's the male birds who usually learn the songs. The females can, they just don't like to talk as much. My old bird could do the little wolf whistle, but I don't have her anymore.

And I got all my birds from craigslist. There's some good people on there, but there's some bad ones too. My old bird had her wings butchered when I got her from the lady, and they never grew back. But Newbird was really well taken care of and loved everybody and everything.

I've bought the birds from people, but I've adopted cats from the pound or just saved them off the street. My Sally cat from the pound was really feral. She hid in the closet and I never even got to pet her for an entire year, but now she's a cuddle muffin. We had a dog from the pound and she was really nice. She was a big rottweiler mix, but she's sit on you like a little puppy. I used to work at the pound, actually. I think the animals know you're saving them, and they're usually really great pets. They have to go through a lot a 'tests' before they allow them to be up for adoption. Of course, if you want a certain breed that the pound doesn't have, it's ok to find them elsewhere.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the input and info. I also volunteer at a shelter, so I'm more familiar with adopting than buying, which is another reason why I would prefer to adopt. I don't really know where to begin to look for a good, reputable breeder.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Hello, Pippitha! Nice to see you here. :) Cockatiels are amazing birds, and pretty! My late grandmother used to have one when I was younger. It lived for a pretty long time if I remember! Reading the previous post about how males learn the songs, I think she had a male cockatiel.

Mexico has a crapload of residents selling/giving away puppies and kittens for a profit. Sadly there's no law that prohibits that, but I still refrain from buying one. All the animals I have with me are all adopted. Even Serafina, who was adopted when she was only a kitten. :3 The town where I live in right now takes animal adoption seriously and outlawed animal abandonment here, so if you abandon your pet somewhere around the city, you will be fined/sent to jail. We have adoption events twice every month, so it's always nice to see peeps here adopting. It's amazing.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of giving away money just to "buy" a dog or a cat. Many breeders out there think it's a profitable way, but I tend to think about the overcrowding of all animal shelters and how they have to euthanize animals just to make room for more animals coming their way. It's sad to think about it. Always consider adoption as a first choice.

I really don't mind breeds or anything. Once I lay eyes on a puppy, I'll immediately fall in love with it.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
Who wants a puppy?!

View attachment 72521

Just kidding. unless you live in Nevada or are seriously want to come out to Vegas to get one

My dog just gave birth today. 9 healthy pups and momma is fine. In case you don't know, I have pure bred labs (pups are pure bred also) but I thought I'd share the cuteness

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Who wants a puppy?!

View attachment 72521

Just kidding. unless you live in Nevada or are seriously want to come out to Vegas to get one

My dog just gave birth today. 9 healthy pups and momma is fine. In case you don't know, I have pure bred labs (pups are pure bred also) but I thought I'd share the cuteness

CUTENESS OVERLOAD.

/dies

omg i live 6 hours away from las vegas i'd kill to see those puppies to be quite honest. ;; congratulations on the birth! Really glad to hear the mommy is doing so well. Those pups are totally going to grow up big and strong <3

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
omg i live 6 hours away from las vegas i'd kill to see those puppies to be quite honest. ;; congratulations on the birth! Really glad to hear the mommy is doing so well. Those pups are totally going to grow up big and strong <3

Well you can always come out to Vegas to see them, but I don't know if you'd want to make the trip.. And thanks for the congrats.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Kinda, sorta, returning to the discussion of adoption and dog breeds and all that, I'd like to pop up a topic if anyone doesn't mind! Do you have a special favorite dog breed? If so, what is it?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I LOVE ANIMALS I WOULD LOVE TO JOIN.

Hi I'm Altairis I've had pets my entire life and I'm studying to be a vet! Okay, well technically not yet since I'm in high school, but all of the universities I'm considering have good Animal Science/Biology programs, so I guess that counts yea? I love cats, but dogs are cool too. I've had turtles in the past, too, and they're pretty cool as well. Right now I have 3 cats and one of them is personally mine. He is awesome and adorable and I'll see if I can find a nice picture of him to show you guys!

And I'll always say black lab is favorite dog, cause the only dogs I've ever had are black labs!!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Lapras!!~ Glad to see you join, dear. :) You got a long way to go to become a vet, you should volunteer in animal shelters so you can gather all the experience in helping animals in need. Personally animal biology fascinates me a lot, so I find myself watching a lot of TV shows in relation to that!

Oh and please do show off your kitties when you can! ^__^

I've had Chihuahuas most of my life, really. Grew up with my late grandmother's old chihuahua when I lived with her in Mexico. She was really nice and cuddly...but she also ate waaaaaay too much people food (bad, I know D:). I've always wanted a beagle puppy, because I always found them to be really cute, especially with their floppy ears (actually any dog with floppy ears is really cute xD). And so, technically I do have Abby, who is a cocker spaniel, so that counts as a floppy eared doggy!

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
Do you have a special favorite dog breed? If so, what is it?

Yep. Labs are my favorite breed. i always had labs in my family (whether they were/are mixed breeds or pure-breds)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Labs seem to be quite popular. ^_^ My brother-in-law's mother has a labrador retriever, she's a VERY VERY active dog. We call her Brownie because of the typical colors of a chocolate brownie. She tackled me a few times before, so it goes to show that she's also lovable.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Lapras!!~ Glad to see you join, dear. :) You got a long way to go to become a vet, you should volunteer in animal shelters so you can gather all the experience in helping animals in need. Personally animal biology fascinates me a lot, so I find myself watching a lot of TV shows in relation to that!

Yeah, I'm already volunteering at an animal shelter/hospital right now, but only in the shelter part and in the fall when I come back I'm going to ask about my chances of transferring to the hospital area, since that's what I want to do most. And Biology is like, literally the only subject I'm naturally good at that interests me so I'm grateful for that 8)

I loooove labs, and big dogs in general. :) They're so sweet. My dog was actually originally supposed to be a hunting dog, but the rest of the family softened him up too much and he forgot everything haha.

Back