• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Absolutely fantastic answers, thank you so much for the help. Our hack is still quite a ways off, it's still in the planning stages, so I'm willing to wait.

I guess I'll give up on Gen 4, then, and focus on Ruby/Sapphire. I was indeed referring to a second region, such as Kanto is to Heart Gold. I was originally told by a friend that you cannot "add" to rom hacks, simply "modify", so I wasn't sure that was possible. Glad to know it is!

Well, thank you so much for all your help! Now I've got a point to start learning! Watch for our hack in the Progression's area, once we get something actually concrete! Thanks again, Speedster!

Your welcome. If you have any more questions feel free to ask the the thread Repede! ;)

OMGWURMPLES!

För Sverige i tiden
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
Okay, so I think I have a few problems:
First, where can I get a FireRed rom that actually has the offsets I need to use? I try to find the music table (is that what it's called?) according to a tutorial, but my hex editor can never find the offset... and when I manually go look for it, it's not there.
Also, I changed a few things in the title screen. Opens fine the first time in unLZ-GBA, but the second time I open it, all the things are screwed up, like, the pallete is weird, things aren't where they should be, etc. I've had to redo everything several times due to the roms just FREAKING out. I can never open it a second time and get it to be, well, NORMAL.
Is there any way to fix these two things?

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Okay, so I think I have a few problems:
First, where can I get a FireRed rom that actually has the offsets I need to use? I try to find the music table (is that what it's called?) according to a tutorial, but my hex editor can never find the offset... and when I manually go look for it, it's not there.
Also, I changed a few things in the title screen. Opens fine the first time in unLZ-GBA, but the second time I open it, all the things are screwed up, like, the pallete is weird, things aren't where they should be, etc. I've had to redo everything several times due to the roms just FREAKING out. I can never open it a second time and get it to be, well, NORMAL.
Is there any way to fix these two things?
First, you can't discuss where to get ROMs here so all I can say is search google for "FireRed English ROM" because most tutorials are about English ROM.

Next make sure you click "Write to ROM" when you are finished editing. Just to ensure that all your changes are saved and saved in the write place.

OMGWURMPLES!

För Sverige i tiden
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
First, you can't discuss where to get ROMs here so all I can say is search google for "FireRed English ROM" because most tutorials are about English ROM.

Next make sure you click "Write to ROM" when you are finished editing. Just to ensure that all your changes are saved and saved in the write place.

Yes, I have an english rom, but it seems to be missing several things when I open it up with a Hex editor.
I got the other things to work.
Now something else has come up (I'm such a noob D:)
It won't write my tile map to the rom, even when I find free space and such. It never gives me the confirmation message or anything.
Is there a way to fix that? fad;lkfj

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Yes, I have an english rom, but it seems to be missing several things when I open it up with a Hex editor.
I got the other things to work.
Now something else has come up (I'm such a noob D:)
It won't write my tile map to the rom, even when I find free space and such. It never gives me the confirmation message or anything.
Is there a way to fix that? fad;lkfj
Well try to get it from a different source. I had this when I originally started hacking. Just try one from a bunch of different sources.

As for the tile map, are you still working with Unlz.gba?

OMGWURMPLES!

För Sverige i tiden
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
Well try to get it from a different source. I had this when I originally started hacking. Just try one from a bunch of different sources.

As for the tile map, are you still working with Unlz.gba?

Yes, I am.
What do you mean, a bunch of different sources? I've tried about 10-15 different offsets (is that the right term? Ugh) and none of them work.

Also, what's the maximum amount of new sprites you can put into a game?

Last edited:

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Yes, I am.
What do you mean, a bunch of different sources? I've tried about 10-15 different offsets (is that the right term? Ugh) and none of them work.

I mean get a different FireRed English ROM from many different 'websites' if that explains it better. If the offsets still do not work tell me. It could be that they are using a different language of the ROM or you aren't searching thee offsets right.

OMGWURMPLES!

För Sverige i tiden
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
I mean get a different FireRed English ROM from many different 'websites' if that explains it better. If the offsets still do not work tell me. It could be that they are using a different language of the ROM or you aren't searching thee offsets right.
I found what was wrong.
Is there a maximum to the amount of new overworlds we can put into the game?
Also, in this topic it says, "Okay back to the second sprite data with our large offset we need to make this a pointer by reversing the bytes so for me it would be 00 00 82 08 next we need data size which is equal to (height*width)/2 with the bytes reversed."
What does this mean? It's talking about making new overworlds.
Sorry for so many questions, I'm new at this.

droomph

weeb
Years
I found what was wrong.
Is there a maximum to the amount of new overworlds we can put into the game?
Also, in this topic it says, "Okay back to the second sprite data with our large offset we need to make this a pointer by reversing the bytes so for me it would be 00 00 82 08 next we need data size which is equal to (height*width)/2 with the bytes reversed."
What does this mean? It's talking about making new overworlds.
Sorry for so many questions, I'm new at this.
Bah, try this one.

Years
I am rather new to the hacking world, and I have 2 very basic questions:

1: How do I make a patch for a game?
2: Whenever I play a save file of a pokemon game, I recieve a "The file has been currupted. The previous save file will be loaded" message. How to I fix this, and could this have any effect on gameplay (Such as game deleating after E4)?

~Thanks~

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
I am rather new to the hacking world, and I have 2 very basic questions:

1: How do I make a patch for a game?
2: Whenever I play a save file of a pokemon game, I recieve a "The file has been currupted. The previous save file will be loaded" message. How to I fix this, and could this have any effect on gameplay (Such as game deleating after E4)?

~Thanks~
1: Its usually the same for IPS, UPS, or APS. Just download either A-Ptch, UPS Patcher, or Lunar-IPS. Then you have to open one up, click "Create Patch," then select the original file you didn't modified (Blank FireRed, Ruby, ect.), then select the game you did modify and finally pick a place to save the patch at.

2: I'm not 100% but I could recommened going to Options>Emulator>Save Type>Flash 128K

OMGWURMPLES!

För Sverige i tiden
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
I feel so stupid.
When I insert sprites in the Overworld editor, I can insert one, but when I insert the other, the first one's palette gets really messed up. When I go back and reimport it, the other one's palette gets messed up in turn.
Am I importing them incorrectly?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I feel so stupid.
When I insert sprites in the Overworld editor, I can insert one, but when I insert the other, the first one's palette gets really messed up. When I go back and reimport it, the other one's palette gets messed up in turn.
Am I importing them incorrectly?

If I recall, OverWorld sprites share a certain number of pallettes, so by changing the pallette of one, it changes it for others too, as the number of pallettes are restricted so they share.

OMGWURMPLES!

För Sverige i tiden
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
If I recall, OverWorld sprites share a certain number of pallettes, so by changing the pallette of one, it changes it for others too, as the number of pallettes are restricted so they share.
It does that even between frames of the same sprite, though.

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
It does that even between frames of the same sprite, though.

I had this same problem awhile ago. Its because they have the same colors in there pallet but the colors are in a different order. To fix this you can use NSE 2.X and the Color Match Plug-in. Just open the first frame first and then open the others and color match them.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years

Just a question related to this tutorial, because it doesn't explain how to make different sized OWs. In most cases, a 32x32 sprite (which is what was taught in the tutorial) works fine, but I need to make a couple 64x64 sprites for my Rom Hack. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Also, in reference to the saving question above. Whenever I save in my hack, it says "Save error, please exchange the backup memory". The memory is set at flash 128k, and it continues to happen. I also tried ShinyGold, and IT wouldn't let me save either, citing the same error. Is it the emulator that's the problem? I don't know of any other emulators with a RTC...

Edit: I'm using VBA

Last edited:

OMGWURMPLES!

För Sverige i tiden
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
I had this same problem awhile ago. Its because they have the same colors in there pallet but the colors are in a different order. To fix this you can use NSE 2.X and the Color Match Plug-in. Just open the first frame first and then open the others and color match them.

Ooh, okay. Thanks! I'll try that.

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Just a question related to this tutorial, because it doesn't explain how to make different sized OWs. In most cases, a 32x32 sprite (which is what was taught in the tutorial) works fine, but I need to make a couple 64x64 sprites for my Rom Hack. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Also, in reference to the saving question above. Whenever I save in my hack, it says "Save error, please exchange the backup memory". The memory is set at flash 128k, and it continues to happen. I also tried ShinyGold, and IT wouldn't let me save either, citing the same error. Is it the emulator that's the problem? I don't know of any other emulators with a RTC...

Edit: I'm using VBA
Spoiler:

This is the code for a OW given in the tutorial. Height and Width are given. 0010 by 0020 is the same as 16x32. So just do 0040 by 0040 for height and weight.

As for the save file I'm not sure right now but I know you could use the VBA Save Files instead of the in-game save files. I'll try to see what's the problem.

OMGWURMPLES!

För Sverige i tiden
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
I have a problem with Visual Boy Advance not exporting palettes as .act files.
It absolutely refuses to, even if I click the ".act" thing in the scrolldown.
If I click that, it exports it as a half-functioning .pal file that doesn't even open up right.
Help?
Ugh, this is hard ;A;

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
I have a problem with Visual Boy Advance not exporting palettes as .act files.
It absolutely refuses to, even if I click the ".act" thing in the scrolldown.
If I click that, it exports it as a half-functioning .pal file that doesn't even open up right.
Help?
Ugh, this is hard ;A;
I tried this and it doesn't work for me either. I'm not sure what you would need it for but if its Intro Sprites I think I can recommend an easier method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back