• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Blue And Silver; Which Rival is the best?

Which Rival Is Better?

• Total voters

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
A wild Question appeared! ROFLMAO

Basically, state your opinion on who is better! Blue and Silver are both ****** rivals, but there can only be one best.

Oh, and PLEASE don't mention how the rivals were in FR/LG or HG/SS. Remember that this is the Metal And Colour Generation Forum!

Okay, post away!

Ven Bloodia

Unmenschsoldat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 1, 2015
For me it's Silver without a doubt, in both team and personality when compared to Blue.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Silver is quite a good rival in my opinion too!

Both are good, but here's my opinion on both of them.

Blue - This is the first rival. The rival that started it ALL. He has quite a History during the R/B/G/Y Games, such as becoming Champion, and possibly losing his Raticate. He is a very overconfident guy and is a bit like Silver when it comes to treating Pokemon nicely, but he had MUCH more success than Silver. Blue was a Rival, Champion, and a Gym Leader. This all happened in only 3 years. His team is sort of good (He, in fact, uses many Pokémon, and the Pokemon he has are very good in my opinion), but in my opinion there are others who have much better Teams, or is just a lot better than him according to treating their Pokemon. But I have to say, Blue is one of my Favourites, as Silver is one of my favourites too, but he is still quite flawed.

Silver - This is overall the better Rival in my opinion. He has got much more of a Rival Personality and trains some good Pokémon, ranging from Sweepers to Confounders (But his lack for owning many Pokemon puts this in a slight downfall, as you would know what to expect). He can still be battled when you're in Kanto, which actually makes this Rival much better, as Blue will only be found in Kanto. When it comes to building friendships, Silver is not the guy you would usually expect to be good at it, but as you come closer and closer to finishing the Game, Silver is kind of a bit kinder to his Pokemon. He isn't perfect, of course, nothing is perfect. Silver feels the need to call you "Weak" despite him losing to you every battle.

So yeah, the answer from me is going to have to be Silver. He has so many qualities Blue doesn't have. But please remember that Blue has way more Pokémon (Some of which are MUCH better than Silver's)...

Years
While Blue was your original rival, and I always enjoyed beating him in the Pokemon League, Silver would have to be my favorite of the two rivals. He shows a lot more character progression throughout the game than Blue did, and he seemed like much more of a rival then just the snobby kid who lived next door (which is exactly what Blue was). And I have to agree that Blue's teams were better in terms of power, but overall, I liked Silver's team much better.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I like Silver better. One BIG reason is he doesn't want to 'smell you later' that's creepy. But mostly, I think that your rival should be the antagonist and Silver's thief habits help to build on that plus he looks cooler in my opinion.

~Sincerely
PikakittenX, devout.member of the Pokecommunity

Years
We all know Blue just wants to be better than you, he is jealous because Prof. Oak likes the way you raise pokemon. We know very deep in his soul, Blue is a nice person.
Silver is just what we call pure hate, he hates you, he hates tam rocket, he hates gym leaders, he just wants to beat everyone's a**es and conquer the world. We don't really know if he has a soul. He also has a very good team, way better team than Blue's team.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
I like Blue, personality wise. But I'd say Silver is more of a challenge, he has a better Pokemon team.

Max'd_Out

Keyblade Master
Years
I like Silver because he was always a challenge (not that Blue wasn't), but also because of what I thought at the time was a complex backstory. You really don't know that much about him as you're playing through the game. You know that he hates Team Rocket, and even though you don't know why at the time, we all found out soon enough. As a kid, that was the kind of thing that blew my mind.

Fuyuki~

Banned
Years
Both are good but I like Silver better. At least he had some character development unlike the formerly mentioned character. His backstory is also rather interesting.

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
blue. he had many more pokemon because he was trying to catch them all. the gen I games were harder in general, but the rival blue had a big variety with ranging movesets, so you didn't really know what to expect. his levels were higher, but that is because the story was longer, and the entire game in general was tougher.

silver was tough, but easy mto predict, and the movesets were very predictable. he always had a sneasle, a starter. a ghastly line, and some darks. he was predictable, which made it easy to prepare for him.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Blue definitely has strong points; he was very successful in irritating the player. But Silver takes my vote, because he has true personality.

Don't get me wrong, Blue has personality, too, but we really get to watch Silver grow as we progress through the games. While Blue just talks big and builds up his team to be the Champion, Silver picks fights with Team Rocket, steals his starter from Elm and a Sneasel from a boy in Cianwood, and gets his behind handed to him by the Dragon Elder. We watch him go from being a hot-shot to a more humble character; when you challenge him for the final time in Mt. Moon and he tells you "I'm going to be nice to my Pokemon...I've learned from my horrible ways," you almost don't believe him.

And then you see his Crobat.
That is real storytelling.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
I say silver for one reason and one reason only.... when I first played the game i couldn't tell if he was a boy or a girl... besides i lost more times to silver then i ever did to blue.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I'm going to have to go with Silver because I had more of a problem trying to defeat him then I did with Blue; it could be because Silver is the 2nd generation and there were more Pokemon to chose from which made it more difficult to come up with strategies.

:t354:TG

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I liked Blue as a rival better. Idk why, I think it's because I didn't like Silver's hair. Plus I liked how Blue became a Gym Leader in the 2nd gen and it annoyed me how Silver got to steal a Sneasel and you only got a Shuckle which you give back later.

KitsuneLugia96

Trainer Silver
Years
This is hard for me because Pokemon Red was the first Pokemon game I played, but I had better memories for the II gen. Blue is my second favorite rival, I would have to say. But I prefer Silver, he is my favorite.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Blue actually becomes a Gym Leader, and he's cooler looking than Silver. He's better.

Back