• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too similar pokémon!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I have more of a problem with Sawk and Throh being similar to each other than with the duo being a ripoff of Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee actually xD I just never got over their designs, the former two that is. They don't look like I want pokémon to look. And they are too similar for my taste, but they are a duo I guess to that's kind of like saying that Plusle and Minun are too similar.

Speaking of which, all the electric rodents are too similar imo :( They shouldn't have made all of them electric, or all of them rodents. If you get my point.

Corphish and Krabby, I don't have anything against either. I think they are a good example of how pokémon can be similar yet different due to being based on slightly different species but with the same main idea and feeling.

Clauncher? Haha I haven't even seen that one yet! I got to read up on the news I see :p

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
The only too similar pokemon I can think of is Tauros and Bouffalant. I like Tauros but Bouffalant is an ugly copy. I 'm only talking about pokemon's appearances since I don't pay much attention to the stats.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I actually like that certain Pokemon have other Pokemon that are similar. It makes you appreciate the subtle differences in each one more. And, it makes it feel like a real animal kingdom where a more realistic concept of evolution happening.

But, I will state which Pokemon I always initially thought reminded me of another.

Rhyhorn/Rhydon and Lairon/Aggron
Magikarp and Feebas

okay, I decided not to list them all. Lol

Years
I think Klink family is unnecessary, we already got Magnamite family, which is good enough for me.

I don't have a problem with Pidgey (my second favorite family), Hoothoot, Taillow or Starly, because they're a sure member on my team in each of those gens. I don't like Pidove's family design, but there is no much similarity on the birds.

Sawk and Throh should'nt even exist...

Tauros and Bouffalant do look alike... of course Tauros is better.

I'm fine with the first 3 generations rodents, I think they are based on different real-life rodents and don't have much in comon, but Bidoof and Patrat do look alike to much.

Now the bugs... Well a lot real bugs are worms which go through a metamorfosis and become something else, so there is no problem for me. But Beautifly's design is similar to Butterfree, (maybe they wanted to make a cute butterfly) still Butterfree is the best one.

I agree with the other ideas mentioned. Maybe pokémon look like others of different species in the same way that real animals does, maybe because they have a common ancestor?... (I've always think of Kabutops being ancestor to Scyther and Aerodactyl to Charizard)

Well that' just my oppinion anyway.

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
Well, most of the Pokemon that are pretty similar have already been listed (Though I do say that Tangrowth and Lickylicky have the same build and are both kind of unnecessary) and a lot of evolutions look like cheap knockoffs of the first (Seel and Dewgong, Grimer and Muk -- though I still have a fondness for them as I do with most of the beginning generations), but what's really digging into me is how a lot of the newer Pokemon have a color VERY similar to their type.

I know, there are quite a bit in the older generations, but now it is starting to appear more and more blazingly noticeable. Sure, the three new starters have somewhat of an excuse (They need to be crystal clear as to what type they are) but some of the other Pokemon just have an uncreative color tagged to an uncreative form. Flabebe and Clauncher have their types written across their palette with seemingly hardly a thought put into them.

Back