• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Writing Ideas

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
So where do you guys come up with most of your writing ideas? Do you record them down somewhere to be remembered for later use? Do you start writing your ideas out right away, or do you develop them. If you do develop the idea, how far do you go into developing your ideas?

I'll post my answers later when I've read some other responses. Here are some questions to get those brains working on an answer.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Sometimes, I write down ideas. They come to me as I'm randomly reading/writing/thinking, so I just grab a notebook and get down the basic idea. When it comes time to use those ideas, I think about them a little more and develop them there. Any development isn't much until I'm going to actually use the idea because sometimes these are just the craziest ideas and they don't always get used.

Other times, the little idea forms in the back of my mind and sits there. I don't think about it. I don't write it down. It just sits and festers until I start to write about it. And then it explodes out of my fingers and is a truly magical experience.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
My best ideas seem to surface between one and three in the morning. My brain is usually going a million miles an hour, but being tired slows it down to a manageable level. I get pretty lucid and can imagine things more clearly, even though logic takes a backseat, haha. Therefore I get a little window of prime writing time every evening if I choose to stay up and I don't have too many stressful things to think about.

After I get an idea, I tend to let it roll around in my head for a while. Pretty much everything I write is a result of getting caught up on a particular idea for a decent amount of time, anywhere from a week for short stuff to a few years for longer projects. Basically, if I'm not sick of an idea after a while, it tends to mean I'm passionate enough to write it. During the interim I'm usually fleshing out the idea, forging connections between it and other ideas, or just daydreaming about it constantly. Every once in a while I jot an idea down, which happens more if it's about a project I'm already working on. This helps me visualize things a lot better, but I don't do it nearly as often as I should.

As for where I get ideas...commonly in the shower or while taking a walk. Music has also spawned an improbable amount of my work. Walking while listening to music is probably the most potent weapon against writer's block I've ever encountered.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
Ideas.....the two hotspots for me are when I'm in the shower, and when I'm trying to go to sleep. I always seem to come up with ideas that just Need to be written down when I'm trying to do something else, haha.

as for developing them, usually I daydream about the idea for a while before I write any of it down. I like to get at least a bit of an idea of what's going to happen. then I just sort of...start writing, and see what happens. once I have motivated characters and a world, and a couple of solid events that I want to happen, I can usually get the story going.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
My ideas come at the most random times and they don't come often. My ideas are mostly based off of other things, but with some major twists. Once I do get an idea, I try to write it down ASAP so I don't forget it. Even though I don't get a lot of ideas, I'm still very picky about which ideas I write about. I have around ten ideas saved on my computer, but I think only one of them will ever get written out. Once I decide on an idea, I let it brew in my head and I start writing down ideas for major scenes and just designing the entire story. Sure, I'll throw away the map by the second chapter, but it helps me stay dedicated to seeing the idea through.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
I tend to get a lot of ideas whenever I play video games that have my full interest. Adventure games and RPGs really get me thinking about how I can strengthen the plotlines of my ongoing chaptered fanfics and occasionally inspire some interesting ideas for one-shots. (Alternatively, I draw a lot of inspiration from the furry fandom. I know some people tend to associate it with a lot of negative things, but I've actually found that there's a lot more creativity in the lighter aspects of the fandom than in anything else I'm into and it inspires a lot of my own ideas to a point.)

As far as developing my ideas, I tend to write down as much as I can whenever I get inspired and then set things aside so I can come back to them at a later date. You'd be surprised how effective it is to come back and revise stuff after you've had a while to think things over between time.

Back