• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2013
I don't get it? Was there this much complaining when D/P was announced for DS?
Surely the series won't stay on one console forever, what's the big deal?

Years
Doubt it!

A lot of people who have played the games since the beginning may have given up on the franchise by now, but I don't think Pokémon will ever die... completely.

And,
I didn't look at the 3DS as a new handheld at first. Mostly because it kept the 'DS' title from it's predecessor.
I think about everyone should know now that the DS is outdated. Some have to get over the fact that the DS is old technology. (i.e. DVDs, PS2, XBOX, etc. etc.)
The 3DS took its place, and there's going to be new games that will exclusively be only for the 3DS. If so-and-so can't get over that, then that's their problem. It sucks when you get something to only have that tech replaced, but there's both good and bad sides to it. I'd rather have newer advanced systems versus sticking to the old ones. Sure, even if the old ones weren't so bad.

It depends on preference in the end. The 3DS is fairly cheap nowadays compared what it was on release, but I would never go out and buy a new handheld/console solely for one game.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
You know, there will be people who will buy a 3DS specially for Pokemon, cos I did buy a DS for Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Sold 2 3DS XLs and a regular 3DS because of Pokemon X and Y today. One of the purchases remembered me from Christmas cause I told them to get the 3DS instead of the DSi, but they got the DSi anyway. XD

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Just the opposite, it will get people to buy the system, which already has a good library and has some scheduled system sellers (this game included). It won't exclude anyone, it'll just force people to understand that 3DS =/= DS and encourage sales. Heck, it might be the best thing to happen to the 3DS, sales-wise.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
People buying Nintendo 3DS has been on the rise, I know three of my friends that actually own a Nintendo 3DS, pretty much most people are already aware that the Nintendo DS is becoming redundant, and now since Pokémon X and Pokémon Y have been announced, everyone's going to buy it as soon as possible.

I just put a pre-order on Pokémon X and Pokémon Y when I went down to EB Games today.

As for the very few people that only have a Nintendo DS or Nintendo DSi can easily trade-in their handheld device along with some of their games for a Nintendo 3DS and even a 3DS game. ;)

Nate

Evil Cute Thing
Years
Yes it will! Most of my friends and me do not have a 3ds and thherefore we are all pretty dissapointed. Only 1/3 of people that played on a ds/dsi/dsixl do not have a 3ds meaning a lot of people will not be getting pokemon x and y

infersaime

Come and get me
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
It would boost the sale of the 3DS. Here is the 3DS €157 while the DSiXL is €167 which is awkward but oh well. The 3DS is the third cheapest console here, with the Wii and PSP being cheaper. Also I bet that Nintendo will release a 3DS bundle with Pokemon X and Y. Also a lot of people bought the 3DS for Mario, Zelda or Star Fox and now there comes pokemon on it. I haven't touched my DSi XL since I bought my 3DS unless it was for Trading/Migrading.

ArcanineLink

Experienced Arcanine Trainer
Years
Definitely not. I mean, the Nintendo Direct was pretty much all about the natural progression of the series from handheld console to console. If people transitioned from GBC to GBA, I don't see why they won't transition to the 3DS. It just makes sense.

I completely agree :)
---
Also the 3DS is not as expensive as it was you can pick it up in the UK now for around £110-140. Those prices are when I bought mine 4 months ago so they could be cheaper now. You can get one for under £100 if you buy it "used". I bought my 3DS ice white for £120 new. Still like 9 months left so I am sure it will go down in price again. I think people will be able to transition fine especially since X and Y come out not long before Christmas meaning people could get a 3DS and the game(s) for Christmas. I think Pokemon X and Y will give a huge boost to the 3DS, in fact that is the only reason I have one .^_^.

Platinum Lucario

Years
Not to also mention that a Nintendo 3DS only costs about $249 here in Australia at a Kmart store, which is much more cheaper than they were when they were first released. I'm pretty sure the Nintendo DS was around $300 when it first got launched in Australia, I can't remember the exact price... but it was somewhere around that much. But also, Dick Smith stores also sell Nintendo 3DS consoles at $230 AUD, which is cheaper than Kmart.

So if consoles are around that price, pretty much most people can actually buy one, the only people that won't buy them are the ones that don't like change or just simply cannot afford one.

So either way, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y will become extremely popular and boost the sales of the Nintendo 3DS console, it will make most people really desperately want to buy a Nintendo 3DS and if they don't have enough... I'm sure they will trade in their old games along with their DS or DSi, 'cause a 3DS is indeed backwards compatible with DS games, so why need a Nintendo DSi when the 3DS pretty much has most of those things (except for Flipnote)?

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I completely agree :)
---
Also the 3DS is not as expensive as it was you can pick it up in the UK now for around £110-140. Those prices are when I bought mine 4 months ago so they could be cheaper now. You can get one for under £100 if you buy it "used". I bought my 3DS ice white for £120 new. Still like 9 months left so I am sure it will go down in price again. I think people will be able to transition fine especially since X and Y come out not long before Christmas meaning people could get a 3DS and the game(s) for Christmas. I think Pokemon X and Y will give a huge boost to the 3DS, in fact that is the only reason I have one .^_^.

That last part is really true. If they can't get them right away for whatever reason, Christmas is only 2 months away and they can ask for them there. By then, the price may be cheaper still for the system.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
I don't think it will affect the franchise at all. Like others have said, I think X & Y being released on the 3DS would increase sales. Seeing as I don't think Nintendo is releasing games for the DS anymore, I think many will move on and even be motivated to buy a 3DS because of the release of these new games. Although the 3DS is quite expensive, people need to realize that if they want to continue playing Nintendo games, they're going to have to move on to the 3DS and more enhanced systems eventually.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Not to also mention that a Nintendo 3DS only costs about $249 here in Australia at a Kmart store, which is much more cheaper than they were when they were first released. I'm pretty sure the Nintendo DS was around $300 when it first got launched in Australia, I can't remember the exact price... but it was somewhere around that much. But also, Dick Smith stores also sell Nintendo 3DS consoles at $230 AUD, which is cheaper than Kmart.
There's also the fact that Dick Smith had a sale on recently coincidentally right around the time X/Y was announced for cheaper 3DS' at $120, meaning it was even easier to get if you wanted to get a 3DS as soon as the games were announced, thus increasing purchases of the games etc.

Platinum Lucario

Years
There's also the fact that Dick Smith had a sale on recently coincidentally right around the time X/Y was announced for cheaper 3DS' at $120, meaning it was even easier to get if you wanted to get a 3DS as soon as the games were announced, thus increasing purchases of the games etc.

Wow, that's cool and really cheap too! I think many people will be probably going to Dick Smith if they're looking for a Nintendo 3DS at the lowest price, especially if Pokémon X and Pokémon Y are coming worldwide on October 2013, and probably by then it will be advertised such a lot that many people will really want to buy the game.

And probably by the time everyone has Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, not many people will have a Nintendo DS or DSi, only the ones that keep their old gaming consoles, like me. xD

The Pokémon franchise will become even more popular than ever before! It's never going to end~

Guy

just a guy
Years
Yes it will! Most of my friends and me do not have a 3ds and thherefore we are all pretty dissapointed. Only 1/3 of people that played on a ds/dsi/dsixl do not have a 3ds meaning a lot of people will not be getting pokemon x and y
Oh, I think it'll have just the opposite effect. While the members here are just a small percentage of a whole, based on quite a handful of what many are saying, they'll be purchasing the 3DS just for these games if they don't have it already ─ myself included.

3DS sales are likely to gain a boost while the games themselves might see an increase in sales numbers due to the worldwide release.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
(Everything I say will have probably already been stated somewhere in the thread, I haven't read it all)

It is 100% fair, in my opinion, to move onto the 3DS. The DS has had a fantastic run, but as soon as the 3DS was announced 2 years ago now (yes, it's been that long!) you had to see this coming; the end of the DS' life cycle. Pokémon has had two full generations on the DS, it's time to move on. If you're wanting to continue handheld gaming with Nintendo then a 3DS purchase is kind of inevitable.

As for the price "issue" well... I don't really think it's an issue at all. They're not as expensive as they used to be (back then they were, like, £220 or equivalent upon release!), and you have until October to start saving some pennies up to get one. I know it's easier for some people than it is for others, but yeah. 10 months (or just under) is quite a long time. And, I know many people will want the games as soon as they come out, but there's always Christmas. Again, I know not everyone does Christmas, and maybe the 3DS is more than you'd usually get for Christmas for some of you, but still. There are options. There's pre-owned as well. You can get pretty good deals on pre-owned consoles if you look in the right places.

As many people have said, Pokémon being on the 3DS will probably increase 3DS sales, rather than Pokémon losing sales because it's on the 3DS.

Platinum Lucario

Years
It is 100% fair, in my opinion, to move onto the 3DS. The DS has had a fantastic run, but as soon as the 3DS was announced 2 years ago now (yes, it's been that long!) you had to see this coming; the end of the DS' life cycle. Pokémon has had two full generations on the DS, it's time to move on. If you're wanting to continue handheld gaming with Nintendo then a 3DS purchase is kind of inevitable.

I agree, it's been way too long without switching to a different console. Is the Nintendo DS really the first to actually have two generations of Pokémon on there? If you don't count the Game Boy as having two generations, then it probably would be, or else otherwise generations one and two both were on the Game Boy (if you count the Game Boy Color as being the same as the Game Boy but with colours).

Many people just aren't used to change, and in my opinion... I think change is a good thing! Since Generation V actually taught me about how some change, no matter how rushed it really is... can be good. ^^

Many people that I know were actually rather surprised to see that Pokémon X and Y are on the Nintendo 3DS. But either way. And so far I have only heard a very few people that have said that Pokémon X and Y on the 3DS would lose popularity, most people especially the ones that I know are actually really excited and can't wait to get the game as soon as possible. I remember showing the trailer to one of my friends, and as soon as she saw it... she was so excited about the games. xD

I know one of my friends that may not appreciate the starter Pokémon in Pokémon X and Y, but actually appreciate them better than the ones in Unova. And everyone (including me) think all the starters are adorable. x3

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
And so far I have only heard a very few people that have said that Pokémon X and Y on the 3DS would lose popularity, most people especially the ones that I know are actually really excited and can't wait to get the game as soon as possible.

Not to mention that the Pokémon fanbase is the kind of fanbase who would go out and buy a (new) system just for that one game.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
Years
3DS is a great system with some great titles and plenty of upcoming releases that look fantastic and aren't Pokémon. I bought one about two weeks before the first price drop because I wanted the Ambassador games. It was £130 in a Brighton GameStation as "preowned" but unopened, so more or less the same price a new system would have been in some stores AFTER the cut so I guess I was fortunate. I since upgraded to an XL (£150 on eBay about a month after its release) and the system goes everywhere with me, be it for an extended Kid Icarus session, a walk into town for some StreetPass hits or a quick puzzle on Pullblox on my lunchbreak - but I don't play Pokémon DS games on it! That's what the DSi is for.

Sure, the price point may be a bit much for people who don't work full time, but I don't feel the 3DS is particularly expensive for what it is - I've loved every Nintendo handheld I've ever had but somehow this one trumps them all for me. Pokémon in October should really bolster sales, especially in the run up to the holiday season. I think the system's had enough time to get a decent install base anyway so the games should sell well as Pokémon tends to be the definitive handheld title.

Years
I don't see why it won't.. sooner of later every pokeplayer will buy one, the "DS" is already around for like 8 years and most people here have owned one... in about 5 years most of us will have a 3DS with atleast 5 games, most people are not only going to buy Pokemon there are other games like Mario(kart/bros),LOZ and the other Pokemon games for the people who like them (Ranger/Mystery dungeon) not to mention another gen remake...
for now I don't see a reason for myself to buy one but sooner or later when X/Y are out my heart will scream for it and i'll buy one..

Back