• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Noob Problems

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
I had a seadra once in my ruby. I didn't know how to evolve the seadra so I kept training it not knowing that the only way was to trade it with dragon scale. I was all "facepalm" when my classmate told me how.

Years
It's been a long time since I first played, so I've probably forgotten quite a few of my noob moments. One that really sticks out though is when I was playing Yellow and trying to catch Mewtwo. I guess I had no concept that the Master Ball could catch anything without having to weaken it, so I always tried to battle it first. I remember getting frustrated when I knocked it out, and I must've tried 4 or 5 times before I felt it's HP was low enough to try the Master Ball (and I caught it, obviously).

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
The first time I ever played my Blue (I was between 4-5 yrs old) I couldn't even figure out how to leave Pallet Town....

Years
What guy above me said. I know the feeling, my first game was Sapphire, but issue is the same. There was a guy who wouldn't let you move forward from the first town because he was sketching some footprints or something. I hated him, I tried doing literally everything except the obvious, going to prof. lol

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 5, 2021
In Gen I, I didn't know what to do after I left Pallet Town and made it to Viridian City. So I just wandered around the grass in Route 1.
Didn't know how to beat Brock in Yellow because I couldn't understand why Electric types couldn't affect Geodude and Onix.
After I got my 4th badge I had absolutely no idea on what to do next, mainly getting rid of the Snorlax blocking my path. Didn't find that out until I played Blue version. But by that time, my Pokemon were well into the 50s.

And of course the more popular actions of just training your Starter Pokemon and relying that one Pokemon to somehow win me the Pokemon League.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
When I was "borrowing" my brother's Pearl game, I caught a Roselia in the Trophy Garden, nicknaming it Princess. I leveled it up to about level 60 before realizing that it needs a stone to evolve to Roserade. Also, I didn't know fighting was super effective against ice, and I KO'd a shiny sealeo.

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Thinking Charizard was good Pokemon.

As I later discovered the only thing good about it was the design.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I started playing Pokemon when i was 9, so there were plenty of derpy moments xD

1) I taught my best pokemon useless HM's, like Charizard with cut and Pikachu with Flash
2) I didn't realize Attacks have PP's, and couldn't figure out why i wasn't allowed to use one anymore

Demon Days

Element of Magic
Years
Funnily enough, I had no real newbie moments. That's probably because I would always watch my older half-brother play his Pokémon games, so I learnt from his mistakes. Apart from not using a Grass/Electric type against Water types. Any time I'd play his Gold I'd get stuck at Ecruteak, trying to beat Silver.

tnfsf11

1. Never knew that rugs are doors.

2. Kept training my Porygon while letting it hold the "Up-Grade" hoping that it will evolve, but it didn't cuz you have to trade it HOLDING that item.

3. Killed the shiny red Gyarados, I thought he was some kind of obstacle in the game that I must get rid of to proceed.

4. Teached my starter HM moves, specifically cut & flash, not knowing that they won't be deleted until later in the game.

5. Never knew the Day-Care Center was a "breeding" place for Pokemon. ;)

6. Caught a Pikachu & thought that it would be badass like in the anime...

***Ruby***:

1. Never knew what natures & abilities were, until I was halfway through the game trying to train a jolly Spinda.

2. Thought that the game will be like Gold, you travel to the previous region(s) after the Elite Four, so I held my breath for a Porygon from Kanto's Game Corner.

3. Kept training a Magikarp until it finally became a Gyarados but for some reason it sucked and didn't slay like in Gold.

Too much screw-ups for someone with an internet connection, right? :P

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
As a kid I wouldn't mainly focus on training my starter making it 10-30 levels higher than my other Pokemon in my party. Then I'd try winning the E4 with just that Pokemon but it would always end up fainting. Then my other Pokemon would be at weak levels, too weak to be able to defeat level 40-60 Pokemon and would faint quickly.

Also using a Normal type move on a Ghost Pokemon not knowing Normal types don't affect Ghost type Pokemon. I'd use to make that mistake all the time.

Isom

Kari Byron is still my lady.
Years
As a kid I wouldn't mainly focus on training my starter making it 10-30 levels higher than my other Pokemon in my party. Then I'd try winning the E4 with just that Pokemon but it would always end up fainting. Then my other Pokemon would be at weak levels, too weak to be able to defeat level 40-60 Pokemon and would faint quickly.

Also using a Normal type move on a Ghost Pokemon not knowing Normal types don't affect Ghost type Pokemon. I'd use to make that mistake all the time.

I had the same problem as the first one you listed. I never understood what I was doing wrong and if you actually managed to beat the first E4 trainer you're cursing out loud because everything is dead or frozen. I say frozen because if I remember correctly that "Ice Lady" was the first trainer in Pokemon Blue.

My other noob moment was when I thought I had done something wrong to cause Entei, Raikou, and Suicune to run away. I was so mad and so I started a new game and literally took forever to get back there to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah...two main ones really.

Firstly, expecting to find a pokémon in the pokéballs lying on the ground.

Secondly, somehow failing to pass Slateport City for months on Emerald (my brother tried and couldn't either). I kept playing until I got my starter to its final stage, then would restart.

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
Years
Not talking to the people in towns and thus not getting the needed HM's to pass and eventually having to walk all the way back (horrible! DX<).

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Not talking to the people in towns and thus not getting the needed HM's to pass and eventually having to walk all the way back (horrible! DX<).

Now that you mention it, getting HMs back then was a lot harder, and the first time i played Yellow i didn't know there was Flash and went through the caves in the dark. I guess the newer games made this a lot easier, since you are basically given every HM without any effort

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I posted this particular one in a thread concerning shinies:

I ran from a shiny Unown in Pokemon Gold. This was about 11 years ago, and I never knew that shinies were any special, and it seemed to look the same, just sparkling. This also happened to be my first shiny experience. xD

Another one, also around 11 years ago:

I restarted my entire game of Pokemon Red once because I couldn't get out of Victory Road, and I assumed I got stuck somehow.

Years
My first game was Sapphire and it took me about two weeks to figure out how to get the hell out of the removalist truck at the very start. and by then i had brushed it off as a stupid game. then my sister figured out how to get out and i fell in love with that game!

Back