• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Half Empty or Half Full

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Ah, here is something I've really thought about a bit and it confuses the crap out of me O.o

Is a cup half full the same as a cup half empty?
Is it the same if you grow larger as it is if the entire world shrinks?
Does the universe have a border? If so, what is there beyond that border? Nothing you say? Where does that nothing end? >_>
<Insert completely mind damaging question here>

I know this is a weird topic which is why I'm very intrigued to see what discussion will spawn :3 There are so many ways this can go so discuss GOGOGOGOGOGOGO :3

Last edited:
Years
Depends how you mean. In the literal sense they are technically the same thing if you ask me. Since both refer to a glass being full and empty in equal degrees. Figuratively they are entirely different as I'm sure you well know. Glass half full is an optimistic outlook and glass half empty is a pessimistic outlook.

I was unsure if this question was meant to be literal or figurative so that's the best answer I can give you right now.

Years
It's just a phrase you use to say if someone is a positive ("I still have half left") or negative ("I've lost half") outlook. They mean the same thing literally, although if you had a full cup and drank half of it you'd probably more likely say it's half empty because you're in the process of emptying it, and just the opposite for a cup you're filling up. It's also an example of how two people can look at the same thing and come away with different views of what it is, how your outlook shapes your perception.

Echidna

Years
Well more or less I don't mean in a physical sense. See think about it this way, if the world shrinks, what happened to the space it used to occupy? Is there just more empty space? Or did that space shrink with the world? If that space shrank, what is left in its place?
Mind = Blown

There are lots of other matters similar to this that are more or less at a cosmic scale that cannot be explained. I kinda worded the OP wrong, forgot to mention that I was meaning for a discussion about all this weird unexplainable stuff. Some people say it's impossible to know this because we are of limited knowledge. Was hoping to see what people thought about this lol.

Years
Well as far as that goes we'll never be able to truly comprehend these things because we are too small and insignificant to view events at a large scale like that. If the entire universe were to shrink who's to say what would occupy the area it once inhabited or even if it inhabits an area at all. Most likely we wouldn't even notice since we are in such a small section of the universe.

I THINK that is what you were getting at.

Echidna

Years
Well as far as that goes we'll never be able to truly comprehend these things because we are too small and insignificant to view events at a large scale like that. If the entire universe were to shrink who's to say what would occupy the area it once inhabited or even if it inhabits an area at all. Most likely we wouldn't even notice since we are in such a small section of the universe.

I THINK that is what you were getting at.

Yes but what if the whole universe shrinks (Which it will according to the reverse-big bang theory), what will be outside the borders? ;o

Years
We'll never know. It is beyond our capabilities to comprehend anything like that we can imagine all sorts of strange things but the truth is something we'll never be able to reach. Besides in the event of a "Big Crunch" we'll all be dead anyway so I wouldn't worry to much.

Years
It all depends on your philosophical stand point. But technically the glass is always full, half air, half wine..

And YOU are the centre of the Universe. ALWAYS.
Think about this, your head has been in EXACTLY the same position for your entire life. every time you turn your head you are rotating you body which rotates the earth and the Universe around you.
Every time you walk somewhere you are staying in the same position you're just rotating the Earth under your feet and because the Earth is so large it just looks like you're moving.

As for the Universe and borders; we have no idea what is beyond the cosmic background radiation at the furthest reaches of space. They may very well be hiding the end of the Universe.
On the other hand you may want to consider the Universe as a 4 dimensional object as opposed to the 3 dimensional space we perceive.
This would imply that every point in the Universe is connected to every other point in the Universe in the 4th Dimension. And so therefore you may decide to travel in a straight line trajectory to the ends of the Universe only to wind up back at Earth significantly sooner than you had initially anticipated.

EDIT:
Well more or less I don't mean in a physical sense. See think about it this way, if the world shrinks, what happened to the space it used to occupy? Is there just more empty space? Or did that space shrink with the world? If that space shrank, what is left in its place?
Mind = Blown

Are you talking about compression of the Earth or about the Earth spontaneously losing mass?
In either case you've got mass extinction on your hands.
Compression would result in the crust becoming super-heated from increased Geothermal energy and would vaporise all liquid water on the surface as well as magma spewing out of weak points in the crust.
But if Earth lost enough mass for it to be significantly measurable, the amount of energy that would be released would be so incredible it would be like a tiny supernova.
You know, because E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2

What would happen to the space though?
There is very very little pressure in space. So so little pressure. The relatively minuscule size of the Earth losing volume is not going to have much of an effect on the rest of Space. It's like dropping a needle in a haystack and then measuring how much the Earth moved because of it.

Last edited:

Ice Car

Banned
Years
Isn't this just a phrase that is used to see if a person thinks positively, as in the glass being half full, or negatively, as in the glass being half empty? I wouldn't look too much into it...

Crux

Evermore
Years
I don't give a crap if it's half-full or half-empty,my question is....are you gonna drink that?

Years
Isn't this just a phrase that is used to see if a person thinks positively, as in the glass being half full, or negatively, as in the glass being half empty? I wouldn't look too much into it...

Yes exactly, but it's the philosophy that it inspires rather than the phrase itself that is this thread.

Echidna

Years

I'm not referring to the expression, rather the philosophy as Plumpyfoof said.

.Skylight.

Through & Beyond
Years
I have the tendency to say "half full," there has never been a time I said "half empty." Using the phrase "half empty" doesn't suit me and if I used it, it would bother me because it feels wrong if they makes sense. I'm generally a positive person.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Is a cup half full the same as a cup half empty?

I'd have to say no. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think it has something to do with the cup.

Is it the same if you grow larger as it is if the entire world shrinks?

The world doesn't shrink.

Does the universe have a border? If so, what is there beyond that border? Nothing you say? Where does that nothing end? >_>

There are many mysteries to be discovered. That's why I became a Pokemon professor. Life has many things that we don't know about, and the universe is one of them. But no I don't know if the universe has a border.

Years
The world doesn't shrink.

Whilst not proven there is a leading apocalyptic theory called "The Big Crunch". It's the opposite to the Big Bang Theory (that could be a sequel o.O). It basically says the world will finish expanding and then collapse back on itself crushing everything back together into a single point. Just so you know.

I'm surprised that so many people have posted on this topic (no offence)... It is strangely fascinating isn't it?

Years
Whilst not proven there is a leading apocalyptic theory called "The Big Crunch". It's the opposite to the Big Bang Theory (that could be a sequel o.O). It basically says the Universe will finish expanding and then collapse back on itself crushing everything back together into a single point. Just so you know.

I'm surprised that so many people have posted on this topic (no offence)... It is strangely fascinating isn't it?

Fix'd

But I think it be more plausible if the Universe continued to expand to such a degree that all the points looped back on themselves and finishing back as the singularity they originated from. 4th dimensional space has some weird outcomes.

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
This entire thread is illogical. The cup is full the entire time. Halfway with liquid, halfway with air. It is very simple... Tch.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
It's all a matter of perception. Something is only big if you are small in comparison. And something can only be half full if it is also half empty. Why is there a thread about this?

Last edited:
Years
This entire thread is illogical. The cup is full the entire time. Halfway with liquid, halfway with air. It is very simple... Tch.

This thread is philosophy not physics. We're talking about perception not facts, the way in which someone interprets the saying, not the glass itself.

It's all a matter of perception. Something is only big if you are small in comparison. And something can only be half full if it is also half empty. Why is there a thread about this?

So that we can develop a better understanding of philosophical standings using specific examples.

This thread isn't just about the cup, or the shrinking of the Earth, we're discussing the implications of having both scenario's possible with a 100% chance of being either. You can discuss anything that intrigues you about the Universe and they way we perceive it in this thread.

Back