• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Shipping Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
What makes you prefer Pokémon x Pokémon ships? Just curious. Like idk I know I like those better when the 'mon's personalities are more developed (thus why I haven't found any lately- BW really gives little time to developing Pokémon). But I prefer human shippings because the canon relationships are more in-depth already I think.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
I shipped Ash and May for awhile, then Ash and Dawn. Not Iris or Misty though. Pokeon x Pokemon ships I find unappealing.

Years
I ship May x Drew forever. They're just adorable and totally meant for each other, I think! <3 Their interactions were some of the best ever and I felt they complemented each other so far. Maaan, I miss 'em.

But my other favorites are Ash x Cilan eeee these guys are just so damn cute and that Japanese ending song we got with them briefly holding hands made me smile. Sorry for not using the proper shipping names but they tend to escape me since I'm more of a casual shipper than anything else. Cilan x Iris doesn't interest me too much, nor does Ash x Iris, but Ash x Cilan clicks with me. :)

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I remember Sapphirepearlshipping was really popular when the Wallace Cup episodes originally aired back in 2008. May and Dawn had the best interactions of when a past girl came back and met a new one.

On that note it was rather disappointing how bland Misty and May's interactions were back in AG. They didn't even talk to each other much and they did more with Misty and Max instead.

Years
I'm a Pokeshipper (As I always ship Ash X Misty)
I also like a "Nevermetshipping" called Smartkidshipping (Shipping Max with Molly Hale)
But as far as canon shippings go, I'm only a Pokeshipper.
However, I'm not a big fan of Pearlshipping (Mainly because I'm not a big fan of Dawn) but anyways, I just ignore pearlshipping

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Awww Max and Molly aww that could be really cute. Depending on how arrogant she gets as she grows up haha. Like if she ends up sorta like early-PokéSpe girl-Blue (clarification is ridiculous omg) she and Max would make fantastic rivals who eventually become friends.But if she grows up super sugary sweet and pure innocence or whatever... idk. That relationship wouldn't interest me much.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Among the Cast Girl ,
I prefer Dawn for Ash .
But I would like Ash to have a Cute *****y girl as his rival who later fall for him .

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I was looking at the trailer for the XY series, now nothing is confirmed, but if one zooms in on one of the shots in the trailer you'll see Alexa, Clemont, and another little girl (possibly his sister) watching Ash's gym battle.

Point being, if the group does end up being Ash, Alexa, Clemont, and his sister...it'll certainly change some things up shipping-wise.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Honestly , I like Ash to have a Harem !
it because I just love to see all surrounding Male getting jealous seeing the Protagonist with his Harem .
That's the hilarious thing I love .
For once I like see some Guy getting of Ash for his harem and shouting '' He's Mankind Worst enemy , The popular guy !!!!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I was looking at the trailer for the XY series, now nothing is confirmed, but if one zooms in on one of the shots in the trailer you'll see Alexa, Clemont, and another little girl (possibly his sister) watching Ash's gym battle.

Point being, if the group does end up being Ash, Alexa, Clemont, and his sister...it'll certainly change some things up shipping-wise.
Eh? How do you mean? Like... do you think there will be a lack of main cast ships and an increase in popularity of rival etc ships?

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Eh? How do you mean? Like... do you think there will be a lack of main cast ships and an increase in popularity of rival etc ships?

I believe a shipping between Ash & a *****y rival will be better then main cast ship !

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
That depends entirely on the characters. But if the lineup is as Zero speculates, the rival ships will probably far out-popularize the main cast ships.

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014

Yeah, I don't think the main cast shipping's would be as popular. I mean, I really doubt Ash/Alexa will catch on, and I can't really see Ash/Clemont being popular or catch on like Ash/Cilan...though I guess it would depend on how they characterize Clemmy. Like you said, this may be a saga where the rival ships are more supported.

Of course the main cast ships might turn out popular too, I mean I wouldn't have really expected Negaishipping to not be popular and BW saw most people's preference in shipping Ash/Cilan and Iris/Cilan.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
True. The BW shipping scene was so off the norm like whoa. I think it was... CaféMocha being most popular in Japan, Wishful more popular for non-Japanese sub/original watchers, dub fans sticking to Negai, but BestWishes beating out the latter two regardless. Which is interesting because I feel like... people want to ship. And they see the BWtrio being awesome friends and turn it straight to romance, which is easy enough given their closeness and the general feeling of equality I get from those three. Like if Brock had been along in BW, Negai would have certainly been predominant because as far as I can tell, people prefer to ship with a) less of an age gap and b) less of a maturity gap. Cilan, though older than Ash and Iris, is in certain ways nearly as much of a child as they are. Brock gives off more parental vibes.
But what I was actually saying- maybe the show is going for more of a balanced group? One that's definitely straight up friendship than even hinting at romance? Like you said, I can't imagine many people taking to Ash/Alexa. If Clemont turns out to be essentially and older version of Max, I doubt Ash/Clemont will be a big thing. And let's not even go into any of them/Clemont's sister. (ಠ_ಠ)

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I think People already have enough with Main cast ship !
Unless off course , The next female cast is rich spoiled girl who run away from home after her father wanted her to engage to some idiot rich kid !
Her goal will be finding her own goal !
Her idiot Fiance also can appear in the show and mistake Ash as her boyfriend Which cause him to see Ash as his mortal enemy and always tries to beat him while Ash find him annoying and usually avoid him .

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I mean it's really not about what role the characters fill in the show, though. It's more about how they and their relationships are portrayed. What happened with Negai proves that Ash x Main Girl will not always be the popular ship just because it's Ash x Main Girl. That happened because of two things: Cilan came in and didn't use the "parental" aspect Brock always did, so CaféMocha ended up being more popular. And Ash and Iris' relationship was pretty much that of little kids on the playground.

So it's not really about people being done with a certain type of ship, it's people not shipping certain characters.

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
True. The BW shipping scene was so off the norm like whoa.

Within the first 20 (or so) episodes, I thought the main pairings where gonna shape up as Ash/Iris, and Cilan/Burgundy. Ash/Cilan seemed like it was going to replace the Ash/Main rival pairing of the saga mid-way through the saga. People hated Trip so much, so they weren't gonna pair him with Ash. As for Iris, I think mainly it was the heavy "Ur such a kid" use in the first half of the series that had the heaviest factor in Negai's lack of popularity, because many people complained about it when it was revealed to be her catch-phrase.

But what I was actually saying- maybe the show is going for more of a balanced group? One that's definitely straight up friendship than even hinting at romance?

It's possible, I mean while there were some instances fluffy stuff in BW, shipping at least to me, in BW seemed really really subtle overall...compared to the blatant stuff you'd see between Ash/Misty or May/Drew (even though he wasn't a part of the main cast). So it might be possible for them to phase shipping out completely among the main cast next gen.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Honestly , If Writer brought a Super hot girl and make her show her ''Dere'' side toward Ash then a large amount of People will support her .
That why ''Ash X Angie shipping'' has less fans then ''Ash X Dawn shipping'' even though Angie was much more closer to Ash then Dawn was.
Off course , Most people doesn't really admit it .
However It seem Writer avoid any Non-cast cute girl falling for Ash .

Doesn't it piss people off that all the non-cast girl who fallen for Ash in TV series isn't really cute at all ??? (Movie girl doesn't count)

FOR ONCE , I WOULD LIKE A NON-CAST LOVE INTEREST OF ASH WHO REALLY IS SUPER CUTE & SUPER HOT .

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 15, 2013
Why Misty left and more...

1. Why Misty left and wont return as a Main Character

Even now after 9 years, people are still asking why Misty left and whether she would be making an appearance as a main character. I am a Pokeshipper myself, and want Misty back but I know that cant happen.

Throughout seasons 1-5 it was obvious Misty and Ash had a little bit of a childish crush on each other which was continually hinted at but never directly mentioned. However this was a major sub-plot in its self, being the main plot even in some episodes. This sort of thing is very common in kids shows. A couple hint and having feelings for each other before finally admitting it and living a happily ever after. That would have been nice and was the route Pokemon was taking at that time.

This is where the problems come rolling in. This type of sub-plot (another plot running alongside the main plot) is a series ending plot. Happily ever after, Ash and Misty, end of series. Unfortunately in Pokemon this sub plot was going to finish before the actual series would end. Let me explain

The only reason the Pokemon anime was and still is made, is to promote new and upcoming Pokemon merchandise and games. Even though the show had amazing animation and fight scenes, as well as excellent characters (that being only Season 1-5). This means that so long as new Pokemon merchandise and games get produced, the series has to continue to promote these. This is why Ash and Misty's love story becomes problematic.

The problem is, a kids show cant have the main characters as a committed romantic couple. The target audience at this time was 7-12. They could relate to having a childish crush on others, but they could not relate to being in a long term relationship. This is why romances are always summed up at the end of a kids series. Example given is Digimon, characters showed hints of liking each other and at the end the main plot was finished and the romances summed up in an epilogue. This happens because it gives the kids a happily ever after that they wanted, but at the same time the kids don't see the characters as unrelatable because the kids never receive any insight on the character's relationship past the crushes and cute flirting.

Now this explains why Ash and Misty's love meant doom for the series. The writers tried and temporarily succeeded to delay this by introducing Togepi, which gave Misty more of a motherly role rather than a love interest role. This stopped the elephant in the room for a while.

However at the end of Master Quest the elephant in the room had turned into a massive blue whale with all its blubber bulging everywhere :). It wasn't that the show hinted at their love, it was the fact that there had been 275 episodes of it, and everyone watching knew there was a thing between Ash and Misty and just wanted to see them kiss already.

So the writers dug themselves into a hole. They made the mistake of introducing a series ending sub-plot and dug themselves deeper when they decided to let this SERIES ENDING PLOT develop throughout 275 episodes. So they had 2 choices. Throw in the towel and let Ash be a pokemon master win the thing and be happy ever after with Misty. Or they could scrap Misty somehow and introduce a new character (May) to promote the new games and merchandise. Nintendo needed the anime to continue the series the only choice was to scrap Misty D:

2. Why all the fans are pissed at the writers about Misty

Wouldn't you be pissed? 274 episodes of sub-plot buildup, all the time expecting the happily ever after, but oh wait no, the sub-plot suddenly dies? What enraged the fans more is 1. The Goodbye Song and 2. Misty's last words.

The Goodbye song was truly heartbreaking. If you are a fan of Pokemon and you've watched the first 5 seasons, you must watch it. The line of all lines is "You're more than just my best friend". The writers have acknowledged that they have feelings for each other but the sub-plot damn dies all the same.

Misty's last line if you were wondering is "Now I know how you really feel about me Ash". Again the writers are openly acknowledging their relationship but it dies all the same.

3. Is there any hope for Pokeshippers?

Well, the answer is yes! In a Sinnoh (Diamond and Pearl) episode Ash is very protective of Misty's special lure. So this means that the writers haven't totally forgotten about Misty and would like to finish their story. They care about that storyline and I would put my money on that it would be the ending to the final series of Pokemon. However there's a major catch... In order for this sub-plot to be completed the entire Pokemon series must end. But it can't end until Nintendo decide to stop releasing games... You see the problem?

For Pokeshippers like me to get their wish the entire Pokemon series must come to an end. Now this is not going to happen for a long time seeing that Pokemon has maintained its popularity and excitement still ensues with new releases such as X&Y. I can't really see Pokemon dying to be honest for a long time. But Pokeshippers R.I.P at the fact that Ash and Misty are the one true couple and that given the chance, they would be together :')

However there is more. We have concluded that in order for Pokeshipping to be realised, Pokemon has to come to an end. But that's not the thing that 100% has to happen. Let us not look to the life-span of Pokemon but to the life-span of Ash Ketchum. I mean really? He can't really do this forever right? By "this" I mean, every single region he has ran around collecting 8 badges and failing to face the Elite Four. Same again. Same again. And well done its gonna be the Same again. I mean the writers have said themselves, Ash is going to do nothing more than what I've explained above. But after a while its gonna get a bit iffy right? I mean failing that many times? How can he still have that ambition and determination, let alone the possibility of him losing that many times. Admittedly he has got closer and closer every time, but as I said above, just like the AAML (Ash and Misty Love) sub-plot, the real plot can't be allowed to end either because Nintendo need to promote games. Eventually its gonna get so boring and predictable that Ash has to come to an end. Then Pokeshippers may get their wish.

I mean the writers right now could take a rather big risk. There have been complaints enough about how the characters suck etc... They could wrap up AAML and introduce a new character. This may kill the series but admittedly its going downhill already and guess what happened when the writers tried to delay the AAML plot... The series is stuck in time atm, and introducing new characters would be new and fresh. Don't get excited though (IkIk I should stop crushing wishes now...), Ash and Pikachu are the icons of the show, so getting rid of them would be very risky. Suggestions have been for Ash's Son/Daughter to take over but that's too cheesy right?

Oh I'm also gonna sort of half-crush the idea that if Pokemon ends, the AAML story would finish. That's not entirely fool-proof. Saving Misty for the end is going to be treading on active waters, though. Pokemon is something that has survived so long on the mere fact that with each new generation of kids, there is a new generation to expose to Pokemon as well as generations beyond that still enjoy the games. So the short version of what I'm saying is that Pokemon is something that is virtually immortal, meaning the show might never pay off the Ash/Misty romance that it teases us with so much.

We have gone back and forth so bloody many times it is time for a summary. The writers wrote themselves into a hole. So they scrapped Misty. They managed to mess up more by making a horribly sad ending. AAML will probably finish when Pokemon finishes. But Pokemon is virtually immortal. It wont finish until Nintendo want it to, but its still very very popular. Looking at Ash ending is a possibility. Pokemon is getting bland and one dimensional so if popularity dips any of these options may come true.

"I hope they bring the Trio back for Ash's final season"

4. Why all the characters suck?

This (above) is why there is a severe lack of character growth in the later seasons as well. They know that if they allow characters to grow, then eventually they'd reach a point where they couldn't grow as a character anymore, and that would also spell doom for the series. The writers of Pokemon have even stated that they don't plan to do anything more than let Ash run around from region to region, getting his eight badges, entering the league, and then moving on to the next region (which would be from the newest Pokemon game). It's not a matter of they don't care about characterization anymore, it's that they can't allow for there to be anymore characterization. If they did, it could put them in another situation that could end the series, and that time around, simply writing off a character might not be enough to save the series. This is why Dawn has a personality of a wall and Iris is just no. I think they took May a bit too far too, I mean watch Pokemon Ranger and The Temple of the Sea and you'll know why.

This is just an example of the writers learning their lesson and making Pokemon what its meant to be, a kids show. I'm sorry but that's the truth.

Why no other Ash shipping is quite like Pokeshipping :)

Well to be honest after the AAML ordeal the writers would not have any intention to display any romantic feelings. Advanceshipping is an exception with a few occasions. All the other shippings is, is speculation. The writers, unlike Pokeshipping, never meant to make any romantic hints. Just take the goodbyes. Misty gets a song in which their feelings are acknowledged. May gets a wave. Dawn gets a wave. If you think Advanceshipping exists go take a look at "Home is where the start is" The goodbye is not really romantic or emotional, just as it is meant to be. May declares she leaves. Ash displays no sad emotions, and the goodbye is tearless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back