• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K/3 Pokemon Battle System

Are you planning on using the battle sys in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 16.1%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
This a thread strictly for about how we should go about making
the battle system. This is not a thread for requesting one.

If anyone has any ideas, please post. I know Krazy Meerkat and Darkmage
are already making one, so I thought that if we get more people helping,
it'll get completed faster. I'm hoping that many people will help. (I've also changed my mind about not helping)

Years
Good idea Daegon! Someone that would be handy would be a person who could modify some of the pokemon backs I have to look like some of the modified pokemon I have.

Years
They are from this site: http://www.vilhjalmur.com/butterfree/gallery.htm
I am NOT claiming credit from them I just want to use them in the game.
I will give full credit to Butterfree aka Dragonfree regaurding her modified pokemon (if we use them) I am pretty sure we have permission because:
Butterfree aka Dragonfree said:
If you use them, be sure to give credit because I worked hard on them.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Krazy_Meerkat said:
They are from this site: http://www.vilhjalmur.com/butterfree/gallery.htm
I am NOT claiming credit from them I just want to use them in the game.
I will give full credit to Butterfree aka Dragonfree regaurding her modified pokemon (if we use them) I am pretty sure we have permission because:

Hm, is there a way to make a poll? We still need to make a name for it. I like Pokemon Supreme, but Meerkat prefers something like "Pokemon Orange Islands." What do you all think?

Years
Yep, thats the plan! I am going to use all the original backgrounds from ruby. Does anyone have any opinions on the new pokemon idea? I would really like to see some new pokmon in our game. It would add a kool spin on things.

Years
ive made alot of new ones, but its easier to draw them off line than on the comp ...so ill try to get my scanner hooked up soon, and post some new pokemon ideas

...for my game i added a third evolution for feebas...febotus...an ugly pokemon like a mix of milotiv and feebas, and its the mid evolution

zephadus

Trainer upset about # of PKMN
Years
DarkMage31 said:
Hm, is there a way to make a poll? We still need to make a name for it. I like Pokemon Supreme, but Meerkat prefers something like "Pokemon Orange Islands." What do you all think?
Crazy... I was calling MY Pok?mon game "Pok?mon Supreme" up until now...
I started it when? Uhh... After I beat Pok?mon Gold...
So a month or so after it came out.
Anyway, I'm gonna change it now, because I've realized because you guys thought of it, it's a commonplace name, likely used 100 times over. lol
Good luck on your game, and super good luck with the CBS!
That's gonna be a pain. o_O

Years
DarkMage31 said:
lol, yeah. We need a name for this project. So how do you make those poll thingies???

The Poll thing can only be made by the person who started the thread, in this case Daegon, about the project name im not sure.. but if the battle system ever gets scripted, why not make a whole game, say everybody here thats good at RM2k3 get together as 1 team and work on an ENTIRE game, that would be interesting

Lucifer.

Custom'D
Years
A true Pokemon CBS is one hefty task to undertake. I can't even get a basic side-view battle system up and working without smashing my tea mug through the computer monitor.

You have to factor in every single monster, their traits, the different skill effects (stat altering/status-inducing and things like Mean Look), stats, trainer Pokemon AI (can't have your Elite Four Psychic master attempting to use Psybeam on your Houndoom, eh?), and loads of other junk. It'll be mammoth.

Basically then, I'm of no use here ;), despite having been an RM2K/3 user for nearly two years now. I do know what you've got ahead of you though, and it'll be interesting to see if you can pull it off. Best of luck.

Years
Lucifer said:
A true Pokemon CBS is one hefty task to undertake. I can't even get a basic side-view battle system up and working without smashing my tea mug through the computer monitor.

You have to factor in every single monster, their traits, the different skill effects (stat altering/status-inducing and things like Mean Look), stats, trainer Pokemon AI (can't have your Elite Four Psychic master attempting to use Psybeam on your Houndoom, eh?), and loads of other junk. It'll be mammoth.

Basically then, I'm of no use here ;), despite having been an RM2K/3 user for nearly two years now. I do know what you've got ahead of you though, and it'll be interesting to see if you can pull it off. Best of luck.

I know its hard, thats why i'd suggest starting from the basics, such as coding attack and items first, by having 1 or 2 pokemons as test subjects (>=D) and then try to AI them and see how it works, well thats just a thought

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
I know its hard, thats why i'd suggest starting from the basics, such as coding attack and items first, by having 1 or 2 pokemons as test subjects (>=D) and then try to AI them and see how it works, well thats just a thought
Yeah, it is mammoth. That's why we want as many people working on it as we can!

Meerkat did a custom Enter Hero Name screen for later ease in the Pokemon battle system. I'm doing a lot with the CMS and navigation of the battle sys, and some graphics. What we have so far is all the basics of a fight in one turn- You see your trainer on screen, you see the pokeball throw just like on the GBA, and then you can select Fight and there is one move, Tackle, that works. I'm incorporating the scenery pan in the beginning and adding all the pkmn into the engine. Here're some screens:

Avatar> And that's what we're doing, it's a whole game, and anyone who wants to help can join. We have ppl doing map design, chipsets, charsets, and everything! It's not just a system. w00ters! However, our first release is most likely just going to be the system because I know a lot of people are looking forward to the release for the CBS so they can use it in their games (we're nice that way). I mean, think about it: wouldn't it be nice to put something together that is used in every single game of this genre from this day on? What a great feeling!

Years
DarkMage31 said:
Yeah, it is mammoth. That's why we want as many people working on it as we can!

Meerkat did a custom Enter Hero Name screen for later ease in the Pokemon battle system. I'm doing a lot with the CMS and navigation of the battle sys, and some graphics. What we have so far is all the basics of a fight in one turn- You see your trainer on screen, you see the pokeball throw just like on the GBA, and then you can select Fight and there is one move, Tackle, that works. I'm incorporating the scenery pan in the beginning and adding all the pkmn into the engine. Here're some screens:

Avatar> And that's what we're doing, it's a whole game, and anyone who wants to help can join. We have ppl doing map design, chipsets, charsets, and everything! It's not just a system. w00ters! However, our first release is most likely just going to be the system because I know a lot of people are looking forward to the release for the CBS so they can use it in their games (we're nice that way). I mean, think about it: wouldn't it be nice to put something together that is used in every single game of this genre from this day on? What a great feeling!

The Battle system looks very nice so far (except you forgot to change Hero graphics) and the Name system looks good too, oh and i'd help out, with map design / some graphics, etc and might help with a little coding, i have never been good at coding.. maybe its because im too impatient to learn coding.. oh well i'd still help, just tell me if you need any help

Years
Ahem.. I have actually done all that in those screenshots by myself so I would like some help with the items screen. I could get you the background of inside the bag, but someone needs to program it themselves, I'm on holiday :P. I am good at programming AI. And don't you worry they won't smash you into the ground and stomp on you then take your wallet. (just the first two :P)
Yep we do have some test pokemon, We are going to add the enemy's turn in soon. I haven't got time right now because I have to finish my other game. I really like this battle, I am sure we can replicate the original system almost 100%. Yes lots of people want to use our battle in their game so we will do that first.. They might have to add the pokemon in by themselves.. I don't really feel like programming in 300 and something pokemon just so someone can have a fully done battle. Anyway, if I dont then they can choose which pokemon they want in their games. So it may be a good idea.. (phew!!)
With everyone we have working in the team so far, our game should be remembered as one of the best pokemon games made by ameatures (sp?).. well hopefully it will. Anyway sorry if i got carried away with how good our game will be (:P) but i just love working on this, it has something special that just makes me wanna keep working on it.
The hero is in the corner because this is still very early in development and I dont feel like taking him away :P

Anyway I had better go now... gotta move my stuff up 2 my dads for a term.. this way I can upload faster (cable internet :D) and I will have way more resources and stuff. Well, untill I see you guys. (which wont actually be that long.. like a couple hours lol)

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
I'll contribute by ripping some screens of my FR rom.

--EDIT--
I think it's best trying to make the item and battle screen not fill full screen.
It'll look better that way in my opinion. And for the border that's blank, well, I haven't got any idea on how to fill them. (or should we?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back