• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Wireless Adaptor

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
The wireless adaptor was an additional piece of hardware that was packaged with original copies of Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen. It was also compatible with Pokémon Emerald. It pretty much was just a wireless link cable, except it was the only way players could play Pokémon Jump, Dodrio's Berry Picking and make Berry Powder together. So what was your favourite mini-game out of the three? Did you ever use the wireless adaptor? What else should you have been able to do with them? What are your high scores in the minigames?

Discuss!

Spr_3r_357.png

So fruity~

Years
I absolutely used the Wireless Adaptor! I had a link cable that I'd obviously use when trading to Ruby and stuff, but for FireRed/LeafGreen/Emerald, I always used the Wireless Adaptor. It was of course way more convenient, and it looked cool too. However, I never got to play the Dodrio minigame since as far as I knew you needed a third person to play (but I didn't really care anyway). I DID play the Jump Rope mini-game, but rather than playing it with someone else I just played both Gameboys myself. Very social of me, indeed, but it got me a decent score if I remember correctly! :P

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I never had a wireless link adaptor, however I feel that cables would still be good enough for me. Plus, the wireless adaptor was only compatible with a few other games outside of Pokemon, and it was also released too late into the GBA's life to make a splash.

I think if they made it so that it emulated a link cable I think it would've been much better, although I do recall Majesco making a accessory that did that.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Could swear I made this a few months ago, so I came here like "omg who revived my thread" and it's new o

Anyway, I had the adapters, but had no one to use them with. Most of the original Pokemon fans at the time of gen III were going through the "Pokemon is lame" phase and quit playing, so that really limited my pool of friends to play with. I don't have the adapters anymore sadly, and I wish I did, just cause they're a neat little piece of gaming history. I mean...now we have wifi and it's really nothing special anymore to connect with people without the wires.

Anyway, never got to play the games, but I'm sure they were a neat addition at the time.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
No, sadly. First game was Emerald, and when I eventually got a copy of LeafGreen I had a) sold my GBA and b) knowingly purchased it minus the wireless adapters. Wi-fi was a godsend for me, being able to finally get an Alakazam, for example (only to find I didn't like it that much).

Years
Both copies of FireRed that I got were actually used, so I wasn't able to get one of the wireless adapters. I was actually quite disappointed that we couldn't even use a game link cable for the mini-games, since you were still connecting between the two games. I actually remember trying to play the games on Two Island with my cousin over the link cable, and I got pretty frustrated it wouldn't work, haha.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I was lucky that my brother also had a game, so we could play some of these games. It's a shame none of them were really all that good. I would say that Pokémon Jump was the best of all of them though. I really just wish I could get a high enough score to get the trainer star.

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
Ah man my brother and I try to see who can mash A the fastest in the berry crusher. I love it. Don't have enough wireless adapters to do berry picking :( Pokemon jump is pretty cool, though. Of the 2 I've played, I like them both a lot.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
Years
I have three of them which are now gathering dust in some forgotten corner. Never got to play the minigames since I didn't have any friends back then. I used them for trading between Leafgreen and Emerald and it was much better than using the cable, at least in my opinion.

Back