• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm thinking of writing a fan fic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucariojon

{Ruff Rabbit}
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Well,I'm thinking of writing a Pokemon fan fic soon,so I was wondering,does anyone have any advice on how to make a good fan fiction?

Thanks to everyone who helps =)

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2012
You should plan out your story before you start writing. Trust me, it might be really annoying and long to do, but this comes from somebody who never planned her story and whose every fic has failed. =P

MegaSlowBro.

泣かないで。
Years
Just go for it, and make an outline to help you write it ^_^ Other than that, be prepared for criticism, but don't take it too seriously. You should pay attention to them if they have constructive criticism - it could help make your fan fic better! =D

Sire

Making Flareon Own You
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Plan it out first, and definitely make sure your plot is a good one and can last throughout the whole fic. Remember not to take criticism too hard, but even read some of the mean ones. They may know what they're talking about and help you improve.

Good luck! :]

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Grammar.
Storyline.
Originality.

That's about it; also, don't approve of every review thrown your way, either. Take from the reviews what is actually correct, or what might make it easier to read / fix it up a bit. Keep your original style, though, but improve on it lightly. If someone complains about something you do / write: remember. It's fiction (not real), which means anything goes, and it's YOUR story, not anyone else's.

S'all really. Be open to critique, but don't accept everything people feed you.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
That's about it; also, don't approve of every review thrown your way, either. Take from the reviews what is actually correct, or what might make it easier to read / fix it up a bit.

Don't discount reviews, either. You post your story on a forum to get a full spectrum of feedback from objective reviewers, not just bits and pieces you believe to be true. The only way a review can be absolutely false is if it either can be disproven by fact (read: someone is telling you to break the rules of grammar) or can't be fit into your story after all (like a suggestion you can't use because it you aren't able to work with it after all -- for example, a plot point suggestion that you can't meet because your plans go in a completely different direction that you're going to explain thoroughly later on).

Instead of calling a review correct or incorrect and instead of passing judgement on whether or not you actually pay attention to a review because you wish to "approve" of it, think about what's being said for awhile and try to understand why a reviewer said it. All a review is is your story in someone else's eyes. If they spot what they believe to be a hole in your thinking, it's not necessarily outright incorrect. It's simply the way someone without author's bias sees your work.

Beyond that, lucariojon, aside from what others have said, my advice would be to simply write and post. Everyone's first fanfiction is at most mediocre, but that's perfectly okay. Allow the community to help you find ways to improve your style. It's hard to give you advice on how to weave a great fanfiction without having an understanding about what you already know from past writing experiences (roleplaying and original fiction included). Otherwise, we may accidentally give you advice that doesn't actually help you. The only way to gauge your skill is by having you show us what you can do and working with you from there.

Otherwise, take lessons from the community. It's your best tool to learn. Read a lot of fanfiction and a lot of reviews -- both the long ones, the short ones, the good ones, and the bad ones. The best way to understand how fanfiction works is by reading a lot of it. That way, you can see the mistakes other people have made, the tips reviewers have given writers, what plots have been done to death, and so on and so forth.

Read discussion threads and get a handle on who your potential audience is. The way to get a popular fanfiction is to appeal to the likes of the community. If the members of the community want something fresh and new, give them something fresh and new, not a new trainer story like everyone else's. However, if the members of the community lap new trainer stories up like honey laced with cocaine (and there are some communities like this -- Fanfiction.net, for example), give them a new trainer story. This isn't necessarily the way to a good fanfiction, but the more views and feedback you get, the more likely you'll net some good advice that will help you refine your style and prepare yourself for some serious work. Not to mention that nowadays, there seems to be some confusion between what's quality writing and what's popular. Or, long story short, paying attention to what your readers want in terms of genre allows you to experiment and figure out what works and what doesn't without having a dead channel of feedback, if that makes sense.

I guess what I'm saying is:

1. Just post something, and we'll be able to help you figure out where your strengths and weaknesses already lie, which in turn will help you figure out how to write great fanfiction. Granted, this means your first one may or may not be crap, but that's an experience everyone deals with.

2. If you're not willing to post without getting advice first (which is perfectly understandable because it is rather intimidating sometimes), you've already got pages upon pages of great advice in the forum. The best way to learn is to get examples, and the best way to get examples is to see the information trade in action. Use everyone else as your way of figuring out what to do and what to avoid. It's a great way to be lazy and learn before you get chewed on.

Good luck with your first one. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:

miley810

Assassin
Years
Mine is stick to the story,and before u put down a single letter for the story think the plot out,and the charecters,the looks,what starter pokemon is there going to be,what pokemon are going to be there to catch,and is ur story going to have anything to do with legendarys,I sudjust doing something from the pokemons point of veiw,I don't see many of those.I'm in the middle of a pokemon human one right now,I would like to see one where I can sort of remember how its done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back