• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blasting Off Again?

Nyjil da Kid

Jambalaya of Justice League
Years
If anything left me speechless in the new episodes was that TR escaped!!!!!!!!! The classic smoke bomb disappearance after layin' some hurt on Pikachu really put a smile on my face. TR might actually be a threat in BW =)
I was full of nostalgia seeing TR as the ruthless [and intelligent] villains that they were in the original series. I can't wait to see what other surprises are in store for the new-and-improved Team Rocket.

So...what are your impressions on the new Team Rocket?

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Nice thread. I was thinking about this. It seems like they are more ruthless which is great! No more blasting off :D

Neelh

i am so win lol!!1! :P
Years
Huh? They escaped?

How did people see that? Huh?

TRANSLATION: Someone please explain.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Wow. Just watched it, that was amazing. If it wasn't for Mijumaru... oh my daiz. I'm lovin'/scared of Team Rocket now :o So awesome!

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 13, 2021
I haven't seen any of the Black & White anime...yet.
I'm not really interested in the anime much, but the B&W series sounds very interesting.

I can agree, I remember watching some very old Pokémon episodes when I was really little and I noticed how Team Rocket actually tried to be bad. In recent times, not exactly.
And after reading your post, I'm now very eager what they will come up with in the new series!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I'm mostly hoping that they remain a threat. While their joking antics pretty much became their trademark way, Team Rocket just got so tiresome always being the easy-to-defeat villain. Watching them in the second episode was amazing, and reminded me of when the anime first started, when Jessie, James, and Meowth were dark and actually feared.

On the other hand, they really aren't the Team Rocket they've been for most of their run. The change is something to get used to, if they keep it. Which as I said, I hope they do.

Vernikova

Banned
Years
They lost the charm that they had before. An all serious Team Rocket will get stale after a while if they show up in every episode too. In fact, they almost seem out-of-character.

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
Years
I haven't actually watched the two episodes yet, but I plan on it soon. I'm really excited for this new, serious Team Rocket. I really love silly TR and everything, but I can get over it if it means they're taken more seriously as characters. I hope they stay serious (I mean, if I like it, I hope I do) for a lot of the season but I don't know if that will happen... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Nyjil da Kid

Jambalaya of Justice League
Years
They lost the charm that they had before. An all serious Team Rocket will get stale after a while if they show up in every episode too. In fact, they almost seem out-of-character.

I thought about this too. I actually wouldn't mind seeing them every episode as long they don't have some kind of conflict with Ash :-/
I can't wait to see James in action though!

Maybe that out-of-character feeling is just one of the 'fresh and new' features we'll just have to get used to?

Vernikova

Banned
Years
Nyjil da Kid said:
Maybe that out-of-character feeling is just one of the 'fresh and new' features we'll just have to get used to?

Having someone out-of-character is a bad thing in the first place. Especially if they've acted the same way for over thirteen years and all of a sudden are portrayed as competent.

Garringman

Erupting Nightmare
Years
I just saw the episodes of Best Wishes and while watching pokemon I've never had such a large smile on face. If Mijumaru hadn't jumped into the battle they would have gotten Pikachu and Kibago, I'd love to see what happened in between the time Ash left Brock and Dawn and when him Oak and his mom went to Isshu. (Speaking of that who's gonna replace Oak in Kanto for new trainers if he's all the way in Isshu, unless he goes back later.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 13, 2011
I hate this new Team Rocket. Before this, I thought the old Team Rocket was bad.

But now it seems this new Team Rocket is brainwashed and yet another normal Grunt for Giovanni.

Just by looking at the previews and clips for episodes to come, its sad to say but this Team Rocket won't be leaving any time soon.

Years
I hate this new Team Rocket. Before this, I thought the old Team Rocket was bad.

But now it seems this new Team Rocket is brainwashed and yet another normal Grunt for Giovanni.

Just by looking at the previews and clips for episodes to come, its sad to say but this Team Rocket won't be leaving any time soon.

I agree. In these two episodes its as if TR was completely drained of all their personality, they are no longer special. They aren't the fun comic relief that so many people look forward to expect anymore. If the writers keep them like this, that means no more jokes, and no more blasting off, no more Meowth balloon, and no more Wobbuffet. Seeing them break away from those traditions kind of irks me, but that's not what this really is about. The writers are misguided. Making TR "more of a threat" will not make them any less annoying, just a lot more lifeless. TR had more personality, background stories, and even more character development than any other main character in the anime's history. Now they're just boring automatons. They're suppose to be silly and charming bad guys, not dark and fierce villains.

I'm sure the dub will return them to their old self. If anything, I'd like to see them as comical yet threatening villains.

Last edited:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
i think its cool they escaped,
(didnt see it)
way better the "blasting off again" in every episode.
im not much of the fan of pokemon "comedy" or allot what some think is funny :/

im looking foward to this season, i watched a part and i was like :D

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Yes, I will miss silly Team Rocket, not Wobuffet though. They do seem out of character, and if they stay serious, I wouldn't want them in every episode. I'd like Jessie, or even James, to take part in PokeMusicals, if one of the Trio does it as well, to give them more of a human side. I'd wandering away from the thread topic now, aren't I?

Seriously though, I think they may just catch Pikachu, if that's still their aim after so long. They were almost there, they even knocked out Mamepato, if Mijumaru didn't step in. They'll probably be more prepared next time.

Evoli

All that glitters is not gold.
Years
Honestly I've been waiting for them to become more legitimate villains for a very long time now, and I'm glad they're being portrayed that way at the moment. Though like some others, I wouldn't enjoy it if they became too serious throughout the rest of the series, because their ability to be both humorous and threatening at the same time is what makes me like them so much.

SuperiorCat

トウコ
Years
Well as brilliant as it is that TR didn't blast off, I really don't think that they'll go the whole saga without blasting off.
In the first couple of episodes of the original series, Team Rocket seemed 'bad ass'. Then thoughout the series they were seen more as comedy relief characters. In D/P, TR's stupidity was ridiculous.
But smoke bombs? Me likey a lot. :3

Back