• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trading Scams in XY

Years
I did some search on scam related trading in Trade Corner, it seems they are none at the moment, I think. If I did something wrong, please do forgive me all mighty moderators. :-)

I've been to other Pokemon trading site, and have been reading a lot about their trading scams. Most notably, a shiny egg hatch scams. Those thieves are taking away trainers shiny pokes instead of their promise to give the pokemon back once it is hatch from the egg.

I did most of my trades in Pokecommunity, so I have never experience such scam. Well, thanks to all the trustworthy community member. Thank you!

Now, have you ever been scammed?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 22, 2014
Never been scammed on here. Haven't done any shiny egg hatching with SV and seeing as how it's been fixed won't ever be able to. Have done trading in the Trade corner and Quick trade and have yet to be scammed. Have actually made some good trading friends that I usually trade with. This community is one of the most legit I have joined. Kudos PokeCommunity!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Last edited by a moderator:

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
I was scammed only once, back near X&Y release when I was looking for Pokerus, but It wasn't anything significant. Some users on GTS will put a comment on their Pokemon such as "Has Pokerus" or "Has 3 Pft IVs" or "Has Hidden Ability" or similar, but since you are unable to see the summary of the Pokemon on GTS, there's no way to know until you do the trade..

So on GTS I traded a Pinsir for a Scyther which the comment stated: "has Pokerus", so when I got it, it of course didn't have Pokerus. Or the other day I was looking for a Fletchling with it's Hidden Ability, so I did a few blind trades on GTS, one where I posted a Snivy asking for a Fletchlinder with Gale Wings, of course the one I got didn't have it, then I did 3 trades with ones posted, one that stated it had it, of course didn't but then one of the two that had no comment, actually had it, was female (so able to breed it and pass the ability along), Japanese (so better shiny chance), and with 3 perfect IVs to boot :D!

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2020
Yep. I've ALMOST been scammed here. I was to trade away one of my shinies... i can't remember which one it was. Anyway, it was supposed to be a 2 for one trade. I was giving him 2 of my pokemon for one of his. He wanted to trade me a Bunnelby for the first one. I asked him to trade me his shiny Bulbasaur first for my shiny. lol

He said he couldn't find Bulbasaur anymore.

What a n00b.

Needless to say I didn't trade him. That was my closest experience to being ripped off here.

Fluffy-Chimera

There are no safe paths in this part of the world.
Years
I am relatively new here, and have never been ripped off thankfully. ^ ^

It's nice, most people here seem to be very nice and trustworthy.
I have even become friends with a few of the people I have traded with~

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Yep. I've ALMOST been scammed here. I was to trade away one of my shinies... i can't remember which one it was. Anyway, it was supposed to be a 2 for one trade. I was giving him 2 of my pokemon for one of his. He wanted to trade me a Bunnelby for the first one. I asked him to trade me his shiny Bulbasaur first for my shiny. lol

He said he couldn't find Bulbasaur anymore.

What a n00b.

Needless to say I didn't trade him. That was my closest experience to being ripped off here.
Wow, good thing you didn't fall for it! :D

It's good to know trade is mostly safe for those who are trading here. Means I'm doing my job right. :D

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
I've been scammed on Pokecommunity. The mods were very helpful in resolving it even though I can't get my Pokemon back.

My trade policy is that if someone is unsatisfied with a trade because of a mistake I made, I'll trade back no questions asked.

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
So far I been lucky, of the many trades I have done (in various Pokemon forums not just PokeCommunity) all have been successful, and the other person who traded with me has also been happy as well.

Sorry to hear that some have had bad experience.

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
Years
Haven't been scammed here. I did get scammed at the GTS though. I was collecting legends before bank and I saw an Azelf, there person was asking for a heat ran and said the Azelf was 5IV. I though, YOLO, and decided to go for it. Of course it was not 5IV, but glad those things are easy to dispose of at that time :P

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 8, 2023
I just joined last month and have done some trades here and there and so far no scams yet :) Its really great that people here can be trusted

Shhmew

Years
Blah, the GTS is a terrible place to trade, unless you're just trying to complete the pokedex or something. The messages saying like "6IVs" or "hidden ability" are almost never accurate. ]:

I prefer trading through forums, but I haven't traded on PC yet. I traded a few times on a past pokemon forum and it was fine, though there were a LOT of scamming incidents there.

I've learned though, through witnessing NUMEROUS scams, you should always try to trade with people you trust. Close friends, staff members, traders with a good reputation and/or have been around the site for a good while... if you are trading with a complete stranger, you should take the following precautions...
Spoiler:

Just stuff I've learned :( Don't like seeing people get ripped off.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I've never personally been scammed, but I was accused of it once by someone who legitimately sent me an egg with the wrong shiny value. Even had EV prove it for me.

The only time I have really been aware of someone being scammed was before the ban on shiny mew, and back in gen 5, when someone on the forums traded an obviously hacked (and I mean it was SUPER obvious) for a bunch of awesome shiny Pokemon.

Years
I don't know if it counts, but I literally put a level 1 Omanyte on the GTS ages ago. Just went back to put something else up, turns out I got an Articuno out of it. I feel some people are really dumb.

uncleteemo

Platinum God C:
Years
I don't know if it counts, but I literally put a level 1 Omanyte on the GTS ages ago. Just went back to put something else up, turns out I got an Articuno out of it. I feel some people are really dumb.

Nah not a scam :P
I did the same, but with a bronzong on the gts, i farmed about 20 legendaries. It doesn't work anymore :(

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
Years
this place is great! I'm so glad that I found this forum because I was able to secure many legit legendaries from gen 1-6 through trading with other reputable users.
GTS isn't that safe anymore when it comes to trading since there might be some people trading hacked pokemon to you.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
I have not been scammed here. I've received some hacks and Pokemon that was not what we agreed to trade, but they have been honest mistakes and the people involved have acted very maturely about it. It is great to know that people are this way.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I've seen scams a lot around here, but it isn't a new phenomenon with XY. It's been happening on and off for years as there are always dishonest people. When I do shiny egg giveaways, that's what they are... giveaways. If it doesn't hatch shiny for you, either your TSV is wrong or I ♥♥♥♥ed up (unlikely ;)).

Back