• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Aspergers Syndrome

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
Years
Unfortuantely I've never met anyone who meets these conditions, but, being serious, I'd call myself borderline Asperger's if I had to, based solely on the fact that I remember being like that in grade school. I know I didn't fit the parts of the description that mentioned using unique language, though I always was overly formal. I don't remember being too literal or insulting to the teacher out of boredom, even though I was perpetually bored of the menial work through grade school; I tended to be quiet and submissive. I was, however, incredibly socially inept and found myself unable to interact then and still not able to interact with people unless I've been forewarned that I'll have to...I can be casual at school, but not conversational. My mind locks up trying to talk about the mundane. I also did have a lot of incredibly intense interests as a child, trains and dinosaurs hit it on the head for me, and another odd one that I had at an early age was collecting and appraising coins. I wasn't gifted in any field (well, I might have been, but being from a poor family and going to a poor grade school tends to kill that sort of thing), but I do remember not even having to think to do work...so I'm sort of half-and-half on it.

John Denver

Banned
Years
I think they're smacking every little effect from bad parenting and a ridiculous growing environment with a disease label on it. How dumb...

And now every out of shape kid with a B+ average that has no friends cause they don't play sports or do anything that requires commitment and spend all day in front of the TV will think they have Aspergers...good job, pharmacists, for giving the future generation an excuse to be anti-social do-nothings.

I don't believe in this Asperger's whatever, or ADD, or any other voluntary act as a "disease"...It's called someone's personality...it's not a disease.

I'm living proof that this stuff is all bullcrap. I was Diagnosed with "ADD" and "Social Anxiety Diosorder." This calls for capital "B", capital "S"!

Drifblim

Banned
Years
I was diagnosed with it at age three. And I've noticed that I've been acting a lot differently from other kids I know, which isn't really comfort. But why should I care? At least I'm unique!

John Denver

Banned
Years
Crystal Walrein said:
I was diagnosed with it at age three. And I've noticed that I've been acting a lot differently from other kids I know, which isn't really comfort. But why should I care? At least I'm unique!

Who's to say the difference is because of the "disease?" It could very well easily be your personality.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Personally, I don't really consider Asperger's syndrome a disease per se. It's more of a personality quirk than an illness; in fact, some of its aspects can be quite beneficial to the person "afflicted" with it.

I might be a borderline Aspie. I'm overly formal, I've got quite a few obsessions, I'm socially inept, et cetera.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 8, 2013
But it makes your personality. Here's my story:

At age three I would yell, then SCREAM when I wouldn't get my way. My mother noticed this and told my father that something was wrong with me. My father disagreed and said that something was wrong with my mom and that she needed to "take a pill."

In kindergarten I was a devil; I was always on "red" on the "good behavior apple tree."

In first grade I was better but my teacher literally told my mom that she would "beat me if she could."

I kept improving centimeter by centimeter but my bad reputation remained in place. Here I am today with one friend and a serious obsession with dogs, which is also part of Asperger's. Obsession, that is. With one thing. Could be carrots, could be the color blue. With me, like I said, it's dogs. Hence my love of dog Pokemon. Of Sirius Black. Of Inuyasha, etc. Anyway, I'm also one to prefer solitude and I'm anti-social, but my friend and my teacher want me to be a "social butterfly." And I don't want to be. I hate socialites. My friend told me to read a book called "A Guide to Life for Teens." I told her, who needs a guide to life? I can have whatever life I **** well want. The end.

So you see, Asperger's can be fun yet be depressing at the same time. Aspies Unite! In fact, I know an Aspie obsessed with Pokemon... *rambling*

jc_rcw

:God:
Years
Never really heard of it, but it sounds like you said, a gift and a course since you have a great intelligence, but not very social >.>

John Denver

Banned
Years
~`PadfootPuppy`~ said:
But it makes your personality. Here's my story:

At age three I would yell, then SCREAM when I wouldn't get my way. My mother noticed this and told my father that something was wrong with me. My father disagreed and said that something was wrong with my mom and that she needed to "take a pill."

In kindergarten I was a devil; I was always on "red" on the "good behavior apple tree."

In first grade I was better but my teacher literally told my mom that she would "beat me if she could."

I kept improving centimeter by centimeter but my bad reputation remained in place. Here I am today with one friend and a serious obsession with dogs, which is also part of Asperger's. Obsession, that is. With one thing. Could be carrots, could be the color blue. With me, like I said, it's dogs. Hence my love of dog Pokemon. Of Sirius Black. Of Inuyasha, etc. Anyway, I'm also one to prefer solitude and I'm anti-social, but my friend and my teacher want me to be a "social butterfly." And I don't want to be. I hate socialites. My friend told me to read a book called "A Guide to Life for Teens." I told her, who needs a guide to life? I can have whatever life I **** well want. The end.

So you see, Asperger's can be fun yet be depressing at the same time. Aspies Unite! In fact, I know an Aspie obsessed with Pokemon... *rambling*

OMFG, what three year old DOESN'T scream when they don't get their way.

So you had behavior issues in Kindergarden...so have a billion other kids. Not everyone's the same. It was just your personality.

And that teacher...sucks

Sounds like a normal childhood to me. Nothing out of the ordinary. If you think not having many friends (which I think you're exagerating) is abnormal, it's not. It's called be anti-social, which many people are. It's not disease, it's personality.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 8, 2013
I was DIAGNOSED WITH ASPERGER'S BY A PROFFESIONAL AT EIGHT. If you knew me, you'd know what I mean. Get a life and LEARN TO BELIEVE PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT CONDITIONS THEY HAVE. I QAM NOT EXAGGERATING ABOUT HAVE ONE FRIEND. GET A LIFE, YOU FREAK, AND LEAVE US ALL ALONE. I'm sorry, but you can even ask my dad. I have Asperger's. AND I KNOW THAT I'M ANTI-SOCIAL. IT'S PART OF ASPERGER'S. SO'S THIS YELLING. And the way I "love" to argue. SO DIE AND GET A NEW LIFE.

John Denver

Banned
Years
~`PadfootPuppy`~ said:
I was DIAGNOSED WITH ASPERGER'S BY A PROFFESIONAL AT EIGHT. If you knew me, you'd know what I mean. Get a life and LEARN TO BELIEVE PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT CONDITIONS THEY HAVE. I QAM NOT EXAGGERATING ABOUT HAVE ONE FRIEND. GET A LIFE, YOU FREAK, AND LEAVE US ALL ALONE. I'm sorry, but you can even ask my dad. I have Asperger's. AND I KNOW THAT I'M ANTI-SOCIAL. IT'S PART OF ASPERGER'S. SO'S THIS YELLING. And the way I "love" to argue. SO DIE AND GET A NEW LIFE.

Let's just calm down o_o

I was just stating my point of view about all this. I'm sorry if I hurt or bothered you in anyway. My bad...I don't want to start a flame war over this.

I was diagnosed with ADD and Social Anxiety Disorder (both) when I was in 1st grade by a professional to. They wanted me all high up on drugs and ritalin and calmers and everything. My parents always just laughed it off and said I had "pain-in-the-butt" syndrome.

And it's true...I was just a little pain in the butt. There was no disease. But had my parents listened to the professional doctor, they would have spent tens of thousands of dollars over my youth to drug me up to keep me "normal."

I'm sorry if your childhood was horrible or anything because you were diagnosed with a disease. But it's personal point of view to believe that it's just your personality. You can help the way you act (unless it's a physical disease like a tumor or something)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 8, 2013
Look, I was BORN with Asperger's. I'm not normal, and I never will be. Read something, look it up. All the signs point to Asperger's. They were right. But there is no "medicine" for Asperger's. It's a personality disorder. The only reason I got mad is because I like ME the way I am. All right? I'm never going to change and I can't change. I'm sorry I got so mad.

EDIT: No, I'm not sorry.

Dakota said:
I think they're smacking every little effect from bad parenting and a ridiculous growing environment with a disease label on it. How dumb...

And now every out of shape kid with a B+ average that has no friends cause they don't play sports or do anything that requires commitment and spend all day in front of the TV will think they have Aspergers...good job, pharmacists, for giving the future generation an excuse to be anti-social do-nothings.

I don't believe in this Asperger's whatever, or ADD, or any other voluntary act as a "disease"...It's called someone's personality...it's not a disease.

I'm living proof that this stuff is all bullcrap. I was Diagnosed with "ADD" and "Social Anxiety Diosorder." This calls for capital "B", capital "S"!

MY parenting and MY growing envioronment were fine, you SOAB. I don't THINK I have Asperger's. I KNOW. I'm not stupid, got it? So quit saying I'm an "anti-social do-nothing", because I'm not. I DON'T sit around and watch TV all day. I DO try to make friends. The whole school hates me. I'm NOT EXAGGERATING. Leave this thread. Thank you. - Peeders

Last edited:

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
Years
Never really heard of it, but it sounds like you said, a gift and a course since you have a great intelligence, but not very social >.>
Actually it's both a gift and a disadvantage. You can be completely obsessed with something and be extremely gifted at it like knowing lots about Pokemon or all the capitals of the countries in the world and you could be absolutely horrible at something else. My mom's an expert on this thing. That's all I will tell and that I know a few people with it but all the rest is complicated.
I know one thing that I can relate to with this sindrone. I cannot do math one bit yet I'm smart with Social Studies, geography and english but that dont mean anything! >:<

Kurosaki

Amen to that. Before you know it we'll have the "Normal Syndrome". >>

It's just a load of crud. It has NOTHING to do with a disease or anything of that nature, it has to do with YOU, and WHO you are, despite what those professionals in white coats say.

Back