• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2020
I have an easy question. What's going to be in DR 2? Sorry I haven't been looking at the thread. But this game is amazing. I haven't played it in a while but I'm going to start playing it again. I'm glad it got into the showcase and everything :D

Years
So she has gone no matter guys. As I am writing a walk through for this hack I am here to help those who are stucked and also if I could not then there are two or three people I know who will.
Just posting the screenies for DarkRisingGirl when she is back.

Look at the missing tiles I found inside IceLand city:
2817rdv.jpg
2hhkcv4.jpg

zy5zcw.jpg
wlsthe.jpg

2cxw5sz.jpg
o90r4n.jpg

2wce5pl.jpg

loonie23

Pokemaniac™
Years
alienhunterx can you help me i just finish the 8th gym
leader what do i do next?
Leader said that i should go
to another region and theres
a bug after you done some
event it will start again i wish theres a bug fixed .

We will wait for the walkthrough

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Hey, DRG: I noticed a problem with the evolution of Fraxure to Haxorus. It's attack goes down, instead of going up. I checked on YAPE, and it went from 117 to 110. It should be 145 IIRC. Just throwin that out there.
Edit: When Kirlia evolves to Gallade, it's Level goes up by a bit. I went to YAPE again, and the EXP rates do not match. Gallade's EXP Growth should be 1,250,000.

Last edited:

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Came to check in really quick and notice these 2 problems.

how can i go to omni region? Blitz says that dragon something like that please help me.

The omni region will be in Dark Rising 2. After Blitz, go through the door behind him to reach Malice Path and then to Draco Village through the building.

Hey, DRG: I noticed a problem with the evolution of Fraxure to Haxorus. It's attack goes down, instead of going up. I checked on YAPE, and it went from 117 to 110. It should be 145 IIRC. Just throwin that out there.
Edit: When Kirlia evolves to Gallade, it's Level goes up by a bit. I went to YAPE again, and the EXP rates do not match. Gallade's EXP Growth should be 1,250,000.

Haxorus stats and Gallade exp growth have been fixed in the latest update. Everyone be sure to download it until I return. Thank You.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
1D22T.png

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but Pikachu is missing its head.

PhAaW.png

However nice these grass tiles may look normally, they look *very bad* when the player is walking through them.

DMtOa.png

Considering that this battle comes with no warning in the first area before you have Pokeballs, it should probably be toned down- that damage was from a single Weather Ball at full HP.

m1wwn.png

I got lucky with the RNG so this battle wasn't as difficult but I still think it's rather silly to demand the player to defeat level 12s with Intimidate before getting Pokeballs, to say nothing of the fact that you gave the Axew line Intimidate...

N4c4y.png
lM7Sd.png

This is about as nonsensical as it gets for an area transition. Who sets up shop in a cave?

Ae2oi.png
HXiVJ.png
mIgvb.png

Every part of this encounter is soul-crushingly awful- the protagonist being railroaded into being an idiot with badly written dialogue is one thing, but then having a tutorial advise the player to use "strategy" in the face of a railroaded level 50 battle is insulting. Up to this point there have been zero opportunities to use any strategy whatsoever, as the player is not able to catch any other Pokemon, acquire any renewable items, or use moves other than Sand-Attack, Tackle, and Bite. The fact that the protagonist is both the tall opposite of silent and an idiot does not help.

xRzYZ.png
GIO65.png

I really don't have much motivation to play beyond this point, other than to continue poking holes in it- the writing is painful to read, the maps are a mess, and the game itself looks to be an poorly balanced and actively hostile grind.
The reason why you probably haven't heard anyone else critisize about these issues before is the fact the people who actually care didn't bother writing anything about it.

I personally tested this hack in Vizzed and couldn't help noticing all the things that were also pointed out here; several tile errors and bad planning at some point of the game. For instance the way you encounter that teacher using Roselia there, it shouldn't happen so you're forced to fight her, especially not because she will totally beat you up if you aren't well-prepared to face her.
It could have simply been implemented so that you could choose either YES or NO and that way, actually control the actions of the main character.

About that mart being there in the cave, I guess it makes sense because you have to get "Oak's Parcel" or whatever replaces it in this hack. Should have been implemented some other way, if possible.

Then the Tornadus battle... I can't remember what I was thinking when I had to face it. I probably laughed actually, it felt something so silly. Why should you have to face a level 50 Tornadus in the beginning of the game? If you want that to happen, go ahead but a battle like this one would have required modifying the text shown during those "introductions of battle strategies" at least.

All in all, this is not a bad hack at all (although I made it to sound like that). There are of course many good things about it as well. But just pointing out that there are several issues with it that should be fixed to make it reasonable at times.

As advice though; if you're not going to fix these issues, try to do the job better with DR2. Loaning the words of the guy who I quoted, this is actually an important thing to keep in mind; "The fact that the protagonist is both the tall opposite of silent and an idiot does not help.". There are times when you actually should make the protagonist talk!

In a game that diverts from the original pokemon typish gameplay like this does, you should consider making the main character talk during the cutscenes like this one here. They do that in almost every RPG game there, I might even say pokemon is one of the few exceptions where the main character doesn't normally talk and it's not like a rom hack must follow the same path.

All that being said, I didn't come here to shout "how bad this hack is". No. I personally wouldn't want to see someone to do the same thing with my hack.
But the thing is there are lots of things there that should be improved if you wanted the hack to be good and actually fun to be played.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 9, 2014
Great ROM but I am playing via gameboid on my galaxy s3. I got really far but it just ended. Do you have an updated version that is .GBA compatible?! Or a way to patch it so it will play via my boy or gameboid!

Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2013
Plz can someone tell me in wich parts does the game changes after the patch, for me to be sure that I applyed the patch well

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2013
can somebody please help me? i cant find where to download this game and when i click a download full version it took me to another gaming website that had nothing to do with Pokemon :(

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
can somebody please help me? i cant find where to download this game and when i click a download full version it took me to another gaming website that had nothing to do with Pokemon :(

Huh, weird. You might have clicked an ad or something. The download link you click is at the bottom of the first page, just fyi.

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2013
Hi, once again if someone coul answear my previous question I would appreciate and btw when does it comes out the dark rising 2

yxh0213

Scizor
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
I'm a student from China.My English is not very well.Could you please tell me the Download URL ?I can't find it in the Posts.Thanks alot

Back