• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Innovations in the battle system

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Every generation that succeeded 1st gen so far has introduced something new to the battle system, be it in terms of content, such as new types, or in terms of structure. Here is a short but extensive list:

1st gen: Started it all. :P
2nd gen: Genders, new types, slight revision of the type chart, but, more importantly, the split of the Special stat into Special Attack and Special Defense.
3rd gen: Overhauled the IV system, introduced EVs as a replacement to the old stat experience system, introduced natures and abilities, introduced double battles.
4th gen: The physical/special split in which the attribute of a move was given to the move rather than its type.
5th gen: Introduced triple and rotation battles, and hidden abilities.

Based on this record, I believe we'll see yet again a change to the battle system, considering the 3DS is a more powerful console, with more possibilities. Therefore, I ask: what is the modification to the battle system do you expect Gamefreak to introduce in the new games?

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
It's actually be officially stated that there's gonna be some way to increase your Pokemon's battle abilities through "bonds". No idea what that actually means yet, though.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
It's actually be officially stated that there's gonna be some way to increase your Pokemon's battle abilities through "bonds". No idea what that actually means yet, though.
Every time I think of bonds improving battle abilities, I keep thinking of Full Synchro from MegaMan Battle Network. =P

Anyway, I was just thinking about new changes to the battle system today. I was wondering if we might finally get new messages specifically for quad damage or quarter damage. I mean, right now we have "It's super-effective!" for double and quad damage and "It's not very effective..." for half and quarter damage. I'd be interested in seeing "It's ultra-effective!!" for quad damage and "It's barely effective...." for quarter damage. True, it might be a minor aesthetic change, but I think it would still add something fresh to the game.

Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2013
Better system for training pokemon?

Hey guys I caught wind on this idea a few weeks back and I looooove it. Rather than having to breed, pray for a benificial nature, and EV train until all your eyes bled. How about taking full happieness/ trust to the next level, and pokemon that have been with you the longest - We all have at least one who have been with us from the very beginning of our journey - will be able to correct a bad nature, or perhaps be able to perform trails of sorts to gain bonus XP to a stat or ability. I figure this would work best on a time scale. So our starter having loged 50 hours of battles and being in our main six, will be able to match that of a previous generation EV beast.

I'm not saying take EVs out at all, but I think this would give us who are more casual gamers, or frankly don't have the patience to EV train. Also, pokemon from first and second gen who's stats seem to be rather low with the 3rd, 4th, and 5th generation beefcakes coming into play. I know that this isn't entirely true, but I feel that this would give us a whole new way to keep the pokemon we love from becoming that disappointing glance of... "I love you... but you're not as strong as you could be." I have personally had that thought in my past, I'm not sure about anyone else.

I'm personally hoping Nintendo gets wind of this. XD But what are your thoughts?

((Dream team Exploud, Nidoking, Tyranitar, Armaldo, Aggron, Starraptor/Scarmory (I go back and forth)))

Guy

just a guy
Years
Was trying to figure out what to do with your thread, RoaringFlameCat, since there's a few that can cover this topic well enough. That said, I think merging it into Innovations in the Battle System would probably be move given the recent discussion that has come up there.

Off you go!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
X/Y add Battle Royal and 4vs4 pokemon battles, then we gonna end up with 5vs5 and finally 6vs6.

If you can remove the deleted one on top of it, it would be great.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
I was just thinking today about the current battle system we have now, and decided to post my thoughts here:

I noticed how there's been a lot of controversy around the move Stealth Rock, ever since the move saw a lot of use competitively. From what I understand, while the move cripples a lot of Pokemon due to their type, it was a necessary defense for Flying-type Pokemon that would otherwise avoid moves like Spikes and Earthquake.

The problem with Stealth Rock is how it has become a primary reason for why some Pokemon are overlooked competitively; how many times have you heard of a Pokemon being overlooked prominently because it was "SR weak"? I feel like that's a real problem for the competitive metagame; this is Pokemon, there should always be more monsters to choose from, not less. And when a single move is prominent enough to prevent certain types of Pokemon from seeing competitive use, I think that's some bad game balance.

I feel like Stealth Rock needs to be altered to accommodate a new strategy: instead of dealing more damage based on type, it should only hit Flying-types and Levitators for 1/8 of their max HP and make it stackable for a maximum of two layers, thereby dealing 1/4 of the max HP (like how Toxic Spikes can go from being poisonous to toxic with a second layer). Also, make it triggerable through methods other than a Pokemon being sent out, so that if a Pokemon levitates via a move like Telekinesis or if Gravity wears off, or if a Pokemon changes its type to Flying, Stealth Rock can activate, which would lend to some potentially annoying new strategies with Telekinesis and Gravity. Basically, turn Stealth Rock into an anti-air version of Spikes.

Of course, by changing the rules of Stealth Rock, some Pokemon would no longer take any SR damage, like Volcarona, Chandelure and Venomoth, which will probably affect how much use they'd get. On the other hand, Levitators with no SR weaknesses are no longer safe, which means there will be Pokemon that can no longer safely switch into an Earthquake. So in that way, Rapid Spinners are still very useful; it's just that they'll be protecting some different Pokemon now, and some Pokemon that were weak to SR before might hopefully see some more use.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
SR is funny as it affects Pokémon that are weak against Rock but Spikes (correct me if I'm wrong here) doesn't affect Pokémon that are weak against ground in the same way...perhaps to "fix" it they should simply make it work like Spikes.

I can't think of much things they could try to change in the system without adding new types that is...

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2016
I think there should be a total overhaul on the battling style. Rather than tuen based real time battling with dodge as a command and being able to pull of combo moves as well as the option of moves interactinv with the environment. So more like the anime series :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
SR is funny as it affects Pokémon that are weak against Rock but Spikes (correct me if I'm wrong here) doesn't affect Pokémon that are weak against ground in the same way...perhaps to "fix" it they should simply make it work like Spikes.

I can't think of much things they could try to change in the system without adding new types that is...

Uhhh then Charizard for example would be way strong and SR would be way less necessary. :x I think they should keep SR how it is otherwise certain mons would be broken imo.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
...They should make it so wild shinies have 100 percent catch rates. They're rare enough already!
I would also like to see a move/item that forces your opponent to switch their active pokemon with your active pokemon. After the battle, all pokemon go to their original owners. Just think about that move/item...it'd be sooo fun/troll-ish to use in competitive battling! :)

Cassiopeiia

Floating
Years
I think they should change the way EVs are distributed. Does anyone bar sadomasochists actually enjoy EV-training?
I don't see why we can't simply distribute the EVs manually upon leveling up, like most RPGs allow. This would also address the issues the Roaring Flame Cat pointed out; how your most beloved Pokémon usually also end up as your most sucky.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
you forgot to mention for gen 5 the move (no pun intended) away from regular sprites onto moving characters. i think we will see more innovation on that front. for example in the current gen, the pokemon do one or two movements repetitively. id like to see full range movement to where it feels more real, as if the pokemon is actually there. that would be, to put it in the original mr sukizo's terms, "remarkable!"

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2019
How about more moves a pokemon can learn. 6 maybe 8. Ability to control pokemon outside of battling. Where they can do cool stuff kinda like Mystery Dungeon. It adds a whole new element to the game

Years
One cool feature would be this, if we could actually command our Pokemon to dodge an attack. Also instead of "clicking" on the move we want, it would be awesome if we could use the microphone to command our Pokemon.
That would be a revolution to the battle system!

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
I'm pretty sure the most realistic we're going to get is going to be on par with PBR's (even though Gamefreak had no part in this, I believe), or maybe slightly above that, but I wouldn't really hope for anything astronomical or groundbreaking otherwise. Though that's just me.
i know that but i can dream cant i? the graphics weve seen for xy so far arent astounding to say the least and i would like to see an improvement there hopefully. obviously pokemon arent real so graphics cant get TOO real but it can be done. its just about how much effort gamefreak is willing to put into it.

CrossZero

Master Bonder
Years
I hope they make something innovator, something to shock the fnas and make it the best battle system, but i don't know what can they do to reach that point, but they are nintendo, they could do anything.

I hope they surprise me!

See ya​

Back