• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I think that men that are gay and are masculine are great. I just don't like when they PROCLAIM themselves as being "straight-acting". I understand that they do not want to be known for having stereotypical gay traits, but I also see it as an insecurity, and SOMETIMES as sign of disrespect for other LGBT individuals. I am masculine and I am not "straight-acting" - I am gay (no acts attached). I actually used act like feminine gay men and transgender people were beneath me in a sense; that was a long time ago. I just think that we as minorities like to throw someone else under the bus, after we have been throw under it. Now, I don't need to assert that I am anymore masculine than anyone else, nor do I think that I should be cautious of hanging out with someone if they appear to possess feminine qualities - it's so hypocritical. Also, I am less insecure of who I am. Although this is my personal anecdote, I think many others have shown their insecurities in a similar fashion.

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
Years
I think that men that are gay and are masculine are great. I just don't like when they PROCLAIM themselves as being "straight-acting". I understand that they do not want to be known for having stereotypical gay traits, but I also see it as an insecurity, and SOMETIMES as sign of disrespect for other LGBT individuals. I am masculine and I am not "straight-acting" - I am gay (no acts attached). I actually used act like feminine gay men and transgender people were beneath me in a sense; that was a long time ago. I just think that we as minorities like to throw someone else under the bus, after we have been throw under it. Now, I don't need to assert that I am anymore masculine than anyone else, nor do I think that I should be cautious of hanging out with someone if they appear to possess feminine qualities - it's so hypocritical. Also, I am less insecure of who I am. Although this is my personal anecdote, I think many others have shown their insecurities in a similar fashion.
I used to be a bit of a bully when I was younger ^-^' I'd pick fights all the time while I was in elementary school and I'd pester the special needs kid who was in my class. Twas mad and everything and I was never particularly popular. After a while I just started feeling bad about it and I changed. So I guess I already went down that path :P I'm not planning on hating anyone now except for my sister and my mother of whom I give myself permission to hate.

As for the topic of how far you would go... well... I've been really asking for a lot of help from friends lately xD So I don't really see myself right now as the type of person who'd be able to "help" anyone, but maybe it'd be nice to help a guy together as buddies :3 Though that type of plotline usually ends up... @-@

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Welcome, Pikapal642, of course you can join! To be honest I thought you'd already joined haha - there are so many people now!

As for the topic, I think those who go out of their way to proclaim that they're straight acting probably deserve some compassion. I think it means that they're having a harder time with the whole gay thing than those who don't feel the need to do so, and we should be mindful of that. Most of the time it's not easy to accept oneself as gay, so they're doing what they can to feel like this doesn't change who they are and they're overcompensating. I'm sure this isn't a life-long behaviour, they just need time to grow happier with who they are as a person.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
How do you feel about self-proclaimed "straight-acting" gay guys who go out of their way to explain or show that they are manly, not effeminate, and even show disdain for transgender related things? Are they trying to seem less pejorative?

Currently, I could give two [ohmycensorships] about if anyone considers me masculine or effeminate, but I'm more masculine so.... yeah. That's cool. I like it that way. :3

But before, I was totally one of those insecure guys. But I've learned just to not care. And I say that with the upmost emphasis on exasperation. Masculinity and being manly isn't everything, and you know what? What's me is me and I have better things to do then freak out about something as silly as masculinity.

How far would you go for supporting a friend who is gay? Like if they were going to a gay bar for the first time and wanted you for moral support, or they invited you to a Marty Gras parade. Where do you draw the line?

To the point where if I wasn't interested in them, I would make sure our relationship was purely platonic and understgood mutally to be such.

If the tables were flipped though, I wouldn't ask a straight guy.... actually, I don't know. I have a couple of straight guy friends who would probably take of their shirt and dance.

But most likely I'd take my best friend, most likely female, for moral support. No weird "should we be advancing romantically" feelings that way. Or better yet, a boyfriend if I had one!

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
Welcome, Pikapal642, of course you can join! To be honest I thought you'd already joined haha - there are so many people now!

As for the topic, I think those who go out of their way to proclaim that they're straight acting probably deserve some compassion. I think it means that they're having a harder time with the whole gay thing than those who don't feel the need to do so, and we should be mindful of that. Most of the time it's not easy to accept oneself as gay, so they're doing what they can to feel like this doesn't change who they are and they're overcompensating. I'm sure this isn't a life-long behaviour, they just need time to grow happier with who they are as a person.

You just posted exactly how I felt about the topic. :\ I was gonna think what to type up but then this happened. XD

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
You can join? I thought it just a 'post-here-if you're-interested' sort of thing. Oh well, sign me up!

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Hey, Chris. xD Thought you were already a member here, but welcome.

Being gay should not be about an act. I don't understand people (gay or straight) who go out of their way to pretend they're someone that they're not. Why don't they just be themselves?

I think some people are just afraid, either because of their own issues, or afraid of what others will think of them. All comes to people judging and perceiving others. D; I think a lot of people who are of the LGBT group go through a point where they try to be something they're not.

Feels like I jumped around between all the letters in the title of this thread before I was actually okay with accepting things. xD;
For awhile it say "MAYBE I'M STRAIGHT. MAYBE I'M GAY. OR WAIT MAYBE I'M ASEXUAL. MAYBE I'M TRANSGENDER."
In the end, I'm a couple of things wrapped together and I've stopped labeling it, because I'm just myself.
Though, it took a lot of denial, and acting like someone I wasn't for some time to be able to get there.

Last edited:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
As someone who has only come out of the closet to three people (my parents and one very understanding friend), I've spent a lot of time hiding my true self from people left I go through the same experience that happened when I came out to my parents. To be blunt, they did not take it well and practically disowned me.
I just want to wait until I'm not afraid to be judged by those around me who don't agree with my sexuality.

Shining Raichu

Years
You can join? I thought it just a 'post-here-if you're-interested' sort of thing. Oh well, sign me up!

Well it is, more or less, but we keep a list of all the members anyway lol

Now, onto Ctrl.Alt.Geak's article. This is absolutely fantastic, it makes me so happy! There's still a lot of ground to cover, but at least someone has finally done something. There were quite a few things that bugged me in this article though:

But the motion has disappointed others like the Anglican Bishop of Tasmania, John Harrower. "I think it's good to keep marriage to mean what it means, and for their relationships to have another term," he said.
"I can't see that that's discrimination. I can see that it's a description of a different sort of relationship.
"A loving relationship between same-sex couples, which is a civil union, a committed partnership, whatever term they might like to have, is a descriptor of that sort of relationship, as marriage is a descriptor of a relationship between a man and a woman."
That made me literally shake with rage. I hate that distinction he drew between the type of relationship. IT'S THE SAME TYPE OF RELATIONSHIP. Also, you jackass, it just so happens that marriage is the term we might like to have. Spheal with it, YOU LOSE. This 'us and them' attitude he's adopted carries a particular note of superiority to which he, of all people, has no right. It also shows the disdain with which "they" see "us".

The bottom line is this; I've said it before and I'll say it again: Separate is not equal, and it's not good enough anymore.

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
Years
As someone who has only come out of the closet to three people (my parents and one very understanding friend), I've spent a lot of time hiding my true self from people left I go through the same experience that happened when I came out to my parents. To be blunt, they did not take it well and practically disowned me.
I just want to wait until I'm not afraid to be judged by those around me who don't agree with my sexuality.
And I haven't told my mother and I don't plan on telling my mother :3 She's already abandoned me 6 times and is making a 7th atempt to abandon me... and that's without being gay :/ Pretty much if my mom loses this lawsuit, she's planning on staying with her brother who hates me and won't allow me into his house. So that would make me homeless and on my own... again. There's no way on plan on pushing things ^-^ Even though I want nothing to do with my mother when I'm finally an adult.

Hey, Chris. xD Thought you were already a member here, but welcome.

I think some people are just afraid, either because of their own issues, or afraid of what others will think of them. All comes to people judging and perceiving others. D; I think a lot of people who are of the LGBT group go through a point where they try to be something they're not.

Feels like I jumped around between all the letters in the title of this thread before I was actually okay with accepting things. xD;
For awhile it say "MAYBE I'M STRAIGHT. MAYBE I'M GAY. OR WAIT MAYBE I'M ASEXUAL. MAYBE I'M TRANSGENDER."
In the end, I'm a couple of things wrapped together and I've stopped labeling it, because I'm just myself.
Though, it took a lot of denial, and acting like someone I wasn't for some time to be able to get there.
*claps hands* Yay for you :3 It's great that people are coming to terms with things xD

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
The bottom line is this; I've said it before and I'll say it again: Separate is not equal, and it's not good enough anymore.
Couldnt have put it better really. I'm hoping this will be a step forward though and that it does actually succeed, then hopefully other states will follow suit. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
Still it was a pleasent suprise (even if a few tossers like to play the "marriage is between a man and a woman" card amoungst other empty arguments) and I will be interested to see where this goes.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
Oh, the separate-yet-equal argument. Mhmm, 'cause that worked out so well before the civil rights movement of the United States, and all over the world for that matter. I really wish religious zealots would just realize that their "sacred institution" is no longer about religion at all. It's a legal term. To be married comes with financial and legal privileges that should be shared between all couples who wish to make that level of devotion. No, we shouldn't have to call it something else. Why? Because our relationships aren't any different than that of a heterosexual couples'. No less important - therefore the same. Why should we call it anything different?

Honestly, I don't even think it's about defending the definition of the institution anymore. It's just about discrimination. People can justify it by any means they want, but the bottom line is they're just doing it out of hate. Only difference is most of society looks down upon outright hatred so they need an excuse. Not that this reason stops everyone...

About the whole "acting straight" thing...

Really, just be who you want to be. If you're naturally more masculine and like to do more characteristically, and I use that term lightly, "straight" things, then by all means do. If you like to express your more characteristically feminine side, then do so. However, it's not really okay for the gay community to turn on each other over something so petty. Personally, I find masculine gay guys more attractive, so I've run into my fair share of guys who think it's wrong to "act gay," even though they clearly are themselves. How exactly can you "act" to be something you are...? You mean don't "act effeminate." Still kind of hurtful to say so, but at least use correct, not-so-stereotypical syntax.

...and on a more friendly note. Hey there! o/ Larry would like to join, please~

Shining Raichu

Years
Hello Larry, welcome! I've been hoping to get to know you for a while now, hopefully this will present the opportunity! :)

Hiidoran said:
No, we shouldn't have to call it something else. Why? Because our relationships aren't any different than that of a heterosexual couples'.

This randomly reminded me of a really touching moment on Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List. I'm not sure if any of you have ever watched it, but yeah lol. In an episode in Season 5, she visited a home for LGBT teenagers who had been thrown out on the street by their families for being gay. There was one scene where she was sitting with them in their bedroom talking about gay marriage (because they were to attend a rally the following day). One of the boys said to Kathy, "It's just love. I mean, sure, it's a different kind of love, but..." to which Kathy just shrugged and said, "Well... maybe not so different." That scene always gets to me.

If anyone's interested, the episode is called "Norma Gay", I'm sure you can find it somewhere. The episode was nominated for an Emmy which it should have won, it's a really good hour of television.

Also,

Hiidoran said:
their "sacred institution" is no longer about religion at all. It's a legal term.

This.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Damns this place posts so often I can't keep up. ^_^;
So, how do kids with same sex parents address them? Mommy 1 and Mommy 2?

Back