• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dependent events (Starter kit help)

Kunoichi

The one who dreams alone
Years
[Solved RE: Dependent events]

I am really stuck on how to make dependent events work. I have tried for the entire day to figure out why this little bit of code won't work for me.

All I want is for one character to follow and help the main player. I have read the Pokemon essentials Wikia page and it still doesn't make sense. T_T

I've tried making new trainer types, new encounters, replacing some of the older trainers/types... It's just a big mess.

I'm using the newest version of the starter kit (December 23rd).

I keep getting error messages:

Spoiler:

I've even read the error message, about the line and have done a million different things (okay, that's an exaggeration but still) to change the 'line' that seems to bother the program, but still doesn't work. *sobbing*

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I've even read the error message
You can't have done, because the error message tells you how to solve your problem. You also haven't searched this forum for similar errors, because if you had you would have found the recent thread about this exact same problem which includes a fuller explanation from me.

At the moment you have this:
Code:
pbRegisterPartner
(PBTrainers::Pokemontrainer_Leaf,"Ita
chi",
0)
It needs to look like this:
Code:
pbRegisterPartner(
PBTrainers::Pokemontrainer_Leaf,
"Itachi",0)
Notice how, at the end of each line, there is either a bracket or a comma. That's important.

An alternative is the other thing the error message suggested, which is to use ExtendText to make the code box really wide, and then put this code all on the same line:

Code:
pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::Pokemontrainer_Leaf,"Itachi",0)
Pick an option and go for it.

Kunoichi

The one who dreams alone
Years
Okay, after some tweaking and a lot of messing around in the game editor (mostly my own fault with confusing some trainer types), I've finally got it working.
I did read it, but you're right, pressing the backspace key didn't work. Thank you so much for the prompt response and solving it.

Also, what do you mean by extend text?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
It's a program called ExtendText.exe in the game's main folder. Running it while RMXP is open will cause all event message boxes and event script boxes to become larger, allowing you to fit more in. The effect lasts until you close RMXP.

Back